Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Im glad to see the ridiculous misconception that Westwood is quality player is finally disappearing!!

I have watched him every week for years and it has literally driven me to despair. His defenders will always point to his pass success rate and claim him to be the next scholes, but look at how many assists or defence splitting balls he completes, those stats are very poor. He is safe, he offers nothing and as such it puts a huge amount of pressure on the other players in the midfield.

Now i wanted to point out a few issues that may have gone un-noticed, as over the last few months, Sanchez has been getting dogs abuse and I really feel it is due to him being left carrying all the water due to Westwoods defensive deficiencies.

As many have pointed out, Westwood cannot play in a two man midfield. This is simply due to the fact  that in a 3 man midfield, you can play safe and the team can carry you somewhat. In a two, it is a disaster.

Now Westwood was rightly highlighted in the leicester disaster last week, when it was all falling apart he was out of position and left Sanchez cruelly exposed.

Yesterday I pointed out several issues to those around me. On multiple occasions, there was a high ball which Westwood had ZERO chance of even arriving in time to challenge for. In those posiitons you should sit in and look to win the second ball, but he doesnt. He charges towards it, the baggies player simply headed it seconds before he arrived into the huge gaping hole that Westwood had left behind, and once again they started a counter attack with 3 on 1 in the middle against Sanchez.

Also, when he is 'marking' every time his man drifts onto his shoulder, Westwood lets him wander in behind him. Its as if he thinks if I cant see them, then surely they are not my responsibility. It is ridiculous how many goals we have conceded when Westwoods man has drifted off him into the box unmarked.

Then there is his strength. How many times did an albion player drift past him like he was a child yesterday? My dad came along with me yesterday, he isnt a villa fan and as a neutral he made a comment about Westwood when Fletcher walzted past him and drew a good save from Guzan. He likened it to watching a 60 year old make token challenge on the 21 year old at indoor five a side!

His set pieces. Do I really need to say anymore?

He came from League 1. He has somehow managed to secure a premier league spot due to being part of one of the worst villa squads in living memory and playing in a formation (midfield 3) where he can hide and rely on this age of ridiculous opta stats. He is not Premier League quality. i have bit my tongue for so long as some of the idiots on here will just quote bloody opta stats at you to shout me down, but now I see the tide turning against Sanchez (a proven player of international quality) I cannot stay silent any longer.

If the fans hound out Sanchez and not Westwood, I GIVE UP

(btw, this is not me saying Sanchez is playing well. He is out of form, but it is made all the more difficult for him when he is playing alongside Westwood. He has looked much better with Gana alongside him).

Sadly I cannot see Timmy dropping him anytime soon as he seems as blind as Lambert

Great post. Fully agree.

Unfortunately, some on here will defend him regardless. I doubt they agree with what they type, just want to avoid being shown up.

The sooner he is out the team, the better.

• Like 2

I've never rated Westwood he's just bang average at best.

Yesterday he was so frustrating to watch but then I say the same almost every time I see him play.

As for his corners and free kicks it must be some club in joke, I'd think the only one who could do a worse job would be Guzan!

He must be like Pirlo in training when it comes to free kicks and corners. 

Seriously though, his delivery has been pretty woeful this season (outside of the Bournemouth game). I think it's time to get someone else on set pieces. Grealish took a few decent corners last season so perhaps he should be on team. 

What really annoys me is the lack of variation in our set pieces. This is obviously more one for the Sherwood thread, as it's presumably not Westwood's decision to always float them in, but we really need to mix it up more. 

Im glad to see the ridiculous misconception that Westwood is quality player is finally disappearing!!

I have watched him every week for years and it has literally driven me to despair. His defenders will always point to his pass success rate and claim him to be the next scholes, but look at how many assists or defence splitting balls he completes, those stats are very poor. He is safe, he offers nothing and as such it puts a huge amount of pressure on the other players in the midfield.

Now i wanted to point out a few issues that may have gone un-noticed, as over the last few months, Sanchez has been getting dogs abuse and I really feel it is due to him being left carrying all the water due to Westwoods defensive deficiencies.

As many have pointed out, Westwood cannot play in a two man midfield. This is simply due to the fact  that in a 3 man midfield, you can play safe and the team can carry you somewhat. In a two, it is a disaster.

