January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

I'm wary about signing another central defender. For me that's the one position where consistency is absolutely paramount. In the current system, the back 3, we have Clark, Baker, Vlaar as well as two players Herd and Lowton who I would be more than comfortable to see playing there in the forward thinking role, the sweeper if you like.

Perhaps right wing back cover is more appropriate?

On top of which a midfield destroyer please. Thank you.

I'd go for a further raid into the Belgian market. Jelle Vossen (Genk), Nacer Cahdli (Twente) and Toby Alderweireld (Ajax). Wouldn't be cheap mind but probably under £10m for each. Ajax are still in the CL so he is unlikely to be interested. I trust Lambert to get the right additions in but would love those 3.

Crikey football is fickle. A few weeks ago we couldnt wait for Jan, now we have no room for players :)

I think we still need players as much as we did before the Sunderland game. For a whole host of reasons really including showing the likes of Benteke/Weimann that we are ambitious. Theres no doubt about it, its beginning to click, but we can easily go the next 6 games without a win in this league. I think we have enough youthful hungry players to go and buy 2 or 3 players based on quality (like Benteke obv was). In Midfield, defence and perhaps even a gk. As much as Guzan has impressed me, and deserves his place, I don't think hes the best we could get.

I think it is important we buy the same way as we did in the summer. Young, hungry and bags of potential. There are players scattered all over the world that we could bring in, do a little bit of work on and then try to slot them into our side to help us improve.

Woodytom - to bring in another keeper would be a little silly in my opinion. Guzan has really proven himself this season and has put in some excellent performances. He is also a firm fan favourite! Let's not forget we have Given sat on the bench who can easily come back into the fold should Guzan pick up an injury. Hardly a bad 2nd choice. Spending on a 'Keeper would be a waste of money I recon.

I recon we can expect 1 or 2 young German players coming in this next window, which would be awesome if they are anything close to Reus, Gotze etc etc.

I think it is important we buy the same way as we did in the summer. Young, hungry and bags of potential. There are players scattered all over the world that we could bring in, do a little bit of work on and then try to slot them into our side to help us improve.

Woodytom - to bring in another keeper would be a little silly in my opinion. Guzan has really proven himself this season and has put in some excellent performances. He is also a firm fan favourite! Let's not forget we have Given sat on the bench who can easily come back into the fold should Guzan pick up an injury. Hardly a bad 2nd choice. Spending on a 'Keeper would be a waste of money I recon.

I recon we can expect 1 or 2 young German players coming in this next window, which would be awesome if they are anything close to Reus, Gotze etc etc.

I think Given's a total liability in all honesty. I dont think we need to replace Guzan as such, just Im not confident he can maintain the level he has. I have no reason to think that mind - but its just how I feel. Probably because hes spent so long as 2nd choice. Kind of a subconcious thing really.

Unfortunately there are bigger clubs than us after Will Hughes. Id still like another CB - lets not forget Clark \ Baker do miss a fair few games through injury. Id still really like to see Matt Phillips , Liam Trotter, and or Peter Whittingham.

We are all on a high after the last couple of results - but the QPR revival has started - a few injuries and a few bad results - we could really need those extra bodies

I've always been a big Matty Phillips fan as well, but I saw he was only on the bench for Blackpool's Championship game yesterday. Has he lost his way a bit? Seems Thomas Ince is the player now stealing all the limelight at that club.

I've always been a big Matty Phillips fan as well, but I saw he was only on the bench for Blackpool's Championship game yesterday. Has he lost his way a bit? Seems Thomas Ince is the player now stealing all the limelight at that club.

He's just coming back from injury.

I can totally understand why people question buying more players for the sake of it. The current players can be improved upon... by themselves.

This team is very young and can develop a lot over the coming seasons. You could say "why jeopardize that just because you can spend some money?"

I'm not saying I wouldnt buy a couple of players because I would. But I can understand why people question it at the same time. We have to be very careful not to check the natural progression of these players.

