Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Do not think he was brilliant as some are suggesting. He was good and showed some excellent touches, but him and Delph always seem a second away from a wayward pass or diabolical clearance.

I'm pretty sure Westwood has comfortably the highest pass completion ratio in our squad, and is pretty high up in the league with that ratio.

He has his weaknesses, but misplacing passes isn't one of them.

We may have to disagree Steveo. Tbh, I watch him quite closely and I will admit (as I do not really rate him) that I watch him with perhaps more scrutiny than other players. But I know what I see and there was one incident that sticks in my mind where he hopelessly cleared the ball, about 10 yards from our penalty area. Think it may have led to the De Jong chance but not sure. 

Do not think he was brilliant as some are suggesting. He was good and showed some excellent touches, but him and Delph always seem a second away from a wayward pass or diabolical clearance.

I'm pretty sure Westwood has comfortably the highest pass completion ratio in our squad, and is pretty high up in the league with that ratio.

He has his weaknesses, but misplacing passes isn't one of them.

We may have to disagree Steveo. Tbh, I watch him quite closely and I will admit (as I do not really rate him) that I watch him with perhaps more scrutiny than other players. But I know what I see and there was one incident that sticks in my mind where he hopelessly cleared the ball, about 10 yards from our penalty area. Think it may have led to the De Jong chance but not sure.

Yeah, he failed to clear the ball and De jong had a chance. It wasn't a misplaced pass.

But even so that's one instance in 2 games.

The stats PROVE that he gives the ball away less than anyone in our team.

In fact he gives the ball away less than about 90% of players in the entire league.

You admit yourself you scrutinise him too much. So you may disagree, but in telling you what the stats prove. So it would suggest you're wrong, and you're being too hard on him.

The De Jong chance came from him not clearing it.

Against Stoke his pass completion was 71% with 4 villa players beating that and against Newcastle it was 88% with only 2 villa players beating that.

he had the highest pass completion so far, excluding the anomalies of players coming on and making like 1 pass so they have 100% record.

Interesting comment by Gary Neville yday watching the Sland vs Ure game, he said that not enough Utd players are making a risky pass, they are looking for the safe pass all the time, it means they keep the ball, have high stats, but don't hurt the opposition.

The best pass on sat was by Sanchez, for us to get higher we need a player who can make passes that hurt the opposition.In 2 years of watching Westwood, i'm not sure he has the ability to do that, too many "safe" passes imho.

• Like 1

Westwood does play the safe ball but that's what's needed at times. Even though he was excellent against Newcastle I'd still drop him for the hull game. Its a game we can win and we need to create more chances so we need an attacking player in the middle.

Apart from the numerous assists in the 2 years right? Westwood is the most likely to make the risky pass in our midfield. He had a good game, so you're finding yet something else to criticise him for.

Take a break.

I accept that you rate him Stefan, and i appreciate that, but apart from the pass to Gabby against Norwich, i am struggling to think of that many passes that he has done like that to set up goals.

I object to the talking up of him that makes him sound like the new Merse, hes nowhere near that standard, and thats the kind of player we need in our team now.We have the "water carriers" of Delph and Sanchez, we now need a good footballer, a no 10 if you like to play alongside him, imho that is not Westwood.

Am I right in thinking that there were only two English players to create more chances for others than Westwood last season

Gerrard was one, can't remember the other

Don't forget, to get assists you need two things to happen, one that is completely out of your control

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 1

Am I right in thinking that there were only two English players to create more chances for others than Westwood last season

Gerrard was one, can't remember the other

Don't forget, to get assists you need two things to happen, one that is completely out of your control

Yep,  Gerrard and Lallana were the only other English players to create more chances than Westwood last season.

• Like 1

I accept that you rate him Stefan, and i appreciate that, but apart from the pass to Gabby against Norwich, i am struggling to think of that many passes that he has done like that to set up goals.

I object to the talking up of him that makes him sound like the new Merse, hes nowhere near that standard, and thats the kind of player we need in our team now.We have the "water carriers" of Delph and Sanchez, we now need a good footballer, a no 10 if you like to play alongside him, imho that is not Westwood.

So if you rate him, you have to rate him as the new Merse? Absolute nonsense. For one, they're totally different players.

He's comfortably one of the best footballers in our side (note: I didn't say players) so your criticism is getting more and more desperate now.

Edited by StefanAVFC

The created chances results are pointless. Every long ball to Benteke/Kozak that they head towards goal is a 'chance' I think.

Im sure Downing has created the most chances over the last 4 years or something, mainly due to aiming at Andy Carroll.

We had Bannan who played a lot of risky passes and he got hated for it.