Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Have to say you miss my point though.We need a creative midfielder in the team, you think Westwood can be that player, i have my doubts.

I said that?

He's creative, but he's not a number 10. He's creative in the same way Pirlo is and he's not a number 10 (I'm not comparing him to Pirlo ability wise before you inevitably say I am)

I accept that you rate him Stefan, and i appreciate that, but apart from the pass to Gabby against Norwich, i am struggling to think of that many passes that he has done like that to set up goals.

I object to the talking up of him that makes him sound like the new Merse, hes nowhere near that standard, and thats the kind of player we need in our team now.We have the "water carriers" of Delph and Sanchez, we now need a good footballer, a no 10 if you like to play alongside him, imho that is not Westwood.

If you actually paid attention during the past 2 seasons you would have some idea as to how good Westwoods passing is!  Why are you comparing him to Merson?  Haha... Wasn't it you who was bigging up Joe Bennett after he went on loan last week?, kinda says it all in regards to your judgement on our players.

Edited by Bunnski

The created chances results are pointless. Every long ball to Benteke/Kozak that they head towards goal is a 'chance' I think.

Im sure Downing has created the most chances over the last 4 years or something, mainly due to aiming at Andy Carroll.

We had Bannan who played a lot of risky passes and he got hated for it.

Well he barely had a half a season to aim at both of them due to them being injured so one might say that his chances created was even more impressive when you consider what he was left having to aim passes at.. 

Interesting comment by Gary Neville yday watching the Sland vs Ure game, he said that not enough Utd players are making a risky pass, they are looking for the safe pass all the time, it means they keep the ball, have high stats, but don't hurt the opposition.

The best pass on sat was by Sanchez, for us to get higher we need a player who can make passes that hurt the opposition.In 2 years of watching Westwood, i'm not sure he has the ability to do that, too many "safe" passes imho.

That's why I never take the "stats" side of the argument seriously. Westwood's passing is easy and simple but rarely attempts the "killer pass" so it's no wonder his statistics always look good. In my opinion he gets pushed off the ball far too easily and creates very little. I file him with the likes of Lowton and Bennett and the sooner he follows that pair out the door the better. Hopefully Sanchez will be his replacement and be the start of Villa having a midfield that befits a club like Aston Villa.

• Like 1

Entitlement, entitlement, entitlement.

If Westwood's name was Westwoodio and came from the Italian league and became one of the key players in our team for the last 2 seasons for 800k, you wouldn't be spouting this nonsense. 

• Like 1

Apart from the numerous assists in the 2 years right? Westwood is the most likely to make the risky pass in our midfield. He had a good game, so you're finding yet something else to criticise him for.

Take a break.

Just out of interest how many league assists has Westwood supplied over the last 2 seasons?

8 assists, 3 goals. Top passing percentage.

Not bad for a relegation battling team.

I hate your 'not good enough for a team like Aston Villa' spiele as well. It's just bitter and self-entitled.

Westwood almost costed us the game saturday. It's things like that why i would prefer KEA. More reliable imo.

Really? One mistake (which was unfortunate) after having a good game means KEA is more reliable? Total codswallop.
Edited by StefanAVFC

If Westwood's name was Westwoodio and came from the Italian league and became one of the key players in our team for the last 2 seasons for 800k, you wouldn't be spouting this nonsense.

You get what you pay for in life, and "splashing out" on rubbish like Westwood is one of the reasons why we've become perennial relegation strugglers.

• Like 1

You get what you pay for in life, and "splashing out" on rubbish like Westwood is one of the reasons why we've become perennial relegation strugglers.

Interesting to note that this abuse towards Westy comes after he has a good game. He could score 10 goals and get 7 assists in a game and he still wouldn't be good enough because he came from Crewe and cost peanuts.

For me, using a price tag isn't fair to attack a player, especially one who has made as positive an impact as Westy has. I feel sad for you that you can't even appreciate one of the positives of our team at the moment, although I'm not surprised.

• Like 1

8 assists, 3 goals. Top passing percentage.

Not bad for a relegation battling team.

I hate your 'not good enough for a team like Aston Villa' spiele as well. It's just bitter and self-entitled.

Westwood almost costed us the game saturday. It's things like that why i would prefer KEA. More reliable imo.

Really? One mistake (which was unfortunate) after having a good game means KEA is more reliable? Total codswallop.

I've just had a look on two sites looking for premier league assist stats and Westwood isn't even listed. Where are you getting your info from just out of interest?

I think Westwood is one of these players that would get better with better players around him. He has by far the best first touch of any player we have and keeps the ball moving.

He's not top quality, there's is floors to his game, he gets bullied a bit to much, and lacks a bit id pace. Him and Delph are different animals. Delph looks more exciting, he has the pace, he drives forward, he takes on players. Completely different animals and I think Sanchez will realise him to do this more.

But he's been probably our 4th most important player in the last 2 years.

Interesting to note that this abuse towards Westy comes after he has a good game. He could score 10 goals and get 7 assists in a game and he still wouldn't be good enough because he came from Crewe and cost peanuts.

For me, using a price tag isn't fair to attack a player, especially one who has made as positive an impact as Westy has. I feel sad for you that you can't even appreciate one of the positives of our team at the moment, although I'm not surprised.

If he had scored 10 goals and created 7 assists we'd have an absolute star on our hands. Sadly though he hasn't and most probably never will.

By the way, one of my favourite ever Villa players was David Platt. Where did we sign him from again??

Then what a shame you can't see what Westy adds to the team. Trent put it best really.

Westwood is a far far better player than many of our fans give him credit for, shame but little point trying to change peoples views on him.

Passing percentage mid 80's. (and that isn't only playing a safe ball as many people love to state)

2nd most chances created by an Englishman in the league last year.

8 assists in 2 years (not great but not 'rubbish' as you state)

3 goals last year.

He's certainly not rubbish. Maybe I rate him too highly, but it's because I like seeing proper footballers and Westy is one of the best natural players we've got. Again, if you honestly rate him as rubbish and can't wait for him to be gone, I feel sorry for you.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 3