January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

You havent touched a nerve Cas. Why would you? I just think you're having a bit of a laugh to be honest and so whatever floats your boat. If people believe you that's their lookout.

But I'm absolutely certain you're not privy to any info. I'm not even sure you can agree with yourself what the story is and it is a story.

Last I'll say on it. Knock yourself out.

Just me and now Lambert and the Birmingham Mail saying the same thing then!

No mate, I'm sure you know better than all of us and Messi and Ronaldo are going to sign any minute

Right, lets clear a few things up. Even although the story says he is happy to go with what he has got Lambert actually doesn't say that. As the fella above states - what is he supposed to say no I'm raging at the guys I've got just now are shit!

Now try and read between the lines a little. Last week Lambert was quoted as saying anyone who thought there would be big-name signings - even at £6m - were living in dreamland. The money isn't there and the sooner people accept it the better. I know it is crazy but that is the situation.

He wanted a midfielder and a defender but if the money isn't there what can he do? And it isn't!

“I’ll work with it, and if I’ve got to go with the group I’ve got then I’ll go with it."

????

To be fair this is what I understood the position to be a couple of weeks ago - I didn't hear £10m but I did hear that Lambert could sign a couple of players - not Sissoko level but decent, experienced pros to fill CDM and CB positions. From what I know the situation has now changed and these players will not be financed - I don't know what has changed to make that happen

I think PL may still be able to bring in a couple of bargain buys but I'm not sure he will do that as it is the first XI that needs improving not another couple of squad players

Maybe, if someone is sold things might change but I'm not banking on it.

I've also heard that Bent is unlikely to be sold for what it's worth

I heard Bent was staying too

Right, lets clear a few things up. Even although the story says he is happy to go with what he has got Lambert actually doesn't say that. As the fella above states - what is he supposed to say no I'm raging at the guys I've got just now are shit!

Now try and read between the lines a little. Last week Lambert was quoted as saying anyone who thought there would be big-name signings - even at £6m - were living in dreamland. The money isn't there and the sooner people accept it the better. I know it is crazy but that is the situation.

He wanted a midfielder and a defender but if the money isn't there what can he do? And it isn't!

Equally would he come out and say 'theres no money for new players' ?

You havent touched a nerve Cas. Why would you? I just think you're having a bit of a laugh to be honest and so whatever floats your boat. If people believe you that's their lookout.

You're posting some really bizarre stuff.

I wish we had a load of money to spend in the window but we don't. A couple of weeks ago Lambert was told he could bring a couple of decent, experienced players in and now, in the last 24 hours, for whatever reason, he has been told they can't be financed.

If I wanted to make stories up mate I would choose something a bit more juicy than that

Maybe he's just saying the "we will go with what we have got" statement to show clubs who we may be in negotiations with that we won't be pushed over... He's not going to come out and say we have x amount of cash..... Maybe we don't have that much cash but surely there would be "some" cash available to get a couple of players in!

Randy Lerner could be playing a game here.

There could be no money for Lambert unless he beats West Brom and Bradford.

If we win those two games then Lambert gets trusted with a moderate transfer budget.

If we lose to either then he is immediate sacked and his successor gets the money.

Equally would he come out and say 'theres no money for new players' ?

I'm only guessing but I think he would still be allowed to bring in a couple of real bargain buys - he's on an absolute hiding to nothing with that though and probably damned either way

He worked within a tight budget in the summer and bought in players of a lower quality than I beleive he thought were required and has recieved untold abuse. I can't see the upside for him of bringing in a couple more lower league squad players this time

What would people think of him signing a couple more Lowton / Westwood level players?

Randy Lerner could be playing a game here.

There could be no money for Lambert unless he beats West Brom and Bradford.

If we win those two games then Lambert gets trusted with a moderate transfer budget.

If we lose to either then he is immediate sacked and his successor gets the money.

