Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I'm sure some people make up their mind who they are going to scapegoat before the match starts and refuse to change their opinion regardless of performances in the game. Brad has been back to form and Bacuna wasn't playing, so that only leaves Westwood.

• Like 3

I am westwoods biggest critic. I don't think he adds anything to the team and think defensively he does massive harm.

but credit where it is due, thought he looked pretty good yesterday. He used the ball well and was better than gana ( who was very poor)

everyone saying how well he played. 

The rest of your post is void because literally nobody said this. "Pretty well' was the highest praise he received.

At the end of the day, he created our best chance that Richards should have finished. 

yet was directly culpable for their goal.

The rest of your post is void because literally nobody said this. "Pretty well' was the highest praise he received.

At the end of the day, he created our best chance that Richards should have finished. 

The centre halves will be glad that you absolve them of any blame.

• Like 1

I'm sure some people make up their mind who they are going to scapegoat before the match starts and refuse to change their opinion regardless of performances in the game. Brad has been back to form and Bacuna wasn't playing, so that only leaves Westwood.

or maybe people make their mind up from 4 years worth of poor and (positionally) ill-discipline. He's one of the few constants in the past 4 years and is one of the largest guilty parties along with Gabby. If we had someone who would just sit and offer protection in front of the back 4 we wouldn't have been in so many relegation scraps so late in the season. His cross for Richards was brilliant, but he was picked second half to play the bottom of the diamond, so shouldn't have been there, (like the Leicester game when he just played like an 8 year old chasing the ball), had he been where he should have been would johnsons through ball have got there? Watch him play he chases after the ball not pressing the man. 

Any team that has Westwood playing DCM will be highly likey to be fighting relegation - this isn't blaming one individual, but DCM is the most imprtant on the pitch, tracking the playmakers, protecting the defense, anticipating play. he doesn't do this. Those that see him as a carrick / pirlo.... watch them play. the possesion is purposeful, not with Westwood where it's putting the onus on someone else to take responsibility for starting an attack.

everyone saying how well he played. He was picked to play DM second half, you would expect that someone picked to play DCM should actually play there, had he played his position, then the goal would never have happened. 

He summarises everything that's wrong about our team. He's been picked to play deep lying / defensive midfielder, he's weak doesn't mark people or track his man, he's been culpable / part culpable for half the goals we've conceded since he's been here. 

He does have some decent passes on him, but they are very few and far between. Most of his passes are sideways/ backwards. This possession retention is great when you're winning but when you're not winning (which le's face it is the situation most common to us) he literally offers nothing. For a long time we've been set up as a counter attacking team with pacey forwards, so by slowing down the game and playing sideways we're not utilising one of the very few benefits we have. 

For me he should never, ever play DCM on his own, might be Ok dependent on who we're playing alngside someone like Sanchez, but he's simply rubbish in DCM. I'd have given him a run wide right in a central 3 trying to eclipse Cleverly the later part of the season, but we have better players ho can play there. 

It's very simple to maintain an extremely high percentage pass accuracy rating if you continually pick the simple easy pass, but it doesn't get us anywhere. Bannan for his (many) faults at least used to attempt to pass the ball forward.

So he should be marking the stoke left sided winger?

absolute nonsense. Scapegoating at its finest. 

So he shouldn't be there to create our best chance? So even him creating our best chance is him doing something wrong.

His cross for Richards was brilliant, but he was picked second half to play the bottom of the diamond, so shouldn't have been there, (like the Leicester game when he just played like an 8 year old chasing the ball), had he been where he should have been would johnsons through ball have got there?

These 2 statements aren't mutually exclusive! You can't have a go at him for creating our best chance. It's just nonsense. Complete and utter nonsense.

PS he was there to create that chance because he was taking a free kick. Should he just stay back even though it's a set piece siruation? By that logic, CB's shouldn't ever come up for corners.

And to blame him for our goal is just ridiculous. It's 100% the CB's fault.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Are we really still peddling the myth that he only passes sideways or backwards?

I think the myth is more that he is anything other than a below average League 2 player.

Hahahahah stop posting for effect

Edited by StefanAVFC

everyone saying how well he played. He was picked to play DM second half, you would expect that someone picked to play DCM should actually play there, had he played his position, then the goal would never have happened. 

He summarises everything that's wrong about our team. He's been picked to play deep lying / defensive midfielder, he's weak doesn't mark people or track his man, he's been culpable / part culpable for half the goals we've conceded since he's been here. 

He does have some decent passes on him, but they are very few and far between. Most of his passes are sideways/ backwards. This possession retention is great when you're winning but when you're not winning (which le's face it is the situation most common to us) he literally offers nothing. For a long time we've been set up as a counter attacking team with pacey forwards, so by slowing down the game and playing sideways we're not utilising one of the very few benefits we have. 

For me he should never, ever play DCM on his own, might be Ok dependent on who we're playing alngside someone like Sanchez, but he's simply rubbish in DCM. I'd have given him a run wide right in a central 3 trying to eclipse Cleverly the later part of the season, but we have better players ho can play there. 

