Ashley Westwood

Nabby

He had a couple of bad games but was back to himself yesterday and put in a good performance, oh and his corners were better than the 3 that were taken when he went off. ;)

But there's the massive problem. He's back to form but has zero effect on the outcome of the game for us. I go back to the 'when is he going to stand up and be counted'' debate. 

Tho all you get is he is not that kind of player. Which is as ironic as the fact he can't play in a 2.

For someone who has amassed some outrageous praise in the past (not only was he going to play for England he was a future England captain), he hasn't half got some excuse courtesy of his supporters.

Unfortunately, ashley westwood is one of our best players now it would seem and that is a massive massive issue in terms of having any hope of surviving.

• Like 1

Commander is right.A proper defensive midfielder should have been in that gap between the CHs, none of the midfielders were there.Now if Westwood was picked as the defensive midfielder, then he was out of position.

I actually think the reason why we give so many goals away is because of the midfield, they are not set up properly, and they are not resolute or astute enough.I would play at least one defensive midfielder, and tell him to just play in front of the CHs, preferably Sanchez as he is more physical.

• Like 2

He had a couple of bad games but was back to himself yesterday and put in a good performance, oh and his corners were better than the 3 that were taken when he went off. ;)

But there's the massive problem. He's back to form but has zero effect on the outcome of the game for us. 

Apart from creating our best chance which should have been scored.

Edited by StefanAVFC

But there's the massive problem. He's back to form but has zero effect on the outcome of the game for us. 

Did that effect the outcome of the game for us? 

Don't you get it? He was back on form and he created one decent chance that you seem to be clinging to like it's some major achievement.

Yes it proves he did more than most but that's the problem. We have a lot of players who somehow, unbelievably having cost decent money, are playing worse than westwood.

That goes a lone way to explaining why we are down the bottom.

Don't you get it? He was back on form and he created one decent chance that you seem to be clinging to like it's some major achievement.

Yes it proves he did more than most but that's the problem. We have a lot of players who somehow, unbelievably having cost decent money, are playing worse than westwood.

It should have. Because it should have been scored.

I'm not clinging onto it in the slightest. Or making it a 'major achievement'. That's you creating a straw man. You said 'he had zero effect on the outcome of the game'

If you're pedantic then I guess you're right, but you're making out it's his fault that Richards missed a sitter? 

And you've made other players' underachievement into a slight on Westwood :D

That's incredible.

PS. I've said over and over again that Westwood hasn't been great. Yesterday he was okay. I refuted the claims that he was terrible.

• Like 1

It should have. Because it should have been scored.

I'm not clinging onto it in the slightest. Or making it a 'major achievement'. That's you creating a straw man. You said 'he had zero effect on the outcome of the game'

If you're pedantic then I guess you're right, but you're making out it's his fault that Richards missed a sitter? 

And you've made other players' underachievement into a slight on Westwood :D

That's incredible.

PS. I've said over and over again that Westwood hasn't been great. Yesterday he was okay. I refuted the claims that he was terrible.

Stefan I'm not using players underachievements as a slight on Westwood. 

I'm simply saying that Westwood being one of our better players is an enormous issue. 

We are in a mess and right now I haven't seen anything to suggest that we have anything like Cleverley, Delph or tekkers to drag us out of it.

Ashley westwood definitely won't drag us out of it.

Our corners improved SO MUCH when he went off.  That one at the end was particularly brilliant.

He'll always be scapegoated.  The thread is pointless.  Haters will continually hate.

Talk about being damned with faint praise...

Our corners improved SO MUCH when he went off.  That one at the end was particularly brilliant.

He'll always be scapegoated.  The thread is pointless.  Haters will continually hate.

He's not been scapegoated, some people simply don't rate him

The thread is no more pointless than the many others about specific players

Just because someone disagrees with you about a player, doesn't mean they "hate " him. A silly thing to say.

Somebody had a go at him for being 'out of position' when he was creating our best chance of the game.

I'd say that's scapegoating and having a go for the sake of it.

I wouldn't.I think people have a low opinion of him for more reasons than that. 

• Like 1

Somebody had a go at him for being 'out of position' when he was creating our best chance of the game.

I'm not talking about 'people'.

I'm talking about one person who actually wrote that.

Which was an example of scapegoating.

Which you deny is happening.

• Like 1

Haters...is plural

As in more than one. 

Yep. You used the word "haters" which is plural, as in more than one.

Yep. You used the word "haters" which is plural, as in more than one.

I didn't?

Commander is right.A proper defensive midfielder should have been in that gap between the CHs, none of the midfielders were there.Now if Westwood was picked as the defensive midfielder, then he was out of position.

If your defensive midfielder is playing between the two centre halves then that's when he's out of position.

If your defensive midfielder is playing between the two centre halves then that's when he's out of position.

Yep - Sanchez would have just been there preventing the pass.