Media and punditry

BOF

4 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

I fixed Sky's 'How Many Points They Had After 35 Games' graphic:

Untitled-1.jpg

Its like we don't exist 

Pathetic 

• Like 1

I think the media were broadly more enthusiastic about Newcastle finishing fourth last season than they are at the prospect of Villa finishing fourth this season. 

I think there are various reasons for that, some more tangible than others. Their takeover was big news that people outside of the game could have an opinion on. Couldn’t say that about ours. With that ownership comes more of a belief that they’d upset the sky six long term. They’re also probably more enthusiastic about an English manager doing well than they are about the previously written off foreign guy people were laughing at because his third/fourth language wasn’t spoken as well they thought it could be.

And then I think there are less tangible things, my perception. I think the media are more enthusiastic about Newcastle doing well because they’re kinda easier to pigeonhole and “sell” than us. They’re proper northern, not middling midlands. They have a more Sky friendly derby I think. Everyone knows Kevin Keegan getting irate in the 90’s, we can show that clip for the thousandth time, mild mannered Brian Little isn’t going to generate the same recognition. Alan Shearer being a pundit is, inadvertently maybe, a bigger advocate for Newcastle’s relevancy than Dion Dublin is for us. 

I’d also argue that their failures/questionable moments over the years are more memorable. I think Shearer’s relegation has generated interest than our capitulation did. Pardew and Ashley are inherently more newsworthy than Lambert and Lerner.

Lots of little things.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Its like we don't exist 

Pathetic 

I mean, Pep had 69 points after 35 games so including that stat would lessen Ange's impact further (although it also makes Unai's achievements with us look even better!)

40 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think the media were broadly more enthusiastic about Newcastle finishing fourth last season than they are at the prospect of Villa finishing fourth this season. 

I think there are various reasons for that, some more tangible than others. Their takeover was big news that people outside of the game could have an opinion on. Couldn’t say that about ours. With that ownership comes more of a belief that they’d upset the sky six long term. They’re also probably more enthusiastic about an English manager doing well than they are about the previously written off foreign guy people were laughing at because his third/fourth language wasn’t spoken as well they thought it could be.

And then I think there are less tangible things, my perception. I think the media are more enthusiastic about Newcastle doing well because they’re kinda easier to pigeonhole and “sell” than us. They’re proper northern, not middling midlands. They have a more Sky friendly derby I think. Everyone knows Kevin Keegan getting irate in the 90’s, we can show that clip for the thousandth time, mild mannered Brian Little isn’t going to generate the same recognition. Alan Shearer being a pundit is, inadvertently maybe, a bigger advocate for Newcastle’s relevancy than Dion Dublin is for us. 

I’d also argue that their failures/questionable moments over the years are more memorable. I think Shearer’s relegation has generated interest than our capitulation did. Pardew and Ashley are inherently more newsworthy than Lambert and Lerner.

Lots of little things.

Yep, for whatever reason, Newcastle are seen as an easier sell to the wider football audience, I think. Also, when Newcastle got fourth it was probably assumed they'd be able to spend silly money year after year like Man City and Chelsea did and that we'd be looking at another super club in next to no time. As it's turned out, the loopholes that allowed previous regimes to jump the queue have been closed so Newcastle aren't going to be quite the draw (at least not in the short-medium term) that the media had hoped they'd be.

• Like 2

Things will change, we have good connections at board level within the media with our new shareholders, it will take some time for it to trickle down to the grass roots on the content teams but it will.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Spurs dont though especially in UK domestic markets. Doubt a load of Korean fans tuning into Sky or Talksport

take yesterday as an example, pre villa game they talked more about liverpool vs spurs, the reality is that there's every danger that even 3 hours before their game kicked off there were more liverpool + spurs fans tuning in then there was brighton + villa

they know their audience and what works

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

take yesterday as an example, pre villa game they talked more about liverpool vs spurs, the reality is that there's every danger that even 3 hours before their game kicked off there were more liverpool + spurs fans tuning in then there was brighton + villa

they know their audience and what works

Thats fair enough but talking about in game commentary or Sky general attitude towards us like putting us in the 7-12 placed teams last week. All the snide digs that Angeball or Spurs wouldnt get and not the first game this season

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I am also surprised people don't spend ages talking about us after we've played in what can only be described as a match of football that technically happened.

Why would anyone even *want* to be talked about after yesterday's game, is my question. What do people imagine the media would say? 'Well Villa were shit, weren't they'. 

• Like 2

Just listening to Monday night club on 5 live, they said after news at 8pm were talking the race for champions league with Spurs & Villa, news finished & I kid you not the spoke about 15 minutes with Spurs & not once talked about Villa & moved onto Chelsea. Seriously go & listen to it, it's embarrassing, listen from 8pm 🤦‍♂️

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

If there was such a gap between 3rd and 4th maybe.

We are currently 16 points off the top and could end up finishing 4th but 24 points off the winners.

It really is a top 3 this season.

We are nowhere near.

4th has always finished around 70 points. How far teams are off the top has no relevance. 

Tottenham finish 22 points off the top in the 21/22 season and I remember the media not shutting up about Tottenham getting Europa league football.

Clinton Morrison was co-comms on the Blues game the other day. Good god, the man is a sausage at the best of times, but that was awful. No research, no data, all anecdotal stories about how he used to play. The worst.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, T-Dog said:

Clinton Morrison was co-comms on the Blues game the other day. Good god, the man is a sausage at the best of times, but that was awful. No research, no data, all anecdotal stories about how he used to play. The worst.

At one point he said 'blues fans will be praying for a Philogene goal at Hull' which I thought was hilarious 

Edited by VillaJ100

Posted (edited)

I am not into conspiracy theories but absolutely 100% agree that there is a media thing with Villa. I think even when we do well we have a perception of being unfashionable or something and hopefully that will be rectified. Newcastle finished 2nd twice in the 90s and got bigged up. We also finished 2nd twice that decade and spent something like 7 seasons in the top 8 from 1996-2002 but didn't didn't get bigged up the same way.

Even on nostalgia shows like Premier League Years or Match of the 90s our big seasons don't get the coverage that say Newcastle's did. Match of the 90s was pretty much the Kevin Keagan show.

Edited by Captain_Townsend

Think it's time Carragher and Neville call it a day at sky. 

They are getting far to opinionated about football. Calling for Clattenburg to resign and telling Casimero to move to Saudi or MLS effectively telling him he's shit. 

Been at sky too long now and there ego's are growing out of control. 

17 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Think it's time Carragher and Neville call it a day at sky. 

They are getting far to opinionated about football. Calling for Clattenburg to resign and telling Casimero to move to Saudi or MLS effectively telling him he's shit. 

Been at sky too long now and there ego's are growing out of control. 

Funny enough happy to criticize others when one was a disgrace of a coach and both were at best average players.

Neville also should be criticizing himself for how shit Salford is under his esteemed leadership since he regularly Glazer bashed

Best pundit I can recall in recent times has just been sacked at Hull City. Liam Rosenior always impressed me with his tactical insight and deeper analysis of our Championship games. I’d listen to him and think yes, that’s exactly how I saw the game too. He’s proved he can coach too despite the Hull chairman thinking otherwise. 

Most pundits now are just there to pander to the casual observer, we will never learn anything about the game from BBC, Sky, TNT etc…

• Like 2

Â