Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Best of luck Ash, I think it'll be a relief to have a fresh start... Hope you are able to kick on without the negativety and pressure. Fondly recall the semi final of the FA cup which you were pivotal in. 

53 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

If this move to Burnley goes through today then I will be delighted, only probably for different reasons to most. 

This thread and at times Westwood's treatment at games has in my view been embarrassing.

Whatever people's views on Westwood as a player, I just don't think he has warranted the abuse and vitriol directed at him.

I don't dispute that he hasn't progressed as a player, I don't dispute that he has failed to have enough impact in games over a prolonged period. I don't dispute he has been a central part of the worst midfield I've ever seen under successive managers.

But he has had the misfortune to play under some truly woeful managers with some terrible players.

Throughout that time, no matter how limited he may have been as a player, I think he has always been committed and always done his best.

So he bloody should people will be rushing to type. And yes I agree but we all know the reality of football and of Villa these last 7 years is different.

This club has been leached off and continues to be leached off by parasitic lazy arse players who contribute nothing and frankly couldn't careless, simply going through the motions.

Some of them aren't even fit enough to have consistent movement through 90 mins.

This club has been dogged by a collection of assclowns and whoppers on a scale usually only seen at a Trump rally.

I actually think the oxygen thief N'Zogbia was more liked by some than Westwood.

I'm happy we seem to have replaced Westwood, I think we will be a better team as a result and I'll be delighted if we get £5m.

I will though be over the moon to see the back of this toxic thread (please let it wither and die in other football) and light it puts us as a collective.

I for one wish Westwood the best of luck if he moves, I only wish some of our 'better' players had conducted themselves like him in recent years.

While i agree with the abuse being embarrassing, i think it got to a stage that the fans were so frustrated with his performance and ability that they probably felt it was their only way of telling the manager he was wrong.

Managers playing him consistently have to take a lot of the blame for the abuse he got. 

5 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

So you think fans gave him abuse because they enjoyed doing it and there was no other reason.

That isn't what you said.

You said they only abused him to show the manager he was wrong. I don't think that's the case. i think some just developed a blind hatred towards him.

And even so, booing a player to show a manager he's wrong is a laughably weak justification to boo a player onto the pitch.

Anyway. Looks like he might be off. Can we not just all wish him luck? Fingers crossed he finds some form and looks a decent player, much like others who haven't been good enough for us like Lowton and Albrighton.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I can see why some want to have a pity party for poor Ashley today. But not for me. He has fully deserved the criticism he receives and part of that has always been in response to the OTT praise and defence of him. The booing was uncalled for but even that's been made out to be worse than it actually was. 

Yes, he's not a complete word removed, yes we've had players with much worse attitudes and behaviour, so what? Being a nice guy didn't seem to warrant the same call to arms to protect the honour of Heskey or De La Cruz or other awful nice guy players we've had in the past. 

As a guy, I'm sure he's nice, as a player he's absolutely awful and has let this club down with his performances and cowardly approach on the pitch. 

I don't wish him harm, but I can't say I wish him well. I genuinely don't care what he does from this point on. 

His removal has been a long time coming, I'm just thrilled it's finally happened. 

Pity party? That about sums this thread up it really does.

• Like 4

Just in before the lock :)

I cant say i have ever been a fan of his but he seems a good guy. So i will try and remain positive for my last post. I am happy you got a move and i wont have to see you for the remainder of the 5 year contract you signed. Thanks Ashley and good luck. 

When he joined he looked like my kind of player but as the seasons went on he got ruined by the disastrous state of the club around him. 

For me £5m is daylight robbery but given how crazy the market is probably about right. We've paid crazy figures too so what goes around comes around. You either get stung on the fee or you find a gem with little contract and money goes into wages. 

Its a move both parties need but I can't think Burnely will see any different kind of player than we have. 

The way I see it, it's another player who just should never have been allowed to become an Aston Villa player, we went through a weird stage of signing cheap unknown players and he is one of the last ones from that era.

Aston Vills shouldn't be signing players with no pedigree or even a degree of being a hot prospect, we should be signing the hourihanes and Bree's, the Juan pablo angel's, the brad friedels, the carbone's,  mellbergs, laursens, etc, not players who are not on any other clubs radar! 

Sorry kinda went off point there and then struggled to think of actual decent players we have signed in the past. 

Ohh Milner, Downing, Young, Carew, Walker!

Edited by Tommo_b

End of Lamberts first season he looked like he was developing into a good payer.  Like the rest of that team apart from say Delph none of the really kicked on.  Even Tekkers wasn't as good as he was back then.

Our Managers have not been able to develop him so hopefully that happens at Burnley.

As others has said he never disrespected the club even in the barrage of abuse.

Good Luck Ashley

36 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Yep, Lescott, Richards, Agbonlahor, Hutton and others who have not performed or who have caused problems have had far less abuse.

What? Lescott went through a phase where every touch was booed, so did bacuna. And the abuse they both got on social media was way above Westwood. 

Again, it's this poor Ashley attitude where people have to leap to his defence 

11 hours ago, commander said:

Any manager that could make him competent in the Premier league (or Championship for that matter) deserves to be knighted. .

Words cannot really express the extent his presence has affected us over the past 5 sad pathetic years. The worst player in our history having played above 20 games for us - the fact he's nearly done 150 is a testament to how sorry we've become. We've averaged a point a game this season with him in the team. That's relegation form. 

Others may tell me he works hard, that i don't understand football etc, but it's clear to the ,majority that he's utterly shit, a coward and I just hope he goes then we can actually move forward. If it's a loan, there's no way they'll buy him after seeing him play, but I shouldn't complain, even if it's on loan it'll still be the greatest bit business we do this winter. Up The Villa

giphy.gif

Good luck Ashley.

I think in the right team, in the right system he'd actually be alright to be honest.  He's the type of midfielder that doesn't really excel at anything, he needs specific support around him.  He seems a bit reluctant to shoot and get forward, but I think in a team with confidence he's decent at keeping the ball moving, which is a valuable asset.

Getting £5m for him seems good to me.  I think we've done well to get that much, such is his stock levels within the club and I think Burnley won't regret paying that sum either.  It's a "nice" deal all round. 

This thread is sadly indicative of most football fans, and is why I dislike most of them - there isn't any objectivity.  Should a player have 1 bad game (or 5/10/20/150) they are absolute zeroes.  Whilst this may be true, there are always reasons for it.  Football is a team game after all and these men don't get these highly paid jobs without going through academies etc and excelling whilst there.  It's a shame that it has become "normal" for such attitudes and abuse to be accepted.  Say half of the things being said in this thread and other threads out in the public and you'd be arrested.  I don't see why falling under "football banter" this should be any different.  It shows huge disrespect to the person without knowing all of the facts and feelings.

It's fine having an opinion and it's fine to be frustrated, but there are acceptable ways and unacceptable ways of showing it, sadly, I think much of what gets said is unacceptable.

If everyone was a winner, football would be incredibly boring and monopolized.  Thank God it isn't.

• Like 1