Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Just now, TheMelvillan said:

westy gone. elphick on bench, hutton replaced. Would the next scapegoat please let themselves be known to the nearest VT-er

That's Sam Johnstone.  Duh!

8 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

If this move to Burnley goes through today then I will be delighted, only probably for different reasons to most. 

This thread and at times Westwood's treatment at games has in my view been embarrassing.

Whatever people's views on Westwood as a player, I just don't think he has warranted the abuse and vitriol directed at him.

I don't dispute that he hasn't progressed as a player, I don't dispute that he has failed to have enough impact in games over a prolonged period. I don't dispute he has been a central part of the worst midfield I've ever seen under successive managers.

But he has had the misfortune to play under some truly woeful managers with some terrible players.

Throughout that time, no matter how limited he may have been as a player, I think he has always been committed and always done his best.

So he bloody should people will be rushing to type. And yes I agree but we all know the reality of football and of Villa these last 7 years is different.

This club has been leached off and continues to be leached off by parasitic lazy arse players who contribute nothing and frankly couldn't careless, simply going through the motions.

Some of them aren't even fit enough to have consistent movement through 90 mins.

This club has been dogged by a collection of assclowns and whoppers on a scale usually only seen at a Trump rally.

I actually think the oxygen thief N'Zogbia was more liked by some than Westwood.

I'm happy we seem to have replaced Westwood, I think we will be a better team as a result and I'll be delighted if we get £5m.

I will though be over the moon to see the back of this toxic thread (please let it wither and die in other football) and light it puts us as a collective.

I for one wish Westwood the best of luck if he moves, I only wish some of our 'better' players had conducted themselves like him in recent years.

Really top post Trent and a fair assessment of his time with us.

The outrageous and frankly childish abuse he often received on this thread was never justified

• Like 1

If this move to Burnley goes through today then I will be delighted, only probably for different reasons to most. 

This thread and at times Westwood's treatment at games has in my view been embarrassing.

Whatever people's views on Westwood as a player, I just don't think he has warranted the abuse and vitriol directed at him.

I don't dispute that he hasn't progressed as a player, I don't dispute that he has failed to have enough impact in games over a prolonged period. I don't dispute he has been a central part of the worst midfield I've ever seen under successive managers.

But he has had the misfortune to play under some truly woeful managers with some terrible players.

Throughout that time, no matter how limited he may have been as a player, I think he has always been committed and always done his best.

So he bloody should people will be rushing to type. And yes I agree but we all know the reality of football and of Villa these last 7 years is different.

This club has been leached off and continues to be leached off by parasitic lazy arse players who contribute nothing and frankly couldn't careless, simply going through the motions.

Some of them aren't even fit enough to have consistent movement through 90 mins.

This club has been dogged by a collection of assclowns and whoppers on a scale usually only seen at a Trump rally.

I actually think the oxygen thief N'Zogbia was more liked by some than Westwood.

I'm happy we seem to have replaced Westwood, I think we will be a better team as a result and I'll be delighted if we get £5m.

I will though be over the moon to see the back of this toxic thread (please let it wither and die in other football) and light it puts us as a collective.

I for one wish Westwood the best of luck if he moves, I only wish some of our 'better' players had conducted themselves like him in recent years.

Only seeing this now but I 100% agree with it.  The player always did his best and that's not something all of his team-mates can say.  If his best ultimately wasn't good enough for a variety of reasons then that's fair enough, but he leaves with his head held high and as I've said above, I really do wish him the best at Burnley.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Wasn't Lowtons missus being a mewing quim about having to live in Birmingham? Lowton was told he had to relocate closer to Villa and his missus was a clearing in the woods about it wasnt she?

Hmm... maybe but he also got a bit of the 'Westwood Treatment' on VT too. I won't name and shame but I have just pasted in one comment from his thread after Lowton left for Burnley:

'He cannot and never could defend at premier league level - he gets beaten too easily one on one and is all over the place in terms of positioning. And unlike say Bacuna, he hasn't got the physical attributes, in particular pace, to make up for it. I think he will do very well at Championship level, and good luck to him, but another one in an increasingly long list of players we have signed in recent years who simply cannot cut it in the Premier League.'

I shall be interested to see how Westwood gets on.

Post of the day!

Genuinely wish the guy well.

As many have said, he didn't deserve the abuse he got, and I think he suffered from the pile of shite around him on many occasions. I suspect he won't go on to bigger and better things in his career, but he tried hard and genuinely seemed to give a shit about the club. As fans, we can ask no more from a man.

When he walks back into Villa Park next season, I hope he gets a reasonable round of applause - more abuse would be unfair.

Edited by Pez1974
  • Like 1