Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

49 minutes ago, blandy said:

God post Scott, but I think slightly differently. From an admittedly small sample of watching Leeds games on the telly, I was massively impressed when they played Arsenal in the Cup (dunno which one, mind) at Arsenal. They played them off the park for most of the game, but their finishing was not there. I think with a decent finisher they'll be absolutely fine. I think the attacking mentality will serve them well.

Even looking at us last season before we got hit by all the injuries, if we'd had someone to stick the ball in the net we'd have been fine too, even despite being ropy at the back. I expect they'll have a bad run, get injuries and VAR rough justice, but by actually trying to win rather than playing for 0-0 and hope to nick it they'll win enough for the defeats not to hurt them too much - 20 games against the bottom 10 or so win 10 of them and they're basically safe with a few points from the other 18 games - it's kind of how I see us doing too, next season.

Remember the game at Villa Park when we were 2-0 up and they kept coming at us. Being in our faces and a relentless press throughout the whole game?

Such a winner mentality that. Whenever we are 2-0 down we tend to give up and feel sorry for ourselves. Mentality has to change this season.

30 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Remember the game at Villa Park when we were 2-0 up and they kept coming at us. Being in our faces and a relentless press throughout the whole game?

And that's the thing - if they're 2-0 down in this league, they'll lose.

I think if Leeds set out with the mindset to get 44 points, they're more than capable of getting them.

I think if they set out trying to get 60 points, they'll go down.

I'm not sure if Bielsa is willing to go out looking for 44 points.

I think ball the promoted teams will go down to be fair this is a tough year to come up given the circumstances. Looking at Leeds the keeper is poor full backs not premier league quality, centre half Cooper not up to much and I don’t know anything about the new Center back. Phillips in midfield looks ok but didn’t think much to him for England. Pablo Hernandez was poor when he was young at Swansea can’t see him doing much now. Bamford not good enough and the new striker has Rodrigo is 29 and yet to score 80 career goals.

credit were its due the manager seems excellent but the squad is so poor I can’t see them doing anything other than being relegated 

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

One noticeable thing with Leeds under Bielsa, even when they were clearly the best team in the league, they were always incredibly beatable. 

They'd always have 5 games a season where they'd miss about 10 good chances and opposition would go up the other end and score and win 1-0.

That's going to be a problem at prem level, simply have to be clinical if you're going to win 10 games. Think Liam Cooper is going to be found out at the back aswell. He's their current captain so not the easiest to drop.

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Klopp labeling Bielsa as world class at his press conference.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/klopp-liverpool-smith-aston-villa-18546208

Klopp added: "Dean has done a fantastic job and his story really is one that makes your heart glow with warmth. He’s been successful whichever club he’s managed, and then to earn the opportunity to lead a club that means so much to him is always good to see.

Does your heart glow with warmth Villalad?😉

Edited by VillaChris
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They'd always have 5 games a season where they'd miss about 10 good chances and opposition would go up the other end and score and win 1-0.

That's going to be a problem at prem level, simply have to be clinical if you're going to win 10 games. Think Liam Cooper is going to be found out at the back aswell. He's their current captain so not the easiest to drop.

I look forward to finding out that they only lost 1-0 twice and actually they were under-strength and didn't create much, that Cooper isn't really their captain and that can easily be dropped.

I'm sure it won't be long.

Someone is talking about Leeds. To VillaTalk!

I mean.. Calvin Phillips is one of their best players and he was mediocre against a mighty Denmark team, despite us having 163 defensive midfielders on the pitch to help him out.

He'll grow into the season, but I can see him being a bit like Jack against spurs early last season and costing them a few goals through mistakes.  

You get punished in the prem for dallying, I hope he's desperate to keep that Yorkshire pirlo tag, because he'll fanny around even more trying to prove it.

16 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I mean.. Calvin Phillips is one of their best players and he was mediocre against a mighty Denmark team, despite us having 163 defensive midfielders on the pitch to help him out.

He'll grow into the season, but I can see him being a bit like Jack against spurs early last season and costing them a few goals through mistakes.  

You get punished in the prem for dallying, I hope he's desperate to keep that Yorkshire pirlo tag, because he'll fanny around even more trying to prove it.

Wish we had payed the £30m they asked for last season, he's exactly the type of player we needed and need to stabilise the midfield and a good reason why Leeds will stay up. He's not got the natural talent Jack has but he's a great defensive midfielder. 

Had a zoom chat with some of the lads from my local club last night, two of the lads on there are ex-pats from Leeds. 
One said he just hopes they finish 17th, the other put their ceiling on 6th which got a few laughs and raised eyebrows...especially when his reasoning was Bielsa. 
They are very worried about Liam Cooper in the Premier League though.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

What a bizarre conclusion to come to.

27 minutes ago, tinker said:

Wish we had payed the £30m they asked for last season, he's exactly the type of player we needed and need to stabilise the midfield and a good reason why Leeds will stay up. He's not got the natural talent Jack has but he's a great defensive midfielder. 

Just doing FPL for tomorrow and looking at their squad; they're woefully lacking in quality and depth. Man for man one of the weakest squads in the Prem. They're hoping for Koch and Phillips to step up to the required standard. I think Phillips can btw. You would think Rodrigo will offer a threat to assist at this level. However, beyond that the squad is bang average Championship. They need to bring in some more quality. Of course they seem confident, with a sum of parts ideology but I'm very unsure that this can be sustained over a season against Premier league opposition. I think much of the optimism arises from the first half performance against not quite full strength Arsenal in the cup, which they ultimately lost (a trait that was evident in the Championship and will be magnified in the Prem). The fact Bielsa got that squad promoted from the Championship after 2 seasons is itself a quite remarkable achievement. If he does manages to achieve anything that is being 'predicted'; mid-table in the Prem, wow. 

3 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Obviously didn't read past that. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I'm not sure how more players in same position = easier for players. Why aren't there loads of 2 striker formations about if this was the case? 

1 minute ago, Rino8 said:

I'm not sure how more players in same position = easier for players. Why aren't there loads of 2 striker formations about if this was the case? 

I mean.. I didn't literally mean there were 163 defensive midfielders, but whatever.

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Klopp added: "Dean has done a fantastic job and his story really is one that makes your heart glow with warmth. He’s been successful whichever club he’s managed, and then to earn the opportunity to lead a club that means so much to him is always good to see.

I'm feeling highly triggered right now.

Â