Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Benteke got a 32 million pound move to Liverpool, get a grip if think is any comparison as he would have left the season previously only for injury

players Westwood be compared with are Cattermole, O'Shea, Colloccini

So all players who have played the majority of their career in the top flight?

It's just so predictable though its becoming comical

Whenever you see him step up to take a corner you just laugh to yourself and know it's going to be shite i did a few times against Liverpool

Shame you can't bet on them and make money out of it

• Like 1

The management and coaching are to blame for that to be fair.

Not that I'm letting Westwood off the hook. his corners are shite. But like we keep saying, why oh why isn't Sherwood getting someone else to take them?

• Like 1

Not that I'm letting Westwood off the hook. his corners are shite. But like we keep saying, why oh why isn't Sherwood getting someone else to take them?

I think Gil would be good at taking set pieces if the manager actually decided to play him he seems to have a cultured foot and can strike a ball well judging from the goals he's scored since he's been here

I think Gil would be good at taking set pieces if the manager actually decided to play him he seems to have a cultured foot and can strike a ball well judging from the goals he's scored since he's been here

COeVyA-UEAAj-dO.jpg

Edited by HanoiVillan

You're not being harsh, you're just not paying attention.

Good players stand out for me, that's my point

I've seen him play a lot and he never really adds that much to the side IMO

Yes, he's a grafter but that's his job to cover a lot of the pitch

Some say he's an unsung hero, well so was Dessie Bremner but no one argued whether he was any good or not

The only thing that stands out for me is his frequent s@@t delivery from dead ball situations

• Like 2

Bang average, fits in well.

Too small, not strong enough and is very limited in his range of passing. He also happens to be the worst set piece taker I can think of.

I wonder what Sid thinks when he sees Westwood butcher free kicks and corners, probably laughs at him but like us feels bad for the club.

Another player who will Sherwood the sack.

very limited in his range of passing. 

:crylaugh:

He's the best passer in the squad.

What the **** do people watch!? Making stuff up to have a go at a player just boggles my mind.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

Bang average, fits in well.

Too small, not strong enough and is very limited in his range of passing. He also happens to be the worst set piece taker I can think of.

I wonder what Sid thinks when he sees Westwood butcher free kicks and corners, probably laughs at him but like us feels bad for the club.

Another player who will Sherwood the sack.

You don't watch Villa much do you?

That's almost like saying Benteke wasn't very strong.

Hopefully Westwood will be benched for the Stoke game but after starting all 7 of our league games this season I expect we'll have to suffer some more of those awful set pieces for a while yet.

I think we should stick with them, but somehow get them to work more effectively.  A softer corner (rather than something whipped in) allows for attacking players to make a run at the ball.  I assume that was the plan with Benteke (strong in the air) and Gestede (strong in the air) in particular.

Gestede's goal against Bournemouth and header against Liverpool are great examples of this.  The ball had plenty of time in the air so he's been able to judge the flight and properly attack it, generating a lot of the power on his own.  Benteke did this plenty of times as well (e.g:  'above the bar' header against Sunderland).

I'd like to see a bit of variation for variations sake, but I have nothing against this style of corner whilst we carry a genuine aerial threat in the team.

Westwood is a tough call, he can look very poor when he loses possession or can't challenge players but when we have the ball he looks composed and always offers himself for a pass.

If Westwood  was stronger on the ball and in the challenge he would be a fantastic player and I'm sure the way he takes free kicks or corners is dictated to him rather than him just deciding to float it in, I really am 50/50 with him

Ah bless, I don't care how many of you jump in to defend Westwood he's the problem in midfield.

Until he's dropped we will struggle as he's not good enough.

If he's our best passer then this club will be down by Christmas, stats for "tap" football might be good but he creates nothing.

• Like 2

Westwood is slowly becoming the new Bannan vilified by many loved by the few

I think we need a heat map to confirm if he is any good.

WestwoodNotGil.0.gif

76xfyCw.gif

Barry actually connected with his

Edited by AshVilla