Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I thought he was pretty decent today, played quite a few passes that people would have been creaming themselves about if Veretout had played them.

He did get a bit lucky with the penalty decision, but the ball was just played against his arm from a few feet away while his arm was in a natural position by his side - seen them given, but it would have been harsh and nothing he could have done to avoid it.

• Like 1

I don't think he should start for us. He lacks confidence going forward most of the time and offers little defensively. I think our three other midfielders all offer something particular - attacking (Veretout), athleticism (Gana) and defensive (Sanchez). To me he doesn't show enough confidence most of the time in playing penetrating passes or passes that can change the play (switching to the other flank for example). He plays it too safe most of the time.

9 minutes ago, bose said:

playing penetrating passes or passes that can change the play 

Literally no idea what you watch. He did both of these things yesterday culminating in us getting a penalty from his pass.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

I can think of at least 3 times where he hit diagonal passes that set us up on the attack, mostly to Hutton. One in particular he hit on the volley which was particularly memorable. I wish @GENTLEMAN would make a highlights video of his game yesterday to prove that he does indeed take risks and doesn't play it safe as is often misconstrued.

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Literally no idea what you watch. He did both of these things yesterday culminating in us getting a penalty from his pass.

I've actually been a fan of Westwood his whole time here. I just think that he currently lacks confidence most of the time in playing attacking passes. One example doesn't nullify my point at all. I'd like to see Gil or even Grealish given a chance instead.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

I can think of at least 3 times where he hit diagonal passes that set us up on the attack, mostly to Hutton. One in particular he hit on the volley which was particularly memorable. I wish @GENTLEMAN would make a highlights video of his game yesterday to prove that he does indeed take risks and doesn't play it safe as is often misconstrued.

This too. I cant see how you could watch that game and just say he played safe. He did a lot of short passes, which was his role, but he played a few penetrating passes and set up the penalty! The most useful penetrating pass of the game.

22 minutes ago, meregreen said:

I've never based my opinion of a player on one game. 

On 12/27/2015 at 00:56, meregreen said:

Anonymous again.

Right, you don't. ;)

Never mind the assist eh. Anonymous.