Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

7 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

will be very interested to see how they fare against teams who tend to sit back more than a team like Liverpool. 

Don't think they will get relegated, but I can definitely see shades of Blackpool back in 09/10 (i think)

Was 10/11, but yeah Blackpool were really good that first half of the season - I remember them coming to VP with a complete second string side and we only barely just won 3-2.

Leeds did well but ended up with zero points - welcome to the Premier League. We found ourselves in the same situation last season in a few games. 

They showed a lot of promise though so shouldn't be too disheartened.

• Like 1

Seem to have the we play like that every week and we'll win more than we lose bug already

The problem being they won't play like that every week and that the PL has the knack of you still being able to lose even if you play well thanks to every team having some good players and the refs being inept 

It'll be the mental side of things that sees them in trouble, they need some more play well 0 points games to be in trouble 

They aren’t going to be gifted goals like that so often. That front line will have to deliver. Defensively they look very vulnerable. Their midfield intensity will cause problems. But will be tested greatly against teams around them like Newcastle and their defensive energies. 

Liverpool had absolutely no respect for them. Doubt we’ll see them as defensively poor and  as un-organised all season. Can only see that game feeding the media hype-machine and Leeds fan delusion though.

Shame you don’t get any points for scoring 3 at Anfield eh. Welcome to the Premier League.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

They aren’t going to be gifted goals like that so often. That front line will have to deliver. Defensively they look very vulnerable. Their midfield intensity will cause problems. But will be tested greatly against teams around them like Newcastle and their defensive energies. 

Yep. Which is why they will be likely rel. candidates. You just can't be that shite in this league. I didn't get to watch the match unfortunately, but my mates are saying the score line rather flatters them. 

Either way looks decent scoring three, but conceding 4 looks awful. 

Considering they've been waiting for this match for 20 years or so they didn't do too well. Should probably have taken advantage of RS today, but too late now. As their first match is gone their energy will fade over the next 5 matches. They’ve had a boost now due too playing their first top flight match since Bill Clinton was in office. Once that fades they are in for a long tough season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yep. Which is why they will be likely rel. candidates. You just can't be that shite in this league. I didn't get to watch the match unfortunately, but my mates are saying the score line rather flatters them. 

Either way looks decent scoring three, but conceding 4 looks awful. 

Considering they've been waiting for this match for 20 years or so they didn't do too well. Should probably have taken advantage of RS today, but too late now. As their first match is gone their energy will fade over the next 5 matches. They’ve had a boost now due too playing their first top flight match since Bill Clinton was in office. Once that fades they are in for a long tough season. 

They had 3 shots on target with zero corners. The second goal was a gift. You cannot press and press without any end product. 

Liverpool has two goals chalked off two, including an offside where the Leeds keeper got lobbed from 40 yards out after a mad rush. They had Koch on debut and a young lad who had pretty much not played centre back before. 

A more motivated Liverpool could have scored 6-7 today. 

Their two other goals were great, however, and Phillips was commanding. 

They'll be fine.

Great spirit for them to come back from behind 3 times. Something I'd like to see from us on a more regular basis when we go behind in these type of games.

Poor defensively but they'll carve out plenty of bottom half teams and get enough points from those games.

Certainly more positives from them than Fulham totally giving up as soon as Arsenal went 2 up.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

Organised, energetic, willing and brave - there were lots of positives - they'll need to make sure they can maintain that over the whole season because they're short on quality. 

I think they'll stay up - I think as the season goes on, they'll realise that staying up is their aim.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, penguin said:

Liverpool had absolutely no respect for them. Doubt we’ll see them as defensively poor and  as un-organised all season. Can only see that game feeding the media hype-machine and Leeds fan delusion though.

Shame you don’t get any points for scoring 3 at Anfield eh. Welcome to the Premier League.

Well we play Liverpool in three weeks so hopefully we can knock 2-3 past them if it's so easy.

Edited by VillaChris

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It won't be, that's the point, that's maybe as poor as Liverpool play all season, hopefully as well as Leeds do all season... 

Well Leeds showed great heart I thought and stil pressed intently in second so forced Liverpool into sloppy errors. Too often when we go behind in games to decent teams we just give up as the last half hour of the Chelsea and Wolves games after lockdown showed, barely had a shot in either game after the winning goal went in on the hour mark in both games.

Hopefully with what we're signing we'll have more belief about us as if you attack the top teams you can actually score goals v them.

22 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Well we play Liverpool in three weeks so hopefully we can knock 2-3 past them if it's so easy.

Please re-read my post. Specifically the part where I say we won't see Liverpool that poor again all season.

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It won't be, that's the point, that's maybe as poor as Liverpool play all season, hopefully as well as Leeds do all season... 

That was a pretty poor Leeds performance at the back too though, Liverpool make some mistakes and they're mistakes, we make mistakes and its bad defending.

Koch has been training with the team for 3 days. That was Struijk's first game at CB

• Like 1

I don't think you can really judge Leeds too much from today's game, they were defensively poor but Liverpool will make a lot of teams look defensively poor, and on the other hand they scored three goals but Liverpool themselves were also very defensively poor in a way that they probably won't be again all season. Really Liverpool should have scored many more, but despite that Leeds will probably take a lot of confidence from this game.

• Like 1

Â