It could be but I don't think this is the case

Taking the productive route (and desperately trying to avoid doing any real work) I've spent this morning trawling through a list of free agents (assuming we do indeed have bupkis in the bank), desperately trying to conjure up someone at least half-decent (or even breathing). It ain't much and it ain't pretty, but this is all I got...

albin-ebondo-et-les-verts-ont-mis-fin-a-une-serie-de-quatre-defaites-d-affilee-photo-yves-salva.jpg

ALBIN EBONDO

Position - Right Back

Last Club - AS Saint-Étienne

Reasons for leaving - Unable to agree contract, unhappy rotating at right-back with club captain Loïc Perrin

Career highpoint - Called up to French international squad in 2007

Pros - Allows Lowton to cover at CB during injury crisis

Cons - Offers little going forward

jacques_faty_bordeaux_Ultraslansi-cc-by-sa-300x224.jpg

JACQUES FATY

Position - Centre Back

Last Club - Sivasspor

Reasons for leaving - Unknown

Career highpoint - Picked up by Marseille in 2007, former French U-21 and full Senegalese international

Pros - Experience, versatility (has been utilised as a defensive midfielder)

Cons - Mobility

300px-Michael_Lumb_(footballer)_7.jpg

MICHAEL LUMB

Position - Left Back

Last Club - Zenit St. Petersburg

Reasons for leaving - Released, unable to break into first team ahead of Hubočan, Luković or Criscito

Career highpoint - Won Danish young player of the year in 2008 ahead of Christian Eriksen and Zanka, former Danish U-21 international

Pros - Attacking threat on the overlap, capable crosser

Cons - Yet to impress outside of Denmark

Thumb_300_x_232_1285_287310_ropo.jpg

ADRIAN ROPOTAN

Position - Central Midfield

Last Club - Dinamo Moscow

Reasons for leaving - Unknown

Career highpoint - Romanian league title winner with Dinamo București, former Romanian international

Pros - Defensively minded, deep-lying midfielder

Cons - Ability to play at Premier League level?

Dauda.jpg

ABIOLA DAUDA

Position - Striker

Last Club - Kalmar FF

Reasons for leaving - Left for bigger challenge

Career highpoint - 14 goals in Allsvenskan last season, former league and cup winner with Kalmar FF

Pros - Speed, can play behind front striker and out wide

Cons - Premier League possibly too big a step up, recruitment priorities elsewhere

• Like 1

Maybe he's just saying the "we will go with what we have got" statement to show clubs who we may be in negotiations with that we won't be pushed over... He's not going to come out and say we have x amount of cash..... Maybe we don't have that much cash but surely there would be "some" cash available to get a couple of players in!

Really? That sounds completely sensible and something fans overall ignore.

What???? I'm not 12!!! What would be the point of that?

The situation today is that despite assurances at the start of the window, PL has now been told that there is no money for decent signings.

Might that change next week? Possibly, say if PL threatened to leave (he's not done this yet) or if we had two or three bad injuries, but as things stand this morning there is no money for signings

'Might that change next week? Possibly'

Sounds like backtracking to me.

If I'm not mistaken, you were both saying there will NOT be signing. Now, things could change...

There will be signings. There is another issue with January which i think could be playing a part. Sabotage. QPR have just done it to Newcastle and clubs are renowned for it this time of year, Getting wind of potential deals and then coming in with bigger offers etc. With our position being very dire we have to be honest and it would not take a lot at this current time for potential targets to have their heads turned by clubs higher up the table if they got wind and came in lastminute.com. I can totally understand Lambert been very cautious and keeping everything as close to his chest as possible in order to get the men he wants. Yes its risky leaving us to play a few games before getting these players in but if it means Lambert manages to talk to and complete the signings of the players he wants without losing them to other clubs or risking having a bidding war then i agree with that.

I like everyone else will be spitting feathers if we end up with nobody come February but i am 95% sure we will have ATLEAST a CB and CM be February.