Ashley Westwood

Nabby

The way Sherwood wants us to play will suit Westwood and I think Sanchez better as instead of a static attack they'll have runners off the ball. You can't pick a forward pass if there's no movement hence why under PL we ended up sideways all the time. Against Albion I liked the way he was sharper to the ball and in the tackle hopefully he can keep this up my main worry is his physicality against bigger and better opposition that's where Sanchez can be better but he will need time to adjust to Sherwood's tempo of game which is more English than PL's slow football. Westwood has always been a very good passer hopefully page can continue getting better.

The ball through to gabby for his chance where Foster clattered him and Lescott cleared it off the line was beautiful.

First time, on the volley, weaker foot, weighted perfectly.

Agreed. It's why it amazes me that people can say he's not a good passer of the ball. It's like people see what they want to see.

He has weaknesses, obviously. But passing is not one of them.

Yes sometimes he could do with taking a more dangerous option to try and create more. But in terms of technical passing ability I think he's the best in the squad.

This is my issue with him. He doesn't take anywhere near enough risks despite having the ability to do so. I rate his ability, I think he has an underrated physicality too as in he can handle himself fine so I don't worry about his slight frame, but generally I want to see more from him. Much more. Because he can.

It has to be said though, that its hard to make those passes when you're playing in a team so utterly devoid of movement.

It's no coincidence that Sherwood has us playing a bit more freely and getting bodies forward and suddenly Westwood is finding those passes again.

• Like 4

Well he certainly made up for it second half, was popping up all over the pitch once he was given a bit more freedom when Sanchez came on. For the second goal he headed it onto Grealish on the edge of our box and then sprinted up to get along side sinclair before he scored.

Many people talk about him ticking things over, I actually rate him. However, Sherwood said in the pre-match presser that he doesn't want players on the pitch just to do that, he wants players who can cause trouble and can do something.

Maybe that's why he went without Westy today?

I can understand TS's stance

I do like westwood too and I guess its about horses for courses.

But I also like the adage of players "affecting a game"...he is asking for responsibility, not just turning up.

He will off load his philosophies over the coming months and hopefully we will be a better team for it.

Edited by TRO

Many people talk about him ticking things over, I actually rate him. However, Sherwood said in the pre-match presser that he doesn't want players on the pitch just to do that, he wants players who can cause trouble and can do something.

Maybe that's why he went without Westy today?

I think it was a selection dilemma more than anything. Sinclair, N'Zogbia and Gabby all played well against Albion, Benteke was fit for this one. So Sherwood decided to play all of them.

Westwood played ok in the last two but in contrast to the performances of Delph and Cleverley, he was the obvious fall-guy.

The beginning of the end for Westwood as a Villa player today? Discuss.

Why does rotation and picking the best players for the best approach for each game always have to mean someone's time as a villa player is up, or they're our of favour, or something like that? How about he wasn't picked because the players that were, were rightly chosen to win the game based on the opponent

Edited by P3te
  • Like 1

It's certainly the end of his time as a guaranteed starter.

Yeah he still has a role to play. We won't be able to play that formation/players every game. It was right for today but we'd get caught out in midfield if we did it against some other sides, It's nice to have options for a change.

It's certainly the end of his time as a guaranteed starter.

I'd imagine so yes, but if you'd said a month ago Gil wouldn't be one you'd have been surprised.

Westwood remains a better player than Cleverley, so I've no doubts he'll be knocking around the team this season.