Ashley Westwood

Nabby

11 minutes ago, avfc1982 said:

You know you're in trouble when the only compliment fans can come up with regarding a player is that "he was a nice guy"

Christ, talk about damned with faint praise. 

Ok, how about this for faint praise; a bunch of fans who are frustrated by our lowly position hate him, yet five or six managers have used him continuously. Furthermore, a Premier League team (who are in an ok position) are buying him for a tidy sum. We remain in the Championship.

Who's opinion do you listen to? The experienced football men who continually see what he can bring to a team or a group of bitter men who are ultimately displeased at their own teams demise and look for a common reason?!

Much like the more reasoned posters on here, I'll applaud him if he comes back and will have only good things to say about his attitude AND performances - he has had ups and downs but largely his role will never be appreciated, especially in an underperforming team. He's got his limitations but he's going back to the Premier League for a reason. 

One more genuine question; we've bought a bunch of new midfielders for much lower values which I hope turn out to be big improvements to our midfield, yet no one from the Premier League has taken a chance on them so why would Ashley be seen as the safe bet/the better purchase for a Premier League team if he that bad?

Good luck Ashley.

• Like 4

The thing that amazes me most is people's unwavering belief that the more times they say something the more likely it is that people with opposing opinions will come around to their POV.

I hope he does go somewhere today or there's gonna be a few people having to come to terms with emotions similar to celebrating the award of a penalty before the goal has gone in :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VILLAMARV said:

The thing that amazes me most is people's unwavering belief that the more times they say something the more likely it is that people with opposing opinions will come around to their POV.

I hope he does go somewhere today or there's gonna be a few people having to come to terms with emotions similar to celebrating the award of a penalty before the goal has gone in :)

I fully expect the deal not to go through because Westwood is after all the perennial disappointment. 

But the silver lining is we do at least have three new players ahead of him in the pecking order so if he does stay we won't be seeing too much of him anyway. 

27 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Ok, how about this for faint praise; a bunch of fans who are frustrated by our lowly position hate him, yet five or six managers have used him continuously. Furthermore, a Premier League team (who are in an ok position) are buying him for a tidy sum. We remain in the Championship.

Who's opinion do you listen to? The experienced football men who continually see what he can bring to a team or a group of bitter men who are ultimately displeased at their own teams demise and look for a common reason?!

Much like the more reasoned posters on here, I'll applaud him if he comes back and will have only good things to say about his attitude AND performances - he has had ups and downs but largely his role will never be appreciated, especially in an underperforming team. He's got his limitations but he's going back to the Premier League for a reason. 

One more genuine question; we've bought a bunch of new midfielders for much lower values which I hope turn out to be big improvements to our midfield, yet no one from the Premier League has taken a chance on them so why would Ashley be seen as the safe bet/the better purchase for a Premier League team if he that bad?

Good luck Ashley.

You think it's a compliment that the shower of shite that have managed us since 2010 have continued to pick him in their teams in arguable the worst eras in Villa's history? You honestly think that's something to crow about?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I didn't see it as crowing just someone pointing out facts as he saw them , i.e every manager we had picked him

even if he was the best of an abysmal bunch , I don't recall him spitting gum , giving up  or generally showing disdain for the club ... fine he's a limited player but that's not grounds for some of the abuse he seems to get , that I guess should be reserved for the owner who never backed those managers with funds to replace him

thankfully we now seem to have one that is showing some backing ....

But it was suggested he must be a decent player because so many managers have picked him. I'm suggesting he's a damning indictment of the decline of the club that a player as shit as he has played so many games for a club as big as Villa. This is arguably the worst era in the club's history so I wouldn't be gloating that so many managers have picked him. 

The pity for him over the abuse is so OTT. 

He's a multi millionaire professional player moving to the premier league for the second time in his career. 

I doubt he's even aware of comments on forums and twitter. Yes he got booed a couple of times, but nothing compared to what other players, managers and owners have endured. 

Yet there's still a group that has to leap to his defence. It's interesting how that group has transitioned along with the player. 

It's gone from - Westwood is great, if you don't get his role you don't get football.

Westwood is good, he keeps us ticking over. 

Westwood will be good in the championship. 

Yeah, he should probably leave. Still what a nice guy though. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yes he got booed a couple of times, but nothing compared to what other players, managers and owners have endured. 

Yet there's still a group that has to leap to his defence.

a]  Disagree - name another player that has been booed on to the pitch for us?  Name another player who has had this much dislike thrust upon them for doing nothing unprofessional at all?

b]  This "leap to his defence" thing is so pathetic.
"I hope he breaks his leg" - "That's wrong" - "OMG LEAPING TO DEFENCE!".  **** off.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

a]  Disagree - name another player that has been booed on to the pitch for us?  Name another player who has had this much dislike thrust upon them for doing nothing unprofessional at all?

b]  This "leap to his defence" thing is so pathetic.
"I hope he breaks his leg" - "That's wrong" - "OMG LEAPING TO DEFENCE!".  **** off.

How many people have said they hope he breaks his leg? 1? 2? Yeah that's what everyone is defending him over. 

Booed onto the pitch? Not sure. Booed everytime they touched the ball? Lescott and Bacuna just last year. 

Then you have managers who have suffered much worse abuse from the fans on a consistent basis. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

How many people have said they hope he breaks his leg? 1? 2? Yeah that's what everyone is defending him over. 

Booed onto the pitch? Not sure. Booed everytime they touched the ball? Lescott and Bacuna just last year. 

Then you have managers who have suffered much worse abuse from the fans on a consistent basis. 

One person said it. One time.

Yet it still gets brought up constantly every single time a dispute arises. It cracks me up. Much like I hope Westwood's leg cracks.

THAT'S A JOKE - I DON'T REALLY WANT HIM TO BREAK HIS LEG

• Like 1