January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Mat Kendrick still thinks we will get a couple in

He also thought we might get Sissoko?

Lambert was lead to believe he could bring in decent CM and a CB - after making contact all the targets are out of our price range (wages-wise).

The only chance of new faces would be a couple of Chester/Stephens/Trotter-type signings but I believe Lambert will hold off from that because he wants to strengthen the first XI not the squad

Despite people wanted 100% cast-iron guarantees about whether we will sign anyone or not, anybody with more than two brain-cells to rub together knows that situations change but as things stand today signings are highly unlikely

Edited by VillaCas

No "We should sign the duck yadayadayada' responses yet?

Don't be silly we all know the duck wants 75k a week and will have to lower his demands only thing is other clubs might meet his demands before we do.

Don't be silly we all know the duck wants 75k a week and will have to lower his demands only thing is other clubs might meet his demands before we do.

We won't be able to settle the bill.

And this is why football is going to go the way the housing market went. Pure greed. Only got to look at teams in Spain/France/lower leagues in England to see the difficulties they are in financially.

I don't even want any big money deals, I'd be perfectly happy with two more Westwoods and the CB equivalent of Lowton.

I'm not looking to cause an argument but would a CB equivalent of Lowton see any game time? i.e. would he get in ahead of Baker and Clark? and that's assuming Vlaar and Dunne are not available. I can't see us being able to spend sufficient to buy the equivalent of Baker or Clark from another club - not as I think they are great!

Same with a Trotter or Stephens - I don't know them but are they good enough to command a first team place?

I really hope that we strengthen midfield but it is not looking good

Unless things change drastically I think the very best we could hope for are a couple of Chester/Trotter/Stephens signings

Even given the resources I thought PL would do better but to me that6 shows the depth of the hole we are in. He has made mistakes but I believe that any manager would in this situation. From what little I hear he is working his balls off and is a very very decent man. It would be easy for him to moan to the media but he refuses to do so. I desperately hope he his successful, obviously for the Villa but for him too.

I don't think any of those players are going to improve us in our current position but if Lerner is refusing to fund expenditure in this window and there isn't any money then where would we get the money to buy those players you mention in the first place?

There really can't be any halfway house in this window. Either Lerner backs the manager to allow him to improve on what we have or not at all. There is absolutely no point in buying more players with the same qualities that we already have as we'll only add to the list of players we can't get rid off.