Ashley Westwood

Nabby

He does read the game well.

He didn't play too well against Leicester (although he was decent enough for 60 minutes, and then capitulated, just like a lot of the team).

Most players don't play well every single week. 

• Like 1

:rolleyes: no, they really don't. 

Like I said to Isa earlier, just because Carragher and Neville analysed a bad game that Westwood had, doesn't mean he plays like that every game. If he did, then why has it taken them 3 years to come up with this sort of analysis?

Anyway, I didn't realise it was you who'd made the original post, otherwise I wouldn't have replied. So let's agree to disagree as usual.

:rolleyes: no, they really don't. 

Like I said to Isa earlier, just because Carragher and Neville analysed a bad game that Westwood had, doesn't mean he plays like that every game. If he did, then why has it taken them 3 years to come up with this sort of analysis?

Anyway, I didn't realise it was you who'd made the original post, otherwise I wouldn't have replied. So let's agree to disagree 

I never said he played like that every game. I merely Said that that showed he clearly has some issues with reading the game.

I take it you want to agree to disagree to carry on this nonsense about me being impossible to debate with as I never change my mind. (Tho I still argue that a person changing his mind doesn't necessarily make a debate good).

However, Id notice you'd either missed or failed to acknowledge that over the last week or so I've openly said that I have no issue with westwood or the midfield atm and that it's other areas we need to be concerned about. Your prerogative of course, but really not sure why your still clearly clinging to something I said donkeys years ago.

Nothing to do with you not changing your mind. It's to do with you admitting you are overly critical of Westwood. How can you have a debate with someone who admits to not giving his real view? It's verging on PFE.

I have no problem with people thinking Westwood is crap. They're wrong, but that's fine, even if they never change their mind.

The issue I have is with someone who admits that they're not giving a true opinion of him. TO me debating with that person is pointless.

Don't take it personally. I'd just prefer to not fill the thread with yet more bickering when it's utterly pointless. We'll just agree to disagree and save everybody the trouble.

Nothing to do with you not changing your mind. It's to do with you admitting you are overly critical of Westwood. How can you have a debate with someone who admits to not giving his real view? It's verging on PFE.

I have no problem with people thinking Westwood is crap. They're wrong, but that's fine, even if they never change their mind.

The issue I have is with someone who admits that they're not giving a true opinion of him. TO me debating with that person is pointless.

Don't take it personally. I'd just prefer to not fill the thread with yet more bickering when it's utterly pointless. We'll just agree to disagree and save everybody the trouble.

Such a bizarre stance tho.

Firstly, at least if I've openly admitted to acknowledging I've been a bit over critical, that's me saying - do you know what, perhaps I'm not all right with regards this. 

Secondly, having acknowledge that I've been over critical, I then haven't continued to be over critical. Since then and it was 2 seasons ago, I think my opinion of westwood has been fair and true, if not correct in other people's minds. I acknowledge when he's been poor and good for example.

Not sure why I'm defending myself because i haven't taken it personally nor do I need to. 

I just find it utterly bizarre that you've read me acknowledging my unfair critique of westwood, as a sign I'm going to be unfair for the rest of time. If anything it points to the complete opposite imo.

You're still unfair to him, so little has changed.

It's fine, that's your prerogative. I'm not saying you can't be like that. I'm just saying I see no point in trying to debate with somebody who is like that.
I'm just explaining why I can't be bothered to annoy everyone else with pages of pointless debate.

Definitely saw the good and bad of him against Leicester.

For 45 minutes he was very good, his midfield were available his passing was purposeful and he moved Leicester around nicely. As the second half started Leicester came at us, Westwood had less space, fewer options and no out ball due to a fairly stagnant attack. It reminded me of when we play Arsenal, where we turn over possession by clearing or dwelling in fear.

It looked concerning but certain players were finding positions to move us forward and relieve some pressure....storm weather time....we just had to get through this without conceding. 

Suddenly we score a second, but Tim makes a change which caused us to go further into Arsenal mode, sitting back in panic/counter. We went for power over technique. I turned to my flatmate and reiterated the point made after 5 mins of the second half, 'we'll be lucky to get a point today.'

And so it was, the middle of the park had little going forward, or time to support an attack. Any midfield movement was closed well but when passes did go forward they instinctively ended up going backwards, or to fullbacks who were now out of position. Just before Leicester scored the second we had a chance to go forward, but we went back and the next moment we had to scramble to defend. It was a genuinely good chance a technical attacker would've been able to support. Instead we had Ayew.

This is where the worst of Westwood comes out, his team is under pressure, his supporting midfielders are struggling to keep the ball, wide players on the opposition are dancing through us (great tactical switch by the tinkerman) and everything in their half is being swamped. Attackers are making runs but there's no early pass. Someone, perhaps the most experienced Prem player with a good long pass and defensive role needs to orchestrate the right pass to skip midfield and open a pressing (sometimes very high) Leicester. 

Westwood is often compared to Carrick, they have similar natural attributes, but Carrick is much smarter, he finds that pressure relieving pass and has a picture of others movement well before he gets the ball. He's special and he passes early or creates space instantly for the pass he already knows is on. Westwood does sometimes show this but he doesn't see/make that pass enough and so he ends up frustrating. Against Leicester we needed him to come out of his shell, and we will again. However he continues to be a soft enforcer and inconstant pass master we won't be progressing too much with him around and he will waste some great potential.

ashley_westwood_v_claudio_yacob_head_to_

This has changed my whole opinion on him.

I shouldn't have bothered watching him the last 3 years now I know he's attempted 13 assists.

Class player.

What a pathetic response. AshVilla hasn't even offered an opinion on this, he just posted a picture that I'm assuming he thought was relevant to the upcoming game.

No need to be so **** patronising.

• Like 3

I'm not Westwood's biggest fan he's an average player who's job is not to set the world on fire when he plays

But as said above i posted the pic because it was relevant to the upcoming fixture in the players thread but with the recent sniping on here recently i expected nothing less than a patronizing response bravo