Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Note I said prospect. Far from the finshed article.

I don't think Sergo Busquets offers much statistically to Barcelona. Doesn' tstop him being one of the best midfielders in the world.

(and no, I'm not saying Westwood is as good as Busquets or will ever be anywhere near as good as him. But they do play a similar role, and that's an example of a player who I can't provide you with any evidence for being a very good player, yet he is excellent)

Well, you can provide me with evidence for Busquets, though you dont need to, I can see he is excellent. I can see that Carrick offers his team something.

All i can see is that Westwood is hugely ineffective. Just like the rest of the midfield.

But that's not evidence. That's as much evidence as me saying "I can see Westwood is an exciting prospect"

That's your opinion. Just because it differs to someone else's doesn't mean they're wrong because they can't provide you with "evidence" (even though by your definition of evidence they CAN :wacko: )

But that's not evidence. That's as much evidence as me saying "I can see Westwood is an exciting prospect"

That's your opinion. Just because it differs to someone else's doesn't mean they're wrong because they can't provide you with "evidence" (even though by your definition of evidence they CAN :wacko: )

But I have given more than opinion.

Opinion - I think Westwoods been poor and looks a bit out his depth. Supported by - His stats, the overall performance of the team's midfield which has been undeniably outplayed over and over again, the lack of praise he receives from experts as oppose to other Villa players who in addition are clearly performing better.

Your opinion is that I can see he is the most exciting prospect at the club. Thats a simply ridiculous statement given the presence of Benteke and Weimann. And you have nothing to support it. There is nothing to support it. That doesnt mean you cant have that opinion.

Opinion - I think Westwoods been poor and looks a bit out his depth. Supported by - His stats, the overall performance of the team's midfield which has been undeniably outplayed over and over again, the lack of praise he receives from experts as oppose to other Villa players who in addition are clearly performing better.

Your opinion is that I can see he is the most exciting prospect at the club. Thats a simply ridiculous statement given the presence of Benteke and Weimann. And you have nothing to support it. There is nothing to support it. That doesnt mean you cant have that opinion.

So to clarify, your "evidence" is:

• Stats - of which none you bring up
  • The midfield being out played - which is entirely his fault
  • Experts haven't said anything about him

Well close the books now! Obviously a done player.

I think he's a better prospect than Weimann.

I'd agree Benteke is a bigger prospect, I guess I just hadn't really classed him as a prospect to be honest. But if you are classing him as one, which is fair enough, then yes I would agree with you.

What stats are you judging him on? (genuine question)

He's got the highest interceptions per game of the midfield and comfortably the highest total interceptions (despite only starting 16 games) (the defence has higher but you would expect that from any team)

He's got the second highest amount of assists in the team despite being a deep lying midfielder.

He's got the 3rd highest pass success rate in the team (excluding Williams who only has one appearance and 6 passes so is an anomaly)

He's comfortably the most accurate "long" passer of the ball in the team.

he makes more passes per game than everyone in the team apart from Delph

he loses possession less than any other midfielder in the team.

i'd say that's a bunch of stats that reflect his position fairly well and show he's doing alright.

This for a kid who's played 16 games above League 2 level and is undoubtedly still getting used to the pace of top flight football.

Not to mention the stuff you can't have stats for. His attitude, his touch (which is excellent), his workrate.

Forgive me for thinking he might be a bit of alright!

But I guess if Robbie Savage or Mark lawrenson hasn't said anything about him he can't be that good.

So to clarify, your "evidence" is:

• Stats - of which none you bring up
  • The midfield being out played - which is entirely his fault
  • Experts haven't said anything about him

Well close the books now! Obviously a done player.

Pretty much. Though its more than most have provided when theyve banged on about how good he supposedly is - he looks comfortable on the ball is about as far as they have got, apart from Steveo just now whos post is good (and I will reply to it in full - as soon as I come up with more bullshit  ;) ).

What interests me KWAN, is why you think Im trying to provide evidence that Westwood is a player who is definately not good enough?? That isnt my stance at all. I think he has been poor (no poorer than most I might add) and this debate came about because I felt people were making ridiculous comments such as 'hes absolutely class' that were seemingly based on nothing. And all i did was ask for some reasoning behind these opinions? That is all really

I think the burden of reasoning is more on the people who are saying he is going to be quality than those questioning it - given our current form in which the midfield has been completely outplayed. And no its not his entire fault (Im not sure where you got that from) but he has played a part of it no doubt. He has hardly grabbed it by the scruff of the neck and been the stand out player in any games as he? That would be an undoubted sign of potential. All i seem to see him do is coast through games.

In a season of incredible shiteness he has been a bright spark and something to look forward to until he gets better than we deserve which is probably at the end of next season. We should be encouraged by that and look for positives, not spend our time trying to convince ourselves that he isn't very good

• Like 1

In a season of incredible shiteness he has been a bright spark and something to look forward to until he gets better than we deserve which is probably at the end of next season. We should be encouraged by that and look for positives, not spend our time trying to convince ourselves that he isn't very good

I agree.  When a player moves up a couple of leagues and finds himself in a team which is playing poorly, with little confidence or leadership, that's tough.  He's coped well, as well as anyone could reasonably expect.

Richard, why dont you look for the positives in Lerner?

Because you don't rate him.

ATM, I don't rate Westwood from what I have seen. So can I disagree with people who say he is class - Just like you disagree with people who differ in opinion to you with regards Lerner?

Richard, why dont you look for the positives in Lerner?

Because you don't rate him.

ATM, I don't rate Westwood from what I have seen. So can I disagree with people who say he is class - Just like you disagree with people who differ in opinion to you with regards Lerner?

difference is Lerner has been here almost six years now and has been shite for far too long. You can't compare the two , just not a valid comparison at all

considering where he has come from he has done well, but that alone is not enough.

He does the basics well and covers a lot of ground, but he needs to develop. Also he looks good because most of the players round him look awful.

Obviously I hope he develops and thrives - and there is no reason to say he won't, but he still has a long way to go.

Not convinced, nice touches at times, one or two tidy passes with little penetrative effect.

will he or won't he make it ?

Right now , too lightweight, don't boss the game, has debatable effect on the overall result, not dominant enough for me.( not sure he is built to be dominant and not his fault)

but,thats what I'm looking for in a Midfielder.

sorry if I'm expecting too much.

I don't think he should be starting each match. He has potential but I don't think he is good enough at the moment. Problem is all our other options are pretty awful. We need more options next season if we stay up. If we go down, our midfield will be fine.

I don't think he should be starting each match. He has potential but I don't think he is good enough at the moment. Problem is all our other options are pretty awful. We need more options next season if we stay up. If we go down, our midfield will be fine.

I disagree - I think the midfields our weakest department and will be in the championship.

I think he will do quite well at championship level next season.  

He may well (if we go down of course). I dont think I have seen him do anything to convince me he is any better than someone like Richie Wellens though - whos a half decent champ player.