Ashley Westwood

Nabby

He doesn't work next to Sanchez, they both do the same job and it restricts our forward movement. One or the other - not both.

i don't think they do the same job, Sanchez can actually protect the defence and tackle players. Westwood does very little and has been the worst player on the pitch the last two games.

Sinclair played in both of those games.....

Sinclair actually played alright before being substituted against Leicester. I agree he was poor yesterday. For me, if you were looking at players who were poor in both games, you'd be looking at Westood, Lescott and Amavi. There are a number of others who were poor in one game, of which Sinclair is one. 

Disagree on Sinclair. Poor in both games IMO.

poor on their goal - he had no clue where he was meant to be positionally when amavi got beat. he got attracted to the ball instead of covering the top of the box, ambled out when it was fed to morrison and then turned his back on the shot. Compare that to Yacob when he took one in the nuts to block Gils shot, which was probably a better chance.

Almost a non-existent player against WBA, I had a pitch-side view of the match and watched him carefully as I know he divides opinion. 

A poor tackler, often telegraphing his passes and he missed a very good chance to score.

Maybe away from home he might be a useful player to keep possession of the ball but he doesn't do enough for me.

Im glad to see the ridiculous misconception that Westwood is quality player is finally disappearing!!

I have watched him every week for years and it has literally driven me to despair. His defenders will always point to his pass success rate and claim him to be the next scholes, but look at how many assists or defence splitting balls he completes, those stats are very poor. He is safe, he offers nothing and as such it puts a huge amount of pressure on the other players in the midfield.

Now i wanted to point out a few issues that may have gone un-noticed, as over the last few months, Sanchez has been getting dogs abuse and I really feel it is due to him being left carrying all the water due to Westwoods defensive deficiencies.

As many have pointed out, Westwood cannot play in a two man midfield. This is simply due to the fact  that in a 3 man midfield, you can play safe and the team can carry you somewhat. In a two, it is a disaster.

Now Westwood was rightly highlighted in the leicester disaster last week, when it was all falling apart he was out of position and left Sanchez cruelly exposed.

Yesterday I pointed out several issues to those around me. On multiple occasions, there was a high ball which Westwood had ZERO chance of even arriving in time to challenge for. In those posiitons you should sit in and look to win the second ball, but he doesnt. He charges towards it, the baggies player simply headed it seconds before he arrived into the huge gaping hole that Westwood had left behind, and once again they started a counter attack with 3 on 1 in the middle against Sanchez.

Also, when he is 'marking' every time his man drifts onto his shoulder, Westwood lets him wander in behind him. Its as if he thinks if I cant see them, then surely they are not my responsibility. It is ridiculous how many goals we have conceded when Westwoods man has drifted off him into the box unmarked.

Then there is his strength. How many times did an albion player drift past him like he was a child yesterday? My dad came along with me yesterday, he isnt a villa fan and as a neutral he made a comment about Westwood when Fletcher walzted past him and drew a good save from Guzan. He likened it to watching a 60 year old make token challenge on the 21 year old at indoor five a side!

His set pieces. Do I really need to say anymore?

He came from League 1. He has somehow managed to secure a premier league spot due to being part of one of the worst villa squads in living memory and playing in a formation (midfield 3) where he can hide and rely on this age of ridiculous opta stats. He is not Premier League quality. i have bit my tongue for so long as some of the idiots on here will just quote bloody opta stats at you to shout me down, but now I see the tide turning against Sanchez (a proven player of international quality) I cannot stay silent any longer.

If the fans hound out Sanchez and not Westwood, I GIVE UP

(btw, this is not me saying Sanchez is playing well. He is out of form, but it is made all the more difficult for him when he is playing alongside Westwood. He has looked much better with Gana alongside him).

Sadly I cannot see Timmy dropping him anytime soon as he seems as blind as Lambert

Brave Post..... Brilliant summing up of a situation that I totally endorse......I don't want to assasinate the lad but watch the amount of times he gets rolled, he                     is a clear and present danger.....He is  not a DM in the intended sense.

Edited by TRO

better with the ball than without it.

He simply can't defend and has little effect on the offensive.....what he does do well is too limited in this modern game to keep his place.

