Ashley Westwood

Nabby

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Well I'm not keen on him but every single Manager has played him, he was Captain at Crewe, and is now going to a club in the Premier League for a lot of money.

Maybe it's just possible he isn't as bad as you say ? Or of course maybe you are a better judge than all them.

But  I'm not going to waste time trying to convince you !

He's a damning indictment of the state of the club under Lerner and the decline inflicted on us by him that we had to sign a player as completely out of his depth as he was/is. What's  more damning is that we couldn't shift him out the door because either we couldn't afford a better player or no one was dumb enough to take him off our hands (till now). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phumfeinz said:

This would be a valid point had we achieved anything. But no, we've gone backwards, suffered relegation for the first time in 30+ years and broken numerous unwanted terrible records.

All with Westwood as the ever present heart of the midfield.

I'm not suggesting that Westwood is single-handedly the cause of our downfall, but to use the excuse that every manager has played him as some sort of positive is daft. Is it not telling that as soon as we brought in a capable manager in Steve Bruce he started dropping him and is now about to let him go after purchasing an entire new central midfield at the first opportunity?

Spot on. The first time the club has show a bit of ambition in 6 or 7 years and the first thing we door is show this charlatan the door. As I said earlier, good riddance. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Well I'm not keen on him but every single Manager has played him, he was Captain at Crewe, and is now going to a club in the Premier League for a lot of money.

Maybe it's just possible he isn't as bad as you say ? Or of course maybe you are a better judge than all them.

But  I'm not going to waste time trying to convince you !

An ever present in arguably the worst, most humiliating Villa era ever. That's some epitaph. 

Hmmm.

Seems if a player is liked he suffered from our poor era, if he is disliked he caused it ....

Maybe as ever the truth is between the two. Maybe we overall had a poor team and a poor squad and a poor culture but individually none of the players, whilst being nothing special, were nothing dreadful either.

Bobby Charlton and Denis Law were members of one of the poorest Man United sides since the war, got relegated. Didn't mean they were rubbish players.

Clubs, and within that Teams, do well or poorly, and the reasons are always many. It's not as simple as 'was in our worst team so must be bad'.

For example, if Burnley stay up with him does that alter his ability ? Does he become a better player if he plays for a team that stays up ? 

What has Bruce getting rid have to do with it ? If he sells Amavi and Ayew does it mean they are useless ? The argument that a Manager selling a player ( for maybe £5m) proved he is no good is daft.

Fact is some hate him or think he is dreadful. He isn't. He's a decent, limited, player who belongs in a side somewhere between the lower half of the Premier Lesgue and the Championship, which is why that's where he plays.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Did all the people saying he was the worst, most disgraceful coward they ever seen play for Villa miss out on seeing the likes of Lescott and Richards arseing around behind him last season.

they were more scumbags than cowards ;)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

If this move to Burnley goes through today then I will be delighted, only probably for different reasons to most. 

This thread and at times Westwood's treatment at games has in my view been embarrassing.

Whatever people's views on Westwood as a player, I just don't think he has warranted the abuse and vitriol directed at him.

I don't dispute that he hasn't progressed as a player, I don't dispute that he has failed to have enough impact in games over a prolonged period. I don't dispute he has been a central part of the worst midfield I've ever seen under successive managers.

But he has had the misfortune to play under some truly woeful managers with some terrible players.

Throughout that time, no matter how limited he may have been as a player, I think he has always been committed and always done his best.

So he bloody should people will be rushing to type. And yes I agree but we all know the reality of football and of Villa these last 7 years is different.

This club has been leached off and continues to be leached off by parasitic lazy arse players who contribute nothing and frankly couldn't careless, simply going through the motions.

Some of them aren't even fit enough to have consistent movement through 90 mins.

This club has been dogged by a collection of assclowns and whoppers on a scale usually only seen at a Trump rally.

I actually think the oxygen thief N'Zogbia was more liked by some than Westwood.

I'm happy we seem to have replaced Westwood, I think we will be a better team as a result and I'll be delighted if we get £5m.

I will though be over the moon to see the back of this toxic thread (please let it wither and die in other football) and light it puts us as a collective.

I for one wish Westwood the best of luck if he moves, I only wish some of our 'better' players had conducted themselves like him in recent years.

Spot on Trent.

Good luck Ashley.

• Like 2

I can see why some want to have a pity party for poor Ashley today. But not for me. He has fully deserved the criticism he receives and part of that has always been in response to the OTT praise and defence of him. The booing was uncalled for but even that's been made out to be worse than it actually was. 

Yes, he's not a complete word removed, yes we've had players with much worse attitudes and behaviour, so what? Being a nice guy didn't seem to warrant the same call to arms to protect the honour of Heskey or De La Cruz or other awful nice guy players we've had in the past. 

As a guy, I'm sure he's nice, as a player he's absolutely awful and has let this club down with his performances and cowardly approach on the pitch. 

I don't wish him harm, but I can't say I wish him well. I genuinely don't care what he does from this point on. 

His removal has been a long time coming, I'm just thrilled it's finally happened. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I can see why some want to have a pity party for poor Ashley today. But not for me. He has fully deserved the criticism he receives and part of that has always been in response to the OTT praise and defence of him. The booing was uncalled for but even that's been made out to be worse than it actually was. 

Pathetic comment.

So the wishes for a broken leg were justified because 'Villa fans went OTT in their praise of a Villa player'.

• Like 1

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Pathetic comment.

So the wishes for a broken leg were justified because 'Villa fans went OTT in their praise of a Villa player'.

No I used the word criticism. That's not criticism. That's one person on the internet being foolish. 

• Like 1

Amazed we are getting £5m for him but it's great news to be rid of him. Westwood's probelm was that he came in, people gave him a chance and then after ~18-24 months it was clear he wasn't good enough. However he continually played and was never replaced or upgraded as the team continued to sprial downwards. It's only natural that fans will turn on a player when they know he's not good enough if he's always playing in a team that's losing. It doesn't matter if he's a nice lad or if he works harder than someone else, fans are understandably frustrated having to watch this guy play below the level required week in week out.

One stirking thing about this is how a club looks at a player like westwood, who steve bruce has gone out of his way to replace as soon a possible, and thinks he's good enough to pay £5m for. If he's not good enough for a midtable championship team who are desparate to replace him why would anyone think he's good enough for the premier league. Surely for £5m you have to back yourself to be able to find a better player than this?  

• Like 1

I just find it sad that even when a player is leaving, some can't wait to then slag off those fans who may want to wish him off well.

Says a lot about them to be honest. This thread, completely pathetic until the last moments.

• Like 3