Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I think it's the best thread tbh.

Especially now that even his supporters are starting to realise he's a bit pants :D.

Weird that that's coinciding with the rest of the team also being pants this season.

Edited by Keyblade

Commander is right.A proper defensive midfielder should have been in that gap between the CHs, none of the midfielders were there.Now if Westwood was picked as the defensive midfielder, then he was out of position.

If your defensive midfielder is playing between the two centre halves then that's when he's out of position.

Yep - Sanchez would have just been there preventing the pass.

Yeah he did a great job of that in his last game vs Liverpool where he let miller have loads of space leading to 2 easy chances for him. Also watch Sturridge score the wonder goal and then try sing Sanchezs praises... He will never get to grips with English football.

Imagine if Westwood came onto VillaTalk and saw the post count for his thread. He'd probably say to himself "Wow,that's an awful lot of posts for someone who is generally just a neat and tidy player. I hope they aren't slagging off my corners"

• Like 2

Commander is right.A proper defensive midfielder should have been in that gap between the CHs, none of the midfielders were there.Now if Westwood was picked as the defensive midfielder, then he was out of position.

If your defensive midfielder is playing between the two centre halves then that's when he's out of position.

Yep - Sanchez would have just been there preventing the pass.

Unlikely.

I think it's the best thread tbh.

Especially now that even his supporters are starting to realise he's a bit pants :D.

have you not considered that the posters-who-defend-Westwood-from-ridiculous-criticism-and-also-think-he's-a-good-player-that-has-had-a-few-poor-games-this-season™ are just sick to the teeth trying to correct idiots who ignore reason and logic because they're so incensed by the way Ashley kicks the ball from a corner towards the penalty spot?

• Like 1

I like Ash, he is a rare breed where we picked a young English lad up from League 2 for a million quid, gave him a chance and he has done really well for himself.  Plenty of pundits I've watched mention his quality, yes he has his limits, hence why he was so cheap in the first place, but in a good side he'd be an important cog in a passing midfield.  We aren't there yet but i really don't think he deserves as much stick, it's not as if he was brought in under huge fan fair and disappointed, or not given a **** like some players.  It's not as if he gets preferential treatment from managers as at stages he has lost his place, but come back in because the alternatives aren't great.  

The corners are frustrating though.  There must be a combined theory that it works, but from what I remember one of the rare times he whipped in a swinging corner last year Benteke headed it in.  He has a good enough delivery to do it, the floaty shit is just weird.

• Like 2

He's a glue player and every squad no matter the sport needs a glue player. He was basically playing his and Gana's position against Stoke. Absolutely laughable the criticism he gets on here. It shows a complete lack of understanding of the game. 

• Like 1

Do you want everything spelt out to you Stevo?

A defensive midfielder plays in front of the CHs, and cuts out the pass to bisect the CHs.Watch the goal again from sat, Westwood goes chasing the ball, and leaves the hole for an easy pass to the Stoke player.Now IF Westwood is supposed to be the defensive midfielder, then yes it was his fault, as was the goal against the Albion, as was at least 2 against Lplop.We need a defensive midfielder to play a dedicated defensive role, not sure that Westwood has the attributes to do that.

• Like 1

A defensive midfielder plays in front of the CHs, and cuts out the pass to bisect the CHs.Watch the goal again from sat, Westwood goes chasing the ball, and leaves the hole for an easy pass to the Stoke player.Now IF Westwood is supposed to be the defensive midfielder, then yes it was his fault, as was the goal against the Albion, as was at least 2 against Lplop.We need a defensive midfielder to play a dedicated defensive role, not sure that Westwood has the attributes to do that.

You've never played defensive midfield, have you?

I've seen the goal plenty of times. What you're saying is literally completely wrong. If Westwood was meant covering the stoke striker them his defenders would be asking what the **** he was doing.

The goal is the fault of the defenders.

There's four of them, and three stoke players pushing up. Richards and Hutton are caught marking the same man, as were Crespo and Amavi, with none of those four covering the very obvious run from Arnautovic. 

You're completely wrong.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

Based on your analysis of the position, wouldn't it then be Sherwood's fault for playing a player who doesn't have defensive attributes in a defensive role?

Also, playing in the deeper lying position doesn't mean you have to be defensive.

• Like 1

You've never played defensive midfield, have you?

I've seen the goal plenty of times. What you're saying is literally completely wrong. If Westwood was meant covering the stoke striker them his defenders would be asking what the **** he was doing.

The goal is the fault of the defenders.

There's four of them, and three stoke players pushing up. Richards and Hutton are caught marking the same man, as were Crespo and Amavi, with none of those four covering the very obvious run from Arnautovic. 

You're completely wrong.

Personally I thought Richards and Crespo were to blame for the goal, more the latter for getting sucked towards Amavi and opening a gap in the line, then Richards for not coming across to cover the space and in the process Arnautovic.

Westwood was not responsible for the goal on Saturday although I would like us to see what Veretout and Gana can do together for a few games with Gil in front of them. Westwood hasn't been as bad as some are making out but I do think there is a better combination without him in the midfield at the moment.   

I think people are getting largely tired of him as he has played over 100 times for Villa in a period in which we have been useless, and that he is probably not really going to get any better.

He might be neat and tidy but he was any good he would have a- had a England cap by now, and b- have probably been sold.

I think people are getting largely tired of him as he has played over 100 times for Villa in a period in which we have been useless, and that he is probably not really going to get any better.

He might be neat and tidy but he was any good he would have a- had a England cap by now, and b- have probably been sold.

It took Delph 18 months of superb form to get an England call-up. I bet if Westwood was on Liverpool's bench for one game he'd get a call-up. That's not a way to measure a player's worth.You never see other players in the squad analyzed using such silly metrics. Besides those are illogical reasosn for disliking Westwood, and completely unfair. He played 100 times in a bad Villa side? Hardly his fault. He might be neat and tidy, but it's his job to be neat and tidy and by your own admission he seems to be doing his job okay.

I don't think that it's particularly outlandish to equate value with whether or not the player has been called up to the national team - there are a few exceptions but generally it means that they're of a decent standard.

All i will say is that he has been the common denominator in our shit midfield over the past 3 years.  Really do think he is allot to do with what is wrong with AstonVilla over the past couple of years regards their ambition and attitude. 

• Like 1