Ashley Westwood

Nabby

30 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I thought he played well today. He needs to be the quiet one getting on with it in the midfield, but with our other options the onus is on him to be the superstar when it's just not his gig.

what is his gig?

23 minutes ago, commander said:

Jees there's a few of you that not only thought he did 'OK', or well, someone had him down as Man Of The Match. You have to be joking. The whole team were abysmal today but apart from Ayew they all tried apart from this fruad who bottled out of every tackle.  

Maybe you have a look at the job description of a defensive midfielder.

5 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

what is his gig?

Intercepting the opposition and laying it off to nearby teammates.

Personally, I'd sell him as I think the last few seasons have taken their toll and he's not going to reach his potential here, and maybe anywhere else.  Nonetheless, I think the current set up doesn't give him the chance to make the most of what he is capable of.

3 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Intercepting the opposition and laying it off to nearby teammates.

Personally, I'd sell him as I think the last few seasons have taken their toll and he's not going to reach his potential here, and maybe anywhere else.  Nonetheless, I think the current set up doesn't give him the chance to make the most of what he is capable of.

L2 ?

33 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

For the people saying he did well  tonight go look at some footage of Ian Taylor, Andy Townsend, Gareth Barry, to name a few that have played in midfield for Aston Villa in the 20 odd years I'm following them, then give your head a wobble. This fella wouldn't of got a sniff in those teams. We had some good midfielders at this club. Westwood will never be one. 

I hate to burst your bubble, but we are a long way from that team now!!  Thought he did OK tonight, he isn't brilliant but is no way as bad as some on here make out.

• Like 1

He was perfectly decent tonight. Made some decent passes and a very nice through ball at the end, made a terrible cross and then busted a gut to get back and put a good challenge in. 

Not going on any highlights DVD's but that was far from 'abysmal'. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

For the people saying he did well  tonight go look at some footage of Ian Taylor, Andy Townsend, Gareth Barry, to name a few that have played in midfield for Aston Villa in the 20 odd years I'm following them, then give your head a wobble. This fella wouldn't of got a sniff in those teams. We had some good midfielders at this club. Westwood will never be one. 

That's a huge leap of logic to go from 'he did well' to 'one of our best midfielders in our history'.

It's no wonder he can't win with some fans when these are the ridiculous standards he has to live up to for people to even admit he had a good game :crylaugh:

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, macandally said:

I hate to burst your bubble, but we are a long way from that team now!!  Thought he did OK tonight, he isn't brilliant but is no way as bad as some on here make out.

Bubble has being burst a long time with this team. If you think he was "ok" that's your opinion, I just remember us having a much higher calibre of   player in our midfield to which we should aspire to have again. He can't cut it. He won't improve. Not good enough for Aston Villa.

• Like 1

One of his better games in a while. A lot worse on the pitch than him tonight, and I'm usually one to criticise him. Think he does get some unfair criticism in the stands, there was someone today shouting stuff like "for god sake Westwood press", when it was the complete opposite side of the pitch and bacuna who should have been pressing

3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

One of his better games in a while. A lot worse on the pitch than him tonight, and I'm usually one to criticise him. Think he does get some unfair criticism in the stands, there was someone today shouting stuff like "for god sake Westwood press", when it was the complete opposite side of the pitch and bacuna who should have been pressing

:blink:

Anyone confusing the two of them really should have gone to Specsavers. 

Mind you, there are some complete idiots at the ground. I was sat near to two gentlemen on the front row of the Upper Doug tonight who moaned constantly, and whose moans had absolutely no relation to observable reality on the pitch. 

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Decent performance tonight.

We need better in our midfield though. 

Exactly, so sell him nowwhile his stock is sky high and buy some one worthy of a squad place.

Most charmed player in our squad after Agbonlahor, and one of several players where they are not so awful they get moved on but hang around filling the club up with mediocrity and prevent us from moving forward.

Edited by thunderball

10 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Bubble has being burst a long time with this team. If you think he was "ok" that's your opinion, I just remember us having a much higher calibre of   player in our midfield to which we should aspire to have again. He can't cut it. He won't improve. Not good enough for Aston Villa.

Ah f**k it then, let's all just stop supporting Aston Villa entirely until we're in and around the top 4 of the Premier League again with Big Fat Ron as Manager and McGrath, Houghton and Saunders back in the team.

• Like 1