Ashley Westwood

Nabby

He himself posted replying to someone that his injury was fine and not as bad as first thought. So not sure why people on twitter were saying he was out for 3 months?

People were saying it in this very thread despite knowing he had walked off :)

Barry was a CB in a back 3 and did ok there especially for a 16 yr old. Then he played LM for years, where he was really crap, before finally moving to CM, which is where he should have been from day one IMO. He sometimes covered at LB. I think Westwood is quite similar to Barry in some ways..

Correction Barry broke into the team as an 18 year old under JG, CB (as you said) where he was good but soon found out! At the time people were talking of him being a potentially excellent ball playing CB. Then Graham Taylor took over and moved Barry to Left Midfield, byt this time he had spend a while out of the team. When DOL took over Barry established himself as our best midfielder. It was Barry and Solano's delivery from wide positions that got Angel 20 goals and a 6th place league finish. DOL briefly tried Barry out as a central midfielder but it didn't really work and we were struggling at the time. Only when MON arrived did Barry get a run of games in central midfield and the rest is history!

Con I totally agree. Personally I think our young midfielders all have talent, but they need time and they need some support. But most of all they need luck. Delph needs an injury free season. Bannan needs more support and he is a player that can make the team tick with the right players around him. Gary Gardner needs new knees.

Westwood is the safe bet! His game is simple, he plays safe, plays the percentages. But is isn't particularly outstanding in any area. What he has going for him is a 25 year olds experience as a 22 year old (thanks to his 123 games in the crewe first team) so his reading of the game once he has fully gotten used the the premier league should stand him in good stead.

What he has going for him is a 25 year olds experience as a 22 year old (thanks to his 123 games in the crewe first team) so his reading of the game once he has fully gotten used the the premier league should stand him in good stead.

Also wasn't he made captain for the last season? Has game experience and is a mature person.

Character is a very valuable asset that isn't included on a table of statistics.

He will add to team morale, team spirit, fighting spirit in a way that Bent, Ireland to name two might not.

In DOLs first season, Barry was the best left midfielder in the league. Note, midfielder, not winger. He was immense and at the time, it was a joke Sven wasn't playing him there for England, but instead trying silly things like diamonds with Scholes out wide.

----

Anyhoo, Westwood out for 3 months, big blow.

:)

In DOLs first season, Barry was the best left midfielder in the league. Note, midfielder, not winger. He was immense and at the time, it was a joke Sven wasn't playing him there for England, but instead trying silly things like diamonds with Scholes out wide.

----

Where did you get the 3 months from? I don't see anything in twitter froim Kendrick, Abraham, Nursey or AVFC.

----

I heard 6 months on twitter ;-)

I think if our younger players had been brought through the ranks the way most younger players do - with lots of experience around them, they would be thriving a lot more more than they currently are now. When Albrighton was an understudy to Downing and Young he showed his greatest potential and was able to match their crossing ability. You can imagine how good for his development it would've been training with Young and Downing every day - but now he's the only winger at the club. Training must be shite for him.

Look at how good Ireland was at City, both Westwood and Bannan would've been capable of achieving what he did there - if they'd had that chance.

Likewise Baker and Clark. Compare them to Smalling and Jones at Utd who are training with Vidic and Rio every day. If Clark and in particular Baker were in that learning environment imagine how much better they would be.

Unfortunately they're all coming through together at Villa with not too many to lead the way - to establish the standard required in the PL etc.

I think if our younger players had been brought through the ranks the way most younger players do - with lots of experience around them, they would be thriving a lot more more than they currently are now.

Unfortunately they're all coming through together at Villa with not too many to lead the way - to establish the standard required in the PL etc.

Yes I agree with you there.

Bringing on young players for shorter spells means they get through on raw energy and adrenaline, then can be taken out of the firing line for a breather.

Once you ask them to play week in and week out the inconsistencies really start to show up with their lack of experience.

I know, realise my post wasn't very clear. We missed what he brings to the team and I don't think any of our other midfielders are capable of this. Delph and Bannan are not a good CM pairing. Westwood since he has come in has done a lot of quiet work and kept us tidy whilst always looking to play the ball forward too. If we can sign another player with similar quality we should and pair them together in the middle.

I think Westwood is our best prospect in midfield and hope he recovers quickly as we could do with him on the run in - I think he and an experienced signing in the transfer window could work wonders for us as it is a weak area of the pitch for us at the minute.

our best midfielder by a mile(which is sad not that he is a bad player but that we had to sign a 3rd division player to be our best midfielder)

wonder could a Westwood Ireland Zog midfield work

At least it couldn't be any worse than Delph - Bannan duo but I'd probably rather try Westwood - Holman - N'Zogbia trio though; Westwood and Holman sitting deeper.