Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Westwood is neat and tidy with the ball, but I feel that is biggest weakness is his positional sense - he just seems to completely lose his man at times.

Definitely not our worst player yesterday by any means, but a disappointing game for him none the less.

• Like 1

He never has adequately fulfilled his defensive duties and it's amazing it's taken this long for it to be picked up by any analyst. His reading of play in the defensive phases is non-existant and that trait is inherent.

• Like 3

Anyone else just watch Neville and Carragher dissect where it all went wrong for us on their MNF gadget thing?

I never noticed it watching live on TV yesterday, but they showed how Westwood was making crazy runs forward at 1-2, leaving a 50 yard gap between himself and Sanchez. He was acting like a number 10 running where Grealish should have been, despite having 2 forwards up top. We were wide open good analysis really, we knew it was bad but Westwood showed no discipline and you see Lescott saying something to him probably stay back and protect the back 4 with Sanchez :/

Is there anywhere I can watch this? I'd like to see it. 

I'd like to see their analysis. I posted something similar in the relegation thread today.  Gil, Grealish Sinclair were run ragged in the second half and they could not cope. My reading was that Westward kept pushing up to help the three and our 4-2-3 often looked like 4-1-4, but the four was weak defensively. Put a lot of pressure on our back four and the rest is history.  

Edited by Gary Thomas

They are both in ignorance about the legendary 'unseen work' evidently.  

Or, and stay with me here, they're analysing one particular game and not every game Westwood has ever played.

Well, quite. My angle was he is guilty of such in most games but it is mitigated in the eyes of many via flimsy buzz terms as included. But nevermind.

I think Neville was spot on in his analysis and I said the same on here yesterday.

Smug face.

Sherwood should have changed the shape to help them all out but Westwood made it doubly worse with his really advanced positioning when he should have been locked to Sanchez side protecting the back four from Mahrez.

That would be a more legitimate point if people were defending his performance yesterday. I don't see many people doing that.

Neville and Carragher are making good points. But Westwood doesn't play like that every week. Indeed, he didn't play like that for a lot of yesterday's game. He just capitulated with everybody else.

edit: @Isa

Edited by Stevo985

It's obvious why he kept making those runs, Sherwood wanted us to go and get a third goal hence why he made attacking substitutions and Westwood would of been under orders to get up when we had the ball and offer support. If players like Grealish, Sinclair and Ayew tracked back better or if Sherwood made some defensive/midfield changes and changed the shape then we wouldnt of been so exposed time after time.

Average today. Certainly not the worst in our team.

The corners thing, clearly he's told to float them.

I dont buy that, he done the same under Lambert and people used the same excuse for him that he was told to.  No manager in their right mind would tell him to do that, we never score from corners and dont even look like scoring.  He has to be pulled from doing them.  Its went on for far to many years.

I dont buy that, he done the same under Lambert and people used the same excuse for him that he was told to.  No manager in their right mind would tell him to do that, we never score from corners and dont even look like scoring.  He has to be pulled from doing them.  Its went on for far to many years.

You sure we never score from them?

Why does he still float them then?

If they're that ineffective and he's doing them by his own accord, then why is he still doing them?

Maybe in his mind he thinks they are good.  Somebody has to tell them they arent.

How thick do you think he is?

Honestly. You'd have to be seriously stupid to keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results. Or maybe he is just?

Well now you're being pedantic.  I would like to see our chances created from corners compared to other teams.  Arsenal probably have a high percentage from balls put into the box

Why does he still float them then?

If they're that ineffective and he's doing them by his own accord, then why is he still doing them?

Maybe in his mind he thinks they are good.  Somebody has to tell them they arent.

But like I said earlier, why hasn't anyone told him?

He's had two managers and two sets of coaching staff who could have told him. Or they could have gotten someone else to take the corners.

He's also had god knows how many teammates who could take them instead, or who need to get on the end of them.

I'm telling you, I bet nobody at the club thinks they're a problem. 

I'm on your side, i think they are crap. But I can't see how he'd still be taking them, and taking them the way he is, if people had a problem with it.

• Like 1

Average today. Certainly not the worst in our team.The corners thing, clearly he's told to float them.

Well now you're being pedantic.  I would like to see our chances created from corners compared to other teams.  Arsenal probably have a high percentage from balls put into the box

Lol we scored vs Bournemouth and our second goal came from a corner vs Leicester. We should be mixing it up more with our corner routines but Westwoods corners have led to goals already this season so aren't worthless.