Ashley Westwood

Nabby

He is not a defensive midfielder, never has been and he had probably his worst game for us on Saturday. We need to get back to 3 in midfield as it was working fine and Westwood was playing good in a more advanced midfield role and had a good balance with Gana.

I agree he is not a Defensive midfielder but that where he tends to play.....He hasn't the guile to play as a schemer......so what is he.

Limited in my view......much like Bacuna, He can't defend either, but don't bring much to the offensive side.

He was in the top 10 in the league for key passes after 4 games so he contributes plenty when playing in a 3 and a more advanced role, he was also getting decent enough interceptions and blocks in as well as covering a lot of ground in those games. He needs to play infront of a holding player.

My Understanding is that Westwood & Sanchez are not really playing in a 2

It is 4-2-3-1

They are there to protect the back four

In times of difficulty or when we are on the back foot one out of the 3 comes back to help out.....when we are in the ascendency they reform the 3 and leave the 2 DM'S

You could argue in that formation we have 5 Midfielders and one forward.....not 2

It still does not detract from the fact that in any formation you cannot afford passengers.....We have had too many passengers under too many managers for too long

From week to week it can vary as to who they are....right now Westwood is struggling along with a few others.

I don't think it would make much difference what formation you play even 1-10......its what they are doing individually that contributes to the team effort is what the prime issue is IMO

Edited by TRO

Lol he has had 1 bad game and I'd argue that the passenger's are further up the pitch such as Grealish and Sinclair, especially Grealish who hasnt put the effort in when the other team gave the ball. Westwood had a bad game vs Wba but he still made 5 tackles, 4 interceptions and had more touches than any other player so not the stats of a passenger, he just had a bad game is all.

You play certain formations to accommodate top players. For example benteke.

You certainly don't choose a formation to suit players like westwood who don't really effect the game.

Terrible logic. You play players in the formation that suits them or don't play them at all. What's the point of shoehorning a player into a formation that they struggle in and then acting surprised when he doesn't perform?

Sherwood is doing neither, that's the problem. He's playing a formation that doesn't suit Westwood, yet still playing Westwood.

I agree that we shouldn't be basing our formations around Ashley Westwood. But if we're playing a formation that he clearly can't cope with, why is he on the pitch?

If Sherwood wants to play him, or any other player, he needs to make sure they can play in the formation he's picked.

• Like 4

You play certain formations to accommodate top players. For example benteke.

You certainly don't choose a formation to suit players like westwood who don't really effect the game.

Terrible logic. You play players in the formation that suits them or don't play them at all. What's the point of shoehorning a player into a formation that they struggle in and then acting surprised when he doesn't perform?

How is it a terrible logic? You've pretty much agreed with what I have said only I haven't gone onto say - he really shouldn't be picked - tho that's an issue regarding tim sherwood rather than ashley westwood.

I'm quite astonished (more than ever) how he has been so highly rated by some,  yet his limitations as a midfielder are glaringly obvious and in some cases, supporters have recognised this for some time.

Westwood only works in a three IMO, Doesn't have the mobility to play in a two for Villa. We turnover possession too easily to be relying on only two central midfielders to retrieve it as in general we lack mobility in that position which is why I don't think its necessarily a problem exclusive to Westwood, but more so us trying to fit other players further forward into the team.

If he is playing he needs Sanchez and Gana alongside him and from what I've seen of Veretout I wouldn't trust him alongside Westwood either.

Personally I think we need to accept that its a 4-3-2-1 that we need to play whether that means the two ahead of the midfield are wide players (Traore, Sinclair) or floating behind the striker (Grealish, Gil).

Would like to see a midfield of

-- Gana --- Veretout --

------ Westwood -------

With Westwood rotating with Sanchez depending on the game, he's not good enough for the box to box role.

Would like to see a midfield with no Westwood. He's painfully average.

• Like 1

Worked well with Veretout in the second half, especially as Clark wasn't throwing balls over their head ALL the **** time.

Clark is not a midfielder.

Tim has seen 'Clarky' play midfield a million times for Villa apparently. 

• Like 1

Worked well with Veretout in the second half, especially as Clark wasn't throwing balls over their head ALL the **** time.

Clark is not a midfielder.

Tim has seen 'Clarky' play midfield a million times for Villa apparently. 

And that is no exaggeration.:)

• Like 1