Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

13 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

True.

This wasn't a slow burn and us gradually turning things around. We never even made the play offs before Bielsa.

A couple of 7th places where we should have done better but for the most part we weren't close to being good enough.

The year with Monk in charge I think you threw away the chance of the playoffs. Think were fighting for top 2 until around Christmas 

34 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The year with Monk in charge I think you threw away the chance of the playoffs. Think were fighting for top 2 until around Christmas 

Yeah and they did something similar the season after that as well IIRC.

I've got a mate who is a Leeds fan and it had become a running joke that no matter how well they were doing when I saw him at Christmas they'd always **** it up by May.

35 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yeah, we had Chris Wood then and he was far too good for the championship.

More than anything I think Bielsa showed the championship up a bit. With almost no signings we made it into the premier league looking comfortably the best in the league, while some clubs spend 50 million just to go backwards. There is a shocking lack of quality at a managerial level in that league but since it can't be measured in stats like a player can be they get away with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rino8 said:

More than anything I think Bielsa showed the championship up a bit. With almost no signings we made it into the premier league looking comfortably the best in the league, while some clubs spend 50 million just to go backwards. There is a shocking lack of quality at a managerial level in that league but since it can't be measured in stats like a player can be they get away with it.

Understand your point but I think that's talking Bielsa down a tad myself. What he's turned the likes of Ayling, Dallas and Phillips into is remarkable. He's a very very good coach.

I'm a bit jealous of all the players you're going for. There's not a bad move in there, every heavy link is great player for the money.

Cuisance is so good. Wouldn't have him down as being a 'Bielsa' player to be honest, but he's bloody good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rino8 said:

True.

This wasn't a slow burn and us gradually turning things around. We never even made the play offs before Bielsa.

A couple of 7th places where we should have done better but for the most part we weren't close to being good enough.

Think sacking Grayson was an error. Yes he was slow and steady but he got you to 7th and then I think lost McCormack and Beckford and so you slumped the next season but were still top half. Mind you his final game was a 1-4 home defeat to SHA with ZIGIC scoring 4 so I'll probably take back what I said!

You then tried Warnock who actually didn't work at all despite his success at pretty much every club in championship (very similar to Steve Bruce here) than Brian McDermott and then Cellino came in and appointed about 7 nobodies as manager over 5 year period.

As much as getting Bielsa was huge and a massive coup I think getting shot of Cellino was just as important as his stupid decisions every other month were stopping you doing anything, he also fell out with Neil Redfearn who was promoting a decent set of youth players at the time.

Believe it or not but there's actually a poster on here who thinks Massimo Cellino is a decent club owner....:lol:

Edited by VillaChris

Some div Leeds fan has pointed out the size of our thread on Leeds. His limited brain capacity probably didn’t notice that this thread has been going for 8 years :D

What annoyed me more was a Villa fan further down that thread said that Heroes and Villains is a better villa forum! :puke:

9 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Some div Leeds fan has pointed out the size of our thread on Leeds. His limited brain capacity probably didn’t notice that this thread has been going for 8 years :D

What annoyed me more was a Villa fan further down that thread said that Heroes and Villains is a better villa forum! :puke:

lets be real, the thread started in 2012......thats roughly 15 pages a YEAR!

hardly obsessive.....

• Like 1

Just now, MaVilla said:

lets be real, the thread started in 2012......thats roughly 15 pages a YEAR!

hardly obsessive.....

And 95% of this thread is discussing Leeds with absolutely no connection to a Villa rivalry.

It just seems that a LOT of fans of other clubs want to drum up a rivalry with us. We should probably be flattered.

I may be wrong but I was not aware of any rivalry between Leeds and us before "that game". In fact I think there was more rivalry between them and Blues.

I would love a Leeds fan to explain what changed after that game. Their manager obviously thought what they did was wrong hence "give the goal". Bamford dived to get one if our players sent off and neither team gained or lost any ground because of the draw. I don't think Leeds would have been any better off had they beat us.

Do they blame us somehow for their annual collapse in the semis against Derby?

5 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I may be wrong but I was not aware of any rivalry between Leeds and us before "that game". In fact I think there was more rivalry between them and Blues.

I would love a Leeds fan to explain what changed after that game. Their manager obviously thought what they did was wrong hence "give the goal". Bamford dived to get one if our players sent off and neither team gained or lost any ground because of the draw. I don't think Leeds would have been any better off had they beat us.

Do they blame us somehow for their annual collapse in the semis against Derby?

Yeah they were planning to get their revenge in the final so I imagine it stung to see them collapse second half v Derby who we then rolled over relatively comfortably in the final. Add in the previous summer when we briefly looked to be going the same way Leeds did from 2004 but within weeks got great new owners and have kicked on since.

So plenty of jealousy but Leeds are in a good place themselves now so seems odd, could understand it more if they were still stuck in championship looking on.

It will die out after a while like the Newcastle thing did.

Â