Ashley Westwood

Nabby

If Bruce plays his normal 5 accross the middle then I don't think he will play Westwood to January.  You will have Tishobola, Jednick sitting and possibly Grealish or McCormack.  Garner will be in there ahead of Westwood to, funny feeling he will get a run as he strikes me as a Bruce player. I.e strong and an eye for goal from midfield 

25 minutes ago, bobzy said:

2 central midfielders does not equal a 2 man midfield. 

No but Ashley Westwood has played a as 2 cm pairing with other midfielders supporting. It may not be exactly the same system as a 4-4-2 but the same support is there. Kante and drinkwater are proof it can work. Albrighton and mahrez although hardworking were very very attack minded. 

Kante was simply awesome at covering ground and shows that if you work hard enough it can be done.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

No but Ashley Westwood has played a as 2 cm pairing with other midfielders supporting. It may not be exactly the same system as a 4-4-2 but the same support is there. Kante and drinkwater are proof it can work. Albrighton and mahrez although hardworking were very very attack minded. 

Kante was simply awesome at covering ground and shows that if you work hard enough it can be done.

Like you say.....you need durable, industrious players with a tendency to dominate to allow it to work.

fingers crossed, we may look for some now.....however i like Tshibola.

For my take on this lad, and I see what Lambert was doing here, like a lot of us wanted at the time, in going the Wenger philosophy and buying young from lower leagues.

Sadly I cannot see him progressing any further than the level we are at.

Hopefully the current manager might get something out of him in terms of a performance this season and then we let him go come the summer once we arrive back home to the premier league.

12 hours ago, villan_007 said:

Can we not slate bruce for playing him until jan - we don't have the number to not play him really.

true but it would be an example if he wasnt selected. plus could a youth team player do any worse at this stage

Bruce spoke in very simple terms of how he would like to play which i liked saying we need to get the ball forward quickly with passing it rather than lumping it forward. I do worry with some of our personnel when it comes to that. Elphick and Jedinak can slow it up. Grealish for all his talent and U21 accolades can be quite laborious on the ball at senior level, men's football. I don't buy into the he's young argument. Well so is John Swift, not doing bad is he ! We have talent to really hurt wolves, be great to see amavi get his confidence back, no matter how much money a guy earns a leg break is horrible, especially the aftermath psychologically. I think McCormack will like playing for Bruce.

43 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Bruce spoke in very simple terms of how he would like to play which i liked saying we need to get the ball forward quickly with passing it rather than lumping it forward. I do worry with some of our personnel when it comes to that. Elphick and Jedinak can slow it up. Grealish for all his talent and U21 accolades can be quite laborious on the ball at senior level, men's football. I don't buy into the he's young argument. Well so is John Swift, not doing bad is he ! We have talent to really hurt wolves, be great to see amavi get his confidence back, no matter how much money a guy earns a leg break is horrible, especially the aftermath psychologically. I think McCormack will like playing for Bruce.

If that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised if Westwood plays regularly under Bruce, at least until we sign some other midfielders. He's probably the only midfielder in our squad adept at this.

53 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

If that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised if Westwood plays regularly under Bruce, at least until we sign some other midfielders. He's probably the only midfielder in our squad adept at this.

I actually posted my last comment in the wrong thread, apologies. No Westwood is awful, has no bottle, wants to get rid of the ball anywhere. Tshibola is our best midfielder, even be willing to give lyden a go beside him. I hope I'm wrong on Jedinak but on the evidence so far, palace have mugged us.

For him to work in a midfield it has to be a midfield 3 where the 2 other midfielders do almost all the tackling, creativity, marking, pressing and so on.

Kinda like when we had Delph and Cleverly alongside him.

But at that point you have to wonder why not replace him with someone who actually offers something beside covering a lot of ground without ever finding himself in the right place, the odd through ball and floated corners?

For lack of options he will play a part until January, but then he must be replaced.

• Like 3

On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 20:34, HeyAnty said:

If Bruce plays his normal 5 accross the middle then I don't think he will play Westwood to January.  You will have Tishobola, Jednick sitting and possibly Grealish or McCormack.  Garner will be in there ahead of Westwood to, funny feeling he will get a run as he strikes me as a Bruce player. I.e strong and an eye for goal from midfield 

Gardner isn't strong?

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

I actually posted my last comment in the wrong thread, apologies. No Westwood is awful, has no bottle, wants to get rid of the ball anywhere. Tshibola is our best midfielder, even be willing to give lyden a go beside him. I hope I'm wrong on Jedinak but on the evidence so far, palace have mugged us.

I didn't say he was good or bad, just that he fit the description you stated. You don't have to be particularly amazing to fit a system and be effective.