Ashley Young

maqroll

24 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

The best RB performance since Matt Lowton v Sunderland in @Zatman, help me out here :lol: 

I remember the swashbuckling Hutton and Bacuna at right back. Quality full backs 😉

Edited by Zatman
  • Sad 1

I was so, so impressed with him on Saturday. He played a real captains role and for me should now replace Cash as often as he's able. He was doing everything Cash doesn't do. Strong & quick in the tackle, really tough to get the ball off, intelligent & knew exactly what to do with the ball even when under immense pressure. It was dare I say it Kenny Swain-esque! That is the biggest tribute I could give him. He totally understood the tactics Gerrard wanted too and constantly turned city by hitting those long forward balls just as they were trying to swamp us like they do.

10/10

How can he possibly be dropped after that? The missing leader we need for me. 

In the most simplistic terms.

It seems we've forgotten he's actually a right footed player, so is naturally better on the right side.

He's often placed on the left for emergency, but it shouldn't be a shock that he's much better on the right, twice we've seen it now.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I was so, so impressed with him on Saturday. He played a real captains role and for me should now replace Cash as often as he's able. He was doing everything Cash doesn't do. Strong & quick in the tackle, really tough to get the ball off, intelligent & knew exactly what to do with the ball even when under immense pressure. It was dare I say it Kenny Swain-esque! That is the biggest tribute I could give him. He totally understood the tactics Gerrard wanted too and constantly turned city by hitting those long forward balls just as they were trying to swamp us like they do.

10/10

How can he possibly be dropped after that? The missing leader we need for me. 

There was a time when a good right-wing back was a given at Villa Park. Gidman, Swain, Williams and Charles.

I just don't see Cash in that kind of company .

I still think Cash is an excellent player but even the best go through bad spells of form and need to be dropped / rested and given chance on the training ground and at home to get themselves back in the right place mentally and physically. 

Cash is a team confidence player more than personal I think, he seems to stand out as playing well when the team is playing well. When we're poor he's an obvious weakness. Until we turn the tide on this season I think it's best to get the Ashley Youngs of the squad, model professionals and leaders, into the team. 

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

The best RB performance since Matt Lowton v Sunderland in @Zatman, help me out here :lol: 

That's the only time I've walked away from a 6-1 home victory raving about how good the right back was, unreal performance that night! 

Ash certainly rolled back the years on Saturday and hope that enables us to give Cash a bit of a break - he's still a quality player and will hopefully benefit from a bit of rotation. Wing back is a hard position to play 90 mins every week to a high standard 

• Like 1

He was a top player in his prime and on Saturday he showed those key skills, excellent performance.

Better footballer than Cash, but not sure he has the legs for more than occasional cameo, though he didn't look out of place against City.

17 minutes ago, weedman said:

That's the only time I've walked away from a 6-1 home victory raving about how good the right back was, unreal performance that night! 

Ash certainly rolled back the years on Saturday and hope that enables us to give Cash a bit of a break - he's still a quality player and will hopefully benefit from a bit of rotation. Wing back is a hard position to play 90 mins every week to a high standard 

Absolutely, how can you score 6 and your striker get a good hattrick and still not be the best player on the pitch?!

Matty was unreal that night, interception after interception, a few amazing long balls and he was just aggressive, involved and marauding. 

Best display from a full back I've ever seen live quite honestly.  

Ashley Cole for Arsenal in 2004/5 was probably the best ever LWB I'd ever seen live too.  I think it was when he may have scored, and in my head it was the Henry scoring a quickly taken freekick.. But probably wrong.  It was around that time though. 

• Like 1

Milner, Young or Barry who has had the better career? I would say Milner has has won 3 league titles plus CL and has played more regularly than Young for his sides.  Young has 2  title one for United, one for Inter. Barry won less as he left us later in his career but played on for a long time.  All have been versatile and played in different positions over the years.

Edited by The Fun Factory

7 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Milner, Young or Barry who has had the better career? I would say Milner has has won 3 league titles plus CL and has played more regularly than Young for his sides.  Young has 2  title one for United, one for Inter. Barry won less as he left us later in his career but played on for a long time.  All have been versatile and played in different positions over the years.

Tough question. They have varied paths, Barry has won a title and has the most PL appearances ever, Milner won more but as mainly a bit part player but with two powerhouse clubs and Young won in 2 different countries

Btw I saw some people say that Young developed football intelligence since leaving. He was a very clever winger for us before but England produced a lot of speed merchant headless chickens like Walcott, Lennon, Wright Phillips etc that Young was labelled similar but he was much better

Hia assists/crossing was always more accurate and that Everton goal the players I mentioned above dont score that ever

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Btw I saw some people say that Young developed football intelligence since leaving. He was a very clever winger for us before but England produced a lot of speed merchant headless chickens like Walcott, Lennon, Wright Phillips etc that Young was labelled similar but he was much better

Hia assists/crossing was always more accurate and that Everton goal the players I mentioned above dont score that ever

He was class for us. One of the most effective players we’ve had for years. I even bought a top with his name on the back and I never do that!  

I actually think he was better than Grealish in terms of end product. His goal contributions was superb.

Has any player ever played two games for Villa as far apart as Ashley Young's debut and the game on Saturday?

Charlie Aitken was just under 15 years from debut to final game - so Ashley beats that.

I'm not sure when Spink's debut was, but he might have a shot at it.

Who else is there?

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Has any player ever played two games for Villa as far apart as Ashley Young's debut and the game on Saturday?

Charlie Aitken was just under 15 years from debut to final game - so Ashley beats that.

Who else is there?

Spink beats him just (1979-1995).

48 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Who else is there?

Cowans?

Does anyone find it bizarre talking about him as a Villa player again after so long? It was so long ago when he was at the top of his game for us. It was a different generation of football. He’s been back for a while now but it still feels weird to me. It’s hard to explain. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Does anyone find it bizarre talking about him as a Villa player again after so long? It was so long ago when he was at the top of his game for us. It was a different generation of football. He’s been back for a while now but it still feels weird to me. It’s hard to explain. 

I know what you mean - the times at the club feel so far apart and compartmentalised that it's almost like two different players or something. That said, it's not entirely surprising - even a couple of seasons is like a lifetime in football sometimes.

• Haha 1

I think, if he had not come on for Cash.....The result could have been different.

His leadership and ascertive approach, was key.

He was pitch savvy, and up for the fight.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Â