Ashley Westwood

Nabby

You see I don't really buy that. I saw that with Barry and Petrov (when people were slagging them) but with Westwood I don't see it - he doesn't have enough presence at the moment. He hasn't learnt the skill that the aforementioned had, that is to say that he hasn't worked out how to stick his arse out to shield the ball and switch the play.

• Like 1

He can be brushed aside too easily to be the player that some think he is....true he has some deft touches and there are times he plays people in very well....but he lacks an all round game and presence is missing....he has times when he is a bit nondescript.

He just has to improve and fight for his place.

That is the only way the team can improve....no more guaranteed places.

I'd agree that a player has to improve and fight for their place... If they weren't playing at a high standard already.

Perhaps I'm just looking for a little bit more from him than you are?

But we should be looking for improvement even when they are playing at a high standard

You can' t rest on your laurels in this league.....standing still is drifting backwards.

Edited by TRO

You see I don't really buy that. I saw that with Barry and Petrov (when people were slagging them) but with Westwood I don't see it - he doesn't have enough presence at the moment. He hasn't learnt the skill that the aforementioned had, that is to say that he hasn't worked out how to stick his arse out to shield the ball and switch the play.

he is 24, when Barry was 24 he was a struggling left winger and Petrov was playing in the mighty SPL

• Like 1

Not sure why his place would be under threat ?  I see a midfield that accommodates him and delph,  sanchez,  cleverley 

It isn't or at least not in my opinion it isn't, Westood will remain in the side I'm certain.

Me too,  just surprised to see some on here thinking he is at risk

Not sure why his place would be under threat ?  I see a midfield that accommodates him and delph,  sanchez,  cleverley 

It isn't or at least not in my opinion it isn't, Westood will remain in the side I'm certain.

Me too,  just surprised to see some on here thinking he is at risk

I can kind of understand why. We've just signed two midfielders, something or someone has to give to make way for them or at least you would expect so.

Some will pick Westwood as the likely victim either down to their view of him as a player as many don't rate him or because he seems the most likely from a tactical perspective in their view.

Personally I think we will see a 4 man midfield of Delph, Westwood, Cleverley and Sanchez in a 4-4-2 but with a diamond structure rather than wide players returning to a more orthodox two up front especially as and when one or both of the big guys return.

Personally I love the diamond when used with the right players.  With Hutton and Cissokho we should have two full backs who can get forward.  The danger with the diamond is the lack of width if your back 4 get stuck playing in a line.  I know most will choose Cleverly to be at the head of that diamond but I would like to see Westwood there and Cleverly on the right.

Personally I love the diamond when used with the right players.  With Hutton and Cissokho we should have two full backs who can get forward.  The danger with the diamond is the lack of width if your back 4 get stuck playing in a line.  I know most will choose Cleverly to be at the head of that diamond but I would like to see Westwood there and Cleverly on the right.

I agree with you on all of that except the last part, for me it would be Cleverley as the most advanced player but it is nice have options at last.

How? Diamond?

Diamond,  or 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-2-1 I'm sure they can be accommodated either

Yeah that makes sense. For me, it all depends on the opposition. I'd like us to change things around depending on who we're playing.

This weekend I wouldn't play Westwood, not because I don't ratre him, but I think against this Liverpool team a lot of energy is needed, so would have Sanchez sitting deep and man marking Sterling, and have Bacuna and Delph in the middle, with Cleverley ahead of them.

But games where we're expected to have a lot of the ball like against Hull for example, Westwood would be the first name on the teamsheet.

Edited by PieFacE