It's very simple to maintain an extremely high percentage pass accuracy rating if you continually pick the simple easy pass, but it doesn't get us anywhere. Bannan for his (many) faults at least used to attempt to pass the ball forward.

when he drifts in to teh edge of the box yes. He should be protecting the defence, that's his supposed position. It's not that difficult to follow? What the **** is he doing running out chasing  after the ball (when it's already been passed)? He doesn't press the ball - he runs after the ball after it's been being passed - he plays football out of possesion like an 8 year old runs after the ball and gets no where near it

How you can watch that goal and blame Westwood is absolutely mental.

2u5ghax.png

If there wasn't a chasm between our CB's (as in Crespo isn't drawn across to Diouf for some reason as he's comfortably covered), the goal doesn't happen. It's as simple as that.

Scape. Goat.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 3

absolute nonsense. Scapegoating at its finest. 

So he shouldn't be there to create our best chance? So even him creating our best chance is him doing something wrong.

And to blame him for our goal is just ridiculous. It's 100% the CB's fault.

it's not scapegoating, it's understanding football and positions; he was picked to play defensive midfield. he didn't and doesn't protect the defence. to make it easy for you - think of the way makele used to play, that is the position that he has been picked to play. If he was playing defensive midfield and thus on the edge of the box then do the CBs get exposed? I'm not absolving them of blame they are rubbish too - but they are made to look a lot worse  because they have no protection. 

when he's been picked to play the bottom of a diamond, no i wouldn't expect him to be there in their box. i don't understand why you think our defensive midfielder should be once again leaving his position especially when it was literally minutes after he let their player get the ball played to his feet on the edge of the b0x.

do you think it's only a defenders responsibility to defend?

How you can watch that goal and blame Westwood is absolutely mental.

2u5ghax.png

If there wasn't a chasm between our CB's (as in Crespo isn't drawn across to Diouf for some reason as he's comfortably covered), the goal doesn't happen. It's as simple as that.

Scape. Goat.

what aout the chasm between our defensive midfielder and CBs? If he palys the position he's on the edge of teh box. who ever it is on the left has come back, we have 2 mids come back on the right and our DCM acting the fool infront of the ball chasing after it

This is absolutely ridiculous.

In a series of posts you've:

1) Blamed Westwood for their goal (when it wasn't his fault)

2) Blamed Westwood for being out of position when creating our best chance of the game. It's been explained why he was 'out of position'. Because he took. the. set. piece. that. we. nearly. scored. from. I'll ask you again. Should CB's not come up for corners? Because then they aren't defending? I'll change your words for that scenario. 'When I pick a CB to play in defence, I wouldn't expect him to be there in their box'. It's absolutely **** mental to have a go at a midfielder for creating our best chance because he's 'out of position' when he was taking the set piece. FFS.

I never ONCE implied that it's only a defenders jobs to defend. I'm merely correcting you on two of your points. That the goal was Westwood's fault and that Westwood shouldn't be in a position to create our best chance of the game.

I mean, **** hell, VT baffles me at times. But having a go at our player for creating our best chance because he's out of position. **** hell.

everyone saying how well he played. He was picked to play DM second half, you would expect that someone picked to play DCM should actually play there, had he played his position, then the goal would never have happened. He summarises everything that's wrong about our team. He's been picked to play deep lying / defensive midfielder, he's weak doesn't mark people or track his man, he's been culpable / part culpable for half the goals we've conceded since he's been here. 

So he should be marking the stoke left sided winwing

Such shite talk, watch the goal again and form your opinion on fact and not what you want to believe. He pushed out to press the ball as veretout and Gana were both marking the same man on our right side which left us exposed, one of them should of tracked him instead of both marking one player and just standing there.

Edited by Bunnski

everyone saying how well he played. He was picked to play DM second half, you would expect that someone picked to play DCM should actually play there, had he played his position, then the goal would never have happened. He summarises everything that's wrong about our team. He's been picked to play deep lying / defensive midfielder, he's weak doesn't mark people or track his man, he's been culpable / part culpable for half the goals we've conceded since he's been here. 

when he drifts in to teh edge of the box yes. He should be protecting the defence, that's his supposed position. It's not that difficult to follow? What the **** is he doing running out chasing  after the ball (when it's already been passed)? He doesn't press the ball - he runs after the ball after it's been being passed - he plays football out of possesion like an 8 year old runs after the ball and gets no where near it

Such shite talk, watch the goal again and form your opinion on fact and not what you want to believe. He pushed out to press the ball as veretout and Gana were both marking the same man on our right side where arnautovic made his run from and one of them should of tracked him instead of both marking one player.

Exactly. Gana has previous in not tracking his man yet gets off scot free. It's the CB's fault that we concede though, nobody else's. It's absolutely **** mental that we're even having this conversation.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

While Ashley could have been in a better position, that's a secondary problem to the positioning of the centre backs. They would and should have stopped the goal whereas others could have.

• Like 2

The only way I can see anybody watch that goal and say 'Westwood is directly culpable' for that goal, is if they have an agenda beforehand.

It's just not worth entertaining. Anyone with half a brain can see that it's the CB's positioning that causes the space to open up and the goal to happen.

Anything else is scapegoating and looking for any reason to blame a player.

• Like 3