Its bad for morale and you wont always guarantee any improvement anyway. The reason players like Rio Ferdinand, Lampard, Gerrard etc became the players they were/are is because they were consistently played from youngsters.

Baker (for instance) is in great form so why replace him in the starting XI? You wouldn't do that to Benteke for instance.

• Like 1

Looking like PL has settled on 3-5-2/5-3-2 would still like to see a DM, ACM and winger in the January window. If we are talking names Biagia, Trotter and Ince. If we do sell Bent (which I can see happening) will obviously have to replace him, in case of injuries.

A offensive midfielder who plays facing goal with an eye for a pass and a good shot and the ability to arrive late into the box would be a welcoming addition.

A new left back if Bennet doesn't come good, even though I think Stevens could do a good job as a wingback as long as we're playing with a back 3. If we're going to keep playing 3 center backs, another cb is a must in case of injuries.

An aggressive and dominant midfielder could also prove to be very useful as I feel we're a bit lightweight in that department.

Jesus wept, bit premature on talk of a new LB , Wing back arent we?

He had a tough start, im not suggesting anything else, he struggled but he wasnt woeful and under Lambert and our coaches he could really push on.

Have some faith, cant question if a player will come good after a handful of games in the premiership.

From the Mirror -

Aston Villa want Forrester back, 18 months after dumping him

Paul Lambert is ready to make a move for Brentford midfielder Harry Forrester – just 18 months after Aston Villa released him.

Villa beat off competition from Manchester United and Tottenham to sign Forrester from Watford in a £1million deal in January 2008.

But the former England Youth ace was not offered a new contract by Villa in 2011 after he failed to make the first-team grade.

But he got his career back on track at Brentford and now Lambert’s Villa are trying to sign him all over again in a £300,000 deal in January.

Milton Keynes-born Forrester has attracted Villa scouts with his recent displays while Reading, Southampton and Celtic have also been tracking him.

Also...

Bolton desperate to hang onto Villa loan star Warnock

Bolton boss Dougie Freedman wants to tie up left back Stephen Warnock on a new deal - with his loan about to end in the next week.

Warnock has been a stand-out during his spell on hire from Aston Villa and Freedman would like to keep him longer as his promotion push begins.

Villa initially let Bolton have Warnock for a low percentage of his salary but may be looking for a bigger contribution to allow him to carry on at the Reebok.

Re: Forrester. Didn't see him in the reserves, but do remember him leaving. Different regime back then, led by an idiot.

Re: Warnock. Yes, yes, he's a brilliant player Dougie. Please buy him. Have you bought him yet? Buy him. Please buy him. He's great. By the way, Dougie, top tip: don't ask his opinion of his teammates or his opinion on Bolton as a place to live.

but he is crap. he is so bad that liverpool have moved his position

while he left like a rat, he was easily liverpoos best player against villa.

and also he isnt so bad liverpool changed his position, enrique was injured so downing ( not for the first time in his career) played attacking left back, for that game.

downing is far more consistant than albrighton or nzogbia, and as such would be an improvement on what we have, he would also no doubt have a decent amount of assists with the forwards we have.

a pay cut and given back to us for no money would be a no brainer in my view depending on how much we are still owed.

i read a comment the other day from a crystal palace fan not being very positive about zaha and actually rating another CP player ahead of him, hopefully theres something in it?

anyways, just reading todays feed on this thread, i do agree about not settling some of the players to buy new players, however, with RL is going to let PL spend money, then who would refuse to spend someone elses money?

with 2 RBs (lowton and lichaj) 2 LBs (stevens and bennett) but only 3 CBs (vlaar, clark and baker) - on the proviso that dunne will be leaving i still believe we need another

if bent leaves, were clearly still going to need another striker, no doubt bowery will play well, but i cant seem him scoring regularly just yet, not for a season or 2 anyway