Ashley Westwood

Nabby

It's a shame he's not physical enough to play a true defensive role but perhaps that's a bit of a blessing for his international chances.

For England we've always had some sort of deeper sitting passer, Scholes and Carrick for example, and actually we don't have many younger players who do this but It does come naturally to Westwood.

Perhaps Huddlestone but Westwood is probably the better player and so maybe he'll get a shot when Carrick finishes and he's impressed some more....with Delph in and and an easy qualification group he might get a shot this year....I think he''s good enough and fits a position we need for tactical balance.

As a team we need to retain the ball better, all of the team.

The midfield had a better balance yday than at any other time last year, and i think Richardson contributes greatly to that as well.With Sanchez coming into the team, i think we are going to see quite a bit of rotation in the midfield.

I'm not over convinced about Westwood but i like his attitude to the game.His corners, and partic his free kicks were very good yday, and he has obviously worked at his game.Competition is good for a team, and an improving Westwood will benefit us.

• Like 1

As a team we need to retain the ball better, all of the team.

The midfield had a better balance yday than at any other time last year, and i think Richardson contributes greatly to that as well.With Sanchez coming into the team, i think we are going to see quite a bit of rotation in the midfield.

I'm not over convinced about Westwood but i like his attitude to the game.His corners, and partic his free kicks were very good yday, and he has obviously worked at his game.Competition is good for a team, and an improving Westwood will benefit us.

Thats a bit more positive about Westwood Rotterdam1982  :)

It's a shame he's not physical enough to play a true defensive role but perhaps that's a bit of a blessing for his international chances.

For England we've always had some sort of deeper sitting passer, Scholes and Carrick for example, and actually we don't have many younger players who do this but It does come naturally to Westwood.

Perhaps Huddlestone but Westwood is probably the better player and so maybe he'll get a shot when Carrick finishes and he's impressed some more....with Delph in and and an easy qualification group he might get a shot this year....I think he''s good enough and fits a position we need for tactical balance.

Honestly, with the system that Hodgson was playing it shoulda been Huddlestone starting in the position that Wilshere did in the match against the Swiss. Huddlestone is still the superior player I'd say, but hopefully by the end of the season Westwood will have totally changed my mind.

Honestly, with the system that Hodgson was playing it shoulda been Huddlestone starting in the position that Wilshere did in the match against the Swiss. Huddlestone is still the superior player I'd say, but hopefully by the end of the season Westwood will have totally changed my mind.

Huddlestone has no movement. He's an outdated player, he would have been too quality 20 years ago, but you need movement, which is why Hull probably is his level.

Plenty of media outlets suggesting Westwood could be a choice for England soon.

I guess it's still mental to mention it though!

(also, Lambert called him "Westy". Delphino must be going mad)

• Like 1

If Cleverly works out for us, we could have the future England midfield all playing together, all playing for us.

That's pretty good work.

If Cleverly works out for us, we could have the future England midfield all playing together, all playing for us.

That's pretty good work.

I think that's ambitious.

I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest that those 3 may all be in the squad at some point in their villa careers (not necessarily at the same time).

But they won't be THE England midfield, if that's what you were getting out.

• Like 1

That's pretty good work.

I think that's ambitious.

I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest that those 3 may all be in the squad at some point in their villa careers (not necessarily at the same time).

But they won't be THE England midfield, if that's what you were getting out.

You're right.  We need to sign Barkley too.

• Like 1

I'm not. He knows the guy, therefore has given his friend a nickname.

You don't know him so it's a bit cringe. You post on an internet message board.

That ok, Steviekins?

Edited by Delphinho123

That ok, Steviekins?

I don't call him Westy, but thanks for your concern.

Players' nicknames get used ALL the time on this Internet message board.

Gabby, "delphino" ;) , Goose, Tony Moon, The Rock, Zog, Tekkers, Lambo, God, Big John, JPA, DJ, Bakes, Keano, Andi, Bozzie, Sid, Pongo, Tayls, Deano etc etc etc. These are all ones that have been used on here and amongst all Villa fans, all the time.

Why have you got such a problem with one person calling Westwood "Westy"?

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 4

I have to admit I'm starting to change my opinion of him. I thought he was decent but was someone we could replace. I think he's started the season in top form and I hope the competition for places and delphs call up to the national squad continue to help him keep this level up.

I have to admit I'm starting to change my opinion of him. I thought he was decent but was someone we could replace. I think he's started the season in top form and I hope the competition for places and delphs call up to the national squad continue to help him keep this level up.

Agreed.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9471596/aston-villas-ashley-westwood-backed-for-england-call-by-paul-lambert

“Westy’s a very clever player,” he told reporters. “He goes unnoticed, but it’s up to the England manager.

“It was the same with Fabian Delph who got a chance and didn’t let anyone down.

“For the two years I’ve been here Ashley has been so consistent and a lad that doesn’t get talked about because he makes the game look so easy at times.”

That ok, Steviekins?

Why have you got such a problem with one person calling Westwood "Westy"?

Any answer?