Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Ye to think hes just doing it because he wants to and "somebody needs to tell him to stop doing it" is pretty silly. He probably likes taking corners that way and sees some theory behind it. Probably discussed it with sherwood (or whoever is corner coaching staff) and they saw merit to it aswell. Probably works a lot more on training ground as i imagine it isnt as physical as in an actual game and theyre just trying to perfect it on the pitch.

I just don't think Westwood and Sanchez can play in the same team. Both want to play the holding role.  Sanchez is better at breaking up play and Westwood is better at starting attacks.  I don't mind Westwood in attacking positions so he can play balls through like he did for Gabby early on.  However, he is never going to be a box to box player in the same mould as Gueye. One thing is for sure both of them can only play if they are in a 3 man midfield.

Our best midfield this season has been Westwood and Gana playing infront of Sanchez, I dunno why Sherwood didn't try and replicate this set up when he was making subs to make us more solid and changing to a familiar set up would of helped the players. Veretout or Richardson could of come into the midfield.

I just don't think Westwood and Sanchez can play in the same team. Both want to play the holding role.  Sanchez is better at breaking up play and Westwood is better at starting attacks.  I don't mind Westwood in attacking positions so he can play balls through like he did for Gabby early on.  However, he is never going to be a box to box player in the same mould as Gueye. One thing is for sure both of them can only play if they are in a 3 man midfield.

He didn't play that ball to Gabby mind, it was Gil.

His game is much better when we are in the ascendency.... When there is a call to dig in and battle he tends to go missing.

Lightweight for me and with that you will get inconsistency

I think they can play together, just not as a midfield two. 

He didn't play that ball to Gabby mind, it was Gil.

There was a clever through ball for Gabby with the outside of the right boot in the first 20 mins or so that was 100% Westwood, I assume that's is the one mentioned.

Yup that was the one

Why does he still float them then?

If they're that ineffective and he's doing them by his own accord, then why is he still doing them?

Maybe in his mind he thinks they are good.  Somebody has to tell them they arent.

But like I said earlier, why hasn't anyone told him?

He's had two managers and two sets of coaching staff who could have told him. Or they could have gotten someone else to take the corners.

He's also had god knows how many teammates who could take them instead, or who need to get on the end of them.

I'm telling you, I bet nobody at the club thinks they're a problem. 

I'm on your side, i think they are crap. But I can't see how he'd still be taking them, and taking them the way he is, if people had a problem with it.

Yep, agree with this. Of course every aspect of the game will be analysed by the coaching staff afterwards, it's not like he's spent three and a bit seasons floating corners and no-one has got around to discussing it yet. This is one of those situations where the coaching staff think one thing and the fans another. The obvious - and almost certainly correct - answer in this situation is to say 'well they're the professionals, I'm sure they know what they're up to'.

But I can't leave it alone. They just seem crap to me. Hey ho. 

Why does he still float them then?

If they're that ineffective and he's doing them by his own accord, then why is he still doing them?

Maybe in his mind he thinks they are good.  Somebody has to tell them they arent.

But like I said earlier, why hasn't anyone told him?

He's had two managers and two sets of coaching staff who could have told him. Or they could have gotten someone else to take the corners.

He's also had god knows how many teammates who could take them instead, or who need to get on the end of them.

I'm telling you, I bet nobody at the club thinks they're a problem. 

I'm on your side, i think they are crap. But I can't see how he'd still be taking them, and taking them the way he is, if people had a problem with it.

Yep, agree with this. Of course every aspect of the game will be analysed by the coaching staff afterwards, it's not like he's spent three and a bit seasons floating corners and no-one has got around to discussing it yet. This is one of those situations where the coaching staff think one thing and the fans another. The obvious - and almost certainly correct - answer in this situation is to say 'well they're the professionals, I'm sure they know what they're up to'.

But I can't leave it alone. They just seem crap to me. Hey ho. 

Tbh no Villa player has put in consistently good corners and set pieces generally since Ashley Young left. You might not like the guy but his corners were class.

After watching Neville's and Carragher's analysis of Westwood's performance, I really don't think Westwood can work with that formation we used. He left Sanchez exposed so often, and was trying to play a #10 role. Gana-Sanchez for me. Then Sanchez can be subbed off for Westwood or Veretout. 

• Like 1

After watching Neville's and Carragher's analysis of Westwood's performance, I really don't think Westwood can work with that formation we used. He left Sanchez exposed so often, and was trying to play a #10 role. Gana-Sanchez for me. Then Sanchez can be subbed off for Westwood or Veretout. 

Where did you watch it? I would like to see it. 

Where did you watch it? I would like to see it. 

https://youtu.be/6tzSH0-0Xhg?t=331

• Like 2

He never has adequately fulfilled his defensive duties and it's amazing it's taken this long for it to be picked up by any analyst. His reading of play in the defensive phases is non-existant and that trait is inherent.

I think sir, you are spot on.

I think he is much better with the ball than looking for it....for me he has a tendency to not favour the physical challenge or getting close to the opposition.                            The problem then is you are leaving too much work to the one who does.

Edited by TRO