Ashley Westwood

Nabby

27 minutes ago, avfc1982 said:

Having Westwood in the team over the last few years is definitely one of the reasons we've been so shite for so long. Open your eyes, mate, there's a reason why we've had the worst midfield ever. Westwood is integral to it. 

"The worst midfield ever". Interesting.

I won't look up stats for last season on my phone but, from memory, we came around 10th in terms of possession, lower mid-table (15th I think) in chances created and had a midfielder (Gueye) with the second most interceptions in the Premier League.

However, we hit the target with the least consistency (20th in the league), had the worst shots on target to goal ratio (20th in the league), conceded the most goals, scored the fewest goals and suffered the most yellow cards - with Hutton, Ayew and Cissokho our main offenders.

Obviously our entire team was very poor last season but the midfield was easily the most decent part of it. There's a reason teams have taken, say, Gueye, Veretout and Gil whilst we sit here with Lescott, Richards and Agbonlahor on our books. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I won't look up stats for last season on my phone but, from memory, we came around 10th in terms of possession, lower mid-table (15th I think) in chances created and had a midfielder (Gueye) with the second most interceptions in the Premier League.

However, we hit the target with the least consistency (20th in the league), had the worst shots on target to goal ratio (20th in the league), conceded the most goals, scored the fewest goals and suffered the most yellow cards - with Hutton, Ayew and Cissokho our main offenders.

Obviously our entire team was very poor last season but the midfield was easily the most decent part of it. There's a reason teams have taken, say, Gueye, Veretout and Gil whilst we sit here with Lescott, Richards and Agbonlahor on our books. 

our midfield was a disgrace last season, stats can prove anything people want them to. I seen enough of our midfield last season get walked around by teams that arent even that special

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

maybe the blend was poor and maybe you are right that it wasn't the worst midfield that we have ever had.....but to say it was the most decent part of it, well.

I thought the midfield as a unit was poor, very poor.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

our midfield was a disgrace last season, stats can prove anything people want them to. I seen enough of our midfield last season get walked around by teams that arent even that special

I'm not denying they were very poor - just not the worst ever nor, indeed, the worst in the league. The fact we couldn't score nor defend relegated us.

29 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'm not denying they were very poor - just not the worst ever nor, indeed, the worst in the league. The fact we couldn't score nor defend relegated us.

Are you implying the midfield had no say in that?

20 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

that midfield was without doubt the worst midfield in the league. And it's more than reasonable to suggest it's the worst midfield in the league ever. Absolutely shocking.

We had the worst attack and defence in addition, but to suggest that midfield wasn't the worst is just daft.

There were plenty of games where we looked good in midfield and controlled large parts of games. I can't think of any times when we really looked good at the back or up front. Yes, the midfield plays a part in both, but in many games the midfield performance was let down at one or both ends of the pitch.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Best thread on villa talk ever! 

Yes well I've probably been following far too closely the last few days. Might go bump the Gabby thread just to try and change the mood. Oh hang a minute....

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

From what I saw, the lack of creativity and lack of protection from our midfield, played a big part in both those things you mentioned. 

Last year we were one of the worst teams in premier league, quite possibly the worst when you take other things into account. 

There was no part of that team that could be labeled as better than others IMO. 

1 hour ago, Woodytom said:

that midfield was without doubt the worst midfield in the league. And it's more than reasonable to suggest it's the worst midfield in the league ever. Absolutely shocking.

We had the worst attack and defence in addition, but to suggest that midfield wasn't the worst is just daft.

That's your opinion - certainly not daft to suggest otherwise. I think our midfield was better than that of Norwich, Sunderland and West Brom off the top of my head.

The main problem was being unable to score and having silly mistakes cost us time and time again - Guzan vs Dyer, Lescott vs anyone, Bacuna lobbing a backpass to Shane Long, Amavi getting caught on the ball etc etc

We were competitive (in terms of "in the game") for a hell of a lot more games than the final table suggests. We were just absolutely toothless and, also, incredibly leaky at the back. Of course the midfield played a part in this (again, I'm not saying it was great!), but just nowhere near the same extent.

Our midfielders are being sought after - our other players really aren't.

• Like 3

He was part of the worst midfield ever therefore he's a bad midfielder is such poor logic. You know who else was part of that midfield? Fabian Delph, who played in a CL semifinal last season. Must be terrible too.

Edited by Keyblade

10 hours ago, bobzy said:

Good god, if you thought our midfield was the best part of our team last season then you must have been watching a different team to me. That midfield was the worst Villa midfield I've seen in my life and no amount of stat manipulation you come up with will ever persuade me different. Westwood has been a stain on Aston Villa and the sooner he's gone the better. Just look at how bad we've become since he arrived. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He was part of the worst midfield ever therefore he's a bad midfielder is such poor logic. You know who else was part of that midfield? Fabian Delph, who played in a CL semifinal last season. Must be terrible too.

Delph played no part in our relegation last season. Westwood was the main man in midfield, and what a dog's dinner he made of it.