• Like 1

How could Sherwood think that it'd be possible to survive a premier league game with a midfield two of Westwood and Sanchez? Forget about how rated each of them is, fact is neither of them has the engine to play that role ad it's not even close. How could our ex-midfielder coach cannot see that? How could you start 5 midfielders and have a 30 yard gap in the middle of the field ffs? Tony Pullis must have been laughing his ass off when he saw that. 

Edited by BG_Villa_Fan

I have always been happy to defend Westwood (without resorting to Opta stats) on account of him working hard to improve as a player, but after three years here he needs to be doing better than he is at the moment. Looks like he will stay in the team since Gana's injury is worse than it seemed. 

He is a better player than the last few games suggest.

He simply can't defend and has little effect on the offensive.....what he does do well is too limited in this modern game to keep his place.

People seem keen to point out this "little effect on the offensive".  It's just wrong.  Westwood provides the link between defence and attack.  Most of our goals this season show that.

He's too weak in challenges but so is Sanchez.  That's our midfield issue - together, they do very little to protect the defence.

He is not a defensive midfielder, never has been and he had probably his worst game for us on Saturday. We need to get back to 3 in midfield as it was working fine and Westwood was playing good in a more advanced midfield role and had a good balance with Gana.

The problem isn't Westwood specifically. It's a midfield two of Westwood and Sanchez.

In a two, Westwood isn't good enough. We've all known that for 2 years.

I agree with this entirely and also ramshacklers detailed post earlier.

We are currently desperate and frankly haven't been the same in midfield since Milner left (he was literally like having two players). Our midfield has the guile in Grealish and Gil, and Adama will add some impetus too, but we need Gana back with Sanchez performing in Midfield. The games they have played together (in a central 3 with Westwood) we have looked competitive except when the midlfield three was substituted leaving a midfield central two, one of who was Westwood. We have been over run in midfield in the games where we have had a midfield two including Westwood.

Given Sanchez international credentials and track record for fine midfield performances for his country he should surely supplant Westwood when Gana returns? (I will admit I though Sanchez was off colour and off the pace against Leicester.) 

People seem keen to point out this "little effect on the offensive".  It's just wrong.  Westwood provides the link between defence and attack.  Most of our goals this season show that.

He's too weak in challenges but so is Sanchez.  That's our midfield issue - together, they do very little to protect the defence.

Sanchez is not perfect by any stretch.....but he does have presence and power in the challenge....he gets caught in possession and struggles a bit with his control.....but you don't have the individual accolades he gets with colombia being poor....he has a poor defensive partner.

Also when has Westwood  last scored .....our midfielders should be scoring more.....if he can't defend and can't score what can he do....play pretty patterns.....He is far too passive.

Sanchez is not perfect by any stretch.....but he does have presence and power in the challenge, I disagree that he is weak.....he gets caught in possession and struggles a bit with his control granted .....but you don't have the individual accolades he gets with colombia being poor....he has a poor defensive partner.

Also when has Westwood  last scored .....our midfielders should be scoring more.....if he can't defend and can't score what can he do....play pretty patterns.....He is far too passive.

He is not a defensive midfielder, never has been and he had probably his worst game for us on Saturday. We need to get back to 3 in midfield as it was working fine and Westwood was playing good in a more advanced midfield role and had a good balance with Gana.

I agree he is not a Defensive midfielder but that where he tends to play.....He hasn't the guile to play as a schemer......so what is he.

Limited in my view......much like Bacuna, He can't defend either, but don't bring much to the offensive side.

I agree he is not a Defensive midfielder but thats where he tends to play.....He hasn't the guile to play as a schemer......so what is he?

Limited in my view......much like Bacuna, He can't defend either, but don't bring much to the offensive side either

Edited by TRO

The problem isn't Westwood specifically. It's a midfield two of Westwood and Sanchez.

In a two, Westwood isn't good enough. We've all known that for 2 years.

To be fair Steve..... in a 2 not many are good enough.....you would have to have exceptional players to do that supported by a solid defence and an effervescent forward line who work like trojans.

I seen Giles and Bremner do it successfully but they had a great Leeds team around them