Now Westwood was rightly highlighted in the leicester disaster last week, when it was all falling apart he was out of position and left Sanchez cruelly exposed.

Yesterday I pointed out several issues to those around me. On multiple occasions, there was a high ball which Westwood had ZERO chance of even arriving in time to challenge for. In those posiitons you should sit in and look to win the second ball, but he doesnt. He charges towards it, the baggies player simply headed it seconds before he arrived into the huge gaping hole that Westwood had left behind, and once again they started a counter attack with 3 on 1 in the middle against Sanchez.

Also, when he is 'marking' every time his man drifts onto his shoulder, Westwood lets him wander in behind him. Its as if he thinks if I cant see them, then surely they are not my responsibility. It is ridiculous how many goals we have conceded when Westwoods man has drifted off him into the box unmarked.

Then there is his strength. How many times did an albion player drift past him like he was a child yesterday? My dad came along with me yesterday, he isnt a villa fan and as a neutral he made a comment about Westwood when Fletcher walzted past him and drew a good save from Guzan. He likened it to watching a 60 year old make token challenge on the 21 year old at indoor five a side!

His set pieces. Do I really need to say anymore?

He came from League 1. He has somehow managed to secure a premier league spot due to being part of one of the worst villa squads in living memory and playing in a formation (midfield 3) where he can hide and rely on this age of ridiculous opta stats. He is not Premier League quality. i have bit my tongue for so long as some of the idiots on here will just quote bloody opta stats at you to shout me down, but now I see the tide turning against Sanchez (a proven player of international quality) I cannot stay silent any longer.

If the fans hound out Sanchez and not Westwood, I GIVE UP

(btw, this is not me saying Sanchez is playing well. He is out of form, but it is made all the more difficult for him when he is playing alongside Westwood. He has looked much better with Gana alongside him).

Sadly I cannot see Timmy dropping him anytime soon as he seems as blind as Lambert

Great post. Fully agree.

Unfortunately, some on here will defend him regardless. I doubt they agree with what they type, just want to avoid being shown up.

The sooner he is out the team, the better.

I'm well aware that you're posting to get a reaction, but I'm going to bite anyway. Most people who like Westwood have said that he wasn't very good against Albion or Leicester. It's possible to rate a player despite two below par performances.  If there is anyone desperate not to be shown up, it is you. "See, he had a couple of bad games, he's shit I was right!!"

It's childish, it's pathetic and it's incorrect. Maybe you're right, maybe Westwood is the cancer that is destroying our club from the inside, it's fine to have your opinion, but there is no need for snide comments like that as though you're some sort of football genius who has been proved correct, it's embarrassing. 

As I said, taking some time off.

• Like 2

Hmmm. I like westwood i really do but the past few games hes been very poor. 

I dont think its a "he cant play in a midfield 2", i just dont think he can play when sanchez is in the team. Imo, hes best played as a DLP and he hasnt been played like that this season. Dont think he can do the further midfielder of the 2 CM's very well. Dont think hes good enough taking the ball from our half into their half like delph/gana  do and give that midfield drive. And sanchez occupies the space in the spaces that westwood is good at.

So i guess it depends if you want:
a) sanchez whos better at tackling but derps a ton with his passes when hes playing as the deepest midfielder
or
b] Westwood whos much weaker than sanchez and cant tackle aswell, but will never lose possession 

My 2c

With Gil and Grealish as (much better) playmakers, it's a no brainer for me that Sanchez should be there. 

Agreed, although improving Sanchez's stamina has to be a major priority right now. 

• Like 1

He doesn't work next to Sanchez, they both do the same job and it restricts our forward movement. One or the other - not both.

i don't think they do the same job, Sanchez can actually protect the defence and tackle players. Westwood does very little and has been the worst player on the pitch the last two games.

He doesn't work next to Sanchez, they both do the same job and it restricts our forward movement. One or the other - not both.

i don't think they do the same job, Sanchez can actually protect the defence and tackle players. Westwood does very little and has been the worst player on the pitch the last two games.

Sinclair played in both of those games.....

• Like 1

They fill the same position on the pitch.

Sinclair played in both of those games.....

Sinclair actually played alright before being substituted against Leicester. I agree he was poor yesterday. For me, if you were looking at players who were poor in both games, you'd be looking at Westood, Lescott and Amavi. There are a number of others who were poor in one game, of which Sinclair is one.