Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Plenty of media outlets suggesting Westwood could be a choice for England soon.

I guess it's still mental to mention it though!

(also, Lambert called him "Westy". Delphino must be going mad)

If Cleverly works out for us, we could have the future England midfield all playing together, all playing for us.

That's pretty good work.

Once upon a time AKA...

Downing---Barry---Milner---Young

Plenty of media outlets suggesting Westwood could be a choice for England soon.

I guess it's still mental to mention it though!

(also, Lambert called him "Westy". Delphino must be going mad)

I'm not. He knows the guy, therefore has given his friend a nickname.

You don't know him so it's a bit cringe. You post on an internet message board.

That ok, Steviekins?

Why have you got such a problem with one person calling Westwood "Westy"?

Any answer?

Hellloooooo?

I think despite his upturn in form the last couple of games, it would be way too early for an England call up. Delph showed good form for a good 2 years before his call up and even then I was shocked that it came. We will learn a lot from the next few games about the whole team, but if we have a midfield that can all potentially play for England then they should be able to control possession in games more often. Were quite a way from that I feel.

Be surprised if he ever gets an England call-up. He's not a bad player by any stretch of the imagination but I think he definitely lacks the quality of an international CM - I can't see an outstanding skill of his.

There doesn't need to be one, this is England! :)

But seriously, there doesn't actually need to be one Carrick is a prime example of that but he was an important player and picked up plenty of caps. 

Personally I think Westwood is one of Lambert's best signings all things considered and I'm confident he will get an opportunity with England at some stage.

There doesn't need to be one, this is England! :)

But seriously, there doesn't actually need to be one Carrick is a prime example of that but he was an important player and picked up plenty of caps. 

Personally I think Westwood is one of Lambert's best signings all things considered and I'm confident he will get an opportunity with England at some stage.

Lambert certainly rates him. We have seen Helenius, Tonev, Bannan, Holman and KEA come and go under Lambert and during their stay Westwood was more or less an ever-present in the first team.

I would say that Carrick's all-round play is his outstanding skill - not only his he a very good passer of the ball, he's defensively very solid too.

And i'd say the same about Westwood, that was kind of my point. I'm not saying that he is as good as Carrick, Carrick was an excellent midfielder just illustrating that it is possible to play international football as a midfielder without a single outstanding element of your game. I'm not sure you can say someones all round game is their outstanding skill though :) but I know what you mean.

I would say that Carrick's all-round play is his outstanding skill - not only his he a very good passer of the ball, he's defensively very solid too.

And i'd say the same about Westwood, that was kind of my point. I'm not saying that he is as good as Carrick, Carrick was an excellent midfielder just illustrating that it is possible to play international football as a midfielder without a single outstanding element of your game. I'm not sure you can say someones all round game is their outstanding skill though :) but I know what you mean.

You see, I wouldn't - he's not defensively solid, nor is he a big threat in the final third (yet). He's getting better though and is learning all the time - Carrick's what? Almost ten years older than him, so there's plenty of time for him to get better and he does seem to be improving.

You see, I wouldn't - he's not defensively solid, nor is he a big threat in the final third (yet). He's getting better though and is learning all the time - Carrick's what? Almost ten years older than him, so there's plenty of time for him to get better and he does seem to be improving.

Carrick has never been any kind of a threat in the final 3rd.

I'm not saying he is as good as Carrick or will ever be, Carrick is a has been massively under rated in this country by many in my view, I just used him as he was the first example that came to mind.

On the basis of today, I'd go as far to say that anybody who doesn't rate him doesn't have any sort of clue about football. Huge for us.

Yep! He is the rock in our midfield, a leader and is fantastic on the ball.

As we have said for weeks. Shame it takes a defeat to show it. :(