Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Will be the 1st player replaced under a new manager.

Nowhere near as good as some on here think, completely invisible on wens, granted most of our players were, but at least Delph looked as if he was trying to play.

I don't know if its wishful thinking, or just a reflection of how poor we are, that AW is constantly talked up.

The only current players good enough for AVFC, are Delph, CB , and Vlaar. Juries out on Bacuna and Okores.....thats it.

The only current players good enough for Aston Villa (let's not call us AVFC) are Benteke and Vlaar.

I think you both  have a distorted view of Aston Villa.

Edited by bose
  • Like 1

Nowhere near as good as some on here think, completely invisible on wens, granted most of our players were, but at least Delph looked as if he was trying to play.

I don't know if its wishful thinking, or just a reflection of how poor we are, that AW is constantly talked up.

The only current players good enough for AVFC, are Delph, CB , and Vlaar. Juries out on Bacuna and Okores.....thats it.

The only current players good enough for Aston Villa (let's not call us AVFC) are Benteke and Vlaar.

not even Guzan?

I think he's overrated big time but he's not the only one. He's decent and has good qualities but I think he's lower prem standard. Delph is the only midfield player good enough for getting us higher. We need a good DM and a creative am to play with delph.

Westwood would be a good squad player.

Edited by Big_John_10

Overrated and then you call him a lower prem standard player, that's higher than most here seem to rate him!

I thought he was ok last year and was hoping he would push on this year and develop in to a decent enough player, sadly hasn't happened, I think he's regressed this year

Pretty much exactly the same as lowton

I don't think Westwood is overrated or underrated but as he's not creative or skillful enough to play as attacking creative midfielder, and he isn't strong enough or good enough in defending to play as defensive mid so there won't be room for him if we get attacking mid and defensive mid to play as midfield trio with Delph.

I think you both  have a distorted view of Aston Villa.

Both players are already at the club, so not a distorted view.

He would be better in  a better quality side, if that makes sense. Still a little lightweight and sometimes plays the negative ball. I think he still has a future at Villa but perhaps not always a first team starter every week. Scored 3 goals this year which is progress.

I can understand some of the criticisms of Westwood, but I would put that more down to the role he has to play rather than his ability.

Westwood is a very good passer of the ball and can create chances, he seems to operate well in a role where he drops deep to receive the ball from the CBs and distribute further up the pitch. He's definitely our best passer, though that may not be saying much, and I personally think one of 5 players who could play for at least top half sides. The problem currently though is twofold imo:

1) Although he often drops off and makes space for himself, he's very rarely passed to and the game seems to bypass him. Personally, I don't think this is his fault, he gets into some great positions in an area where he can receive the ball with little to no pressure and can then easily pass to Delph/KEA, but the defence tend to go for the easier option of playing it to a FB or up top. If we actually used him to start our attacks, I think more people would have a higher opinion of him, but currently, people think the game bypasses him because our defence doesn't utilise him. Is this Lambert's fault or the defence? Personally, I think it's both, leaning towards the players as Vlaar, the more accomplished passer, is the defender who seems to utilise him the most.

2) He isn't great defensively. He went through a spell where he started putting himself about a bit, but he's just a bit too lightweight currently. He's almost in the enforcer/DM role of our midfielder, and he doesn't suit it. If we are to get the best out of him, we need a strong DM to sit beside/behind him just to mop up opposition attacks so he can concentrate on his passing game and creating chances. I think this also affects his overall play, he seems to shy away at times, and I think this is a confidence issue of not wanting to give the ball away because he knows he might struggle to get it back. If he didn't have that worry of getting the ball back, I think we'd see him be a bit more ambitious with his passing.

I really like him, he's not the sort of midfielder to go on mazy runs, score from 30 yards out or even put in some leg crunching tackles, but he can work very well as the pivot in the midfield and just control the tempo/play, a bit like Petrov did, without Petrov's defensive capabilities. I think he can go far, I definitely think he'll end up playing for a Top 8/10 side, he has the potential, hopefully it's with Villa.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla
  • Like 2

Could become the same type of player Barry has. He would look a lot better if he had more options in front of him instead of KEA and Delph just right next to him all the time. The way we play makes a lot of our players look poor.

• Like 2

Poor mans Joe Allen.

Does most things ok but not great at anything, still thats more than you can say of most of our other players.

He's a usefull player but he's not the kind of player you build an successfull midfield around.

Could become the same type of player Barry has. He would look a lot better if he had more options in front of him instead of KEA and Delph just right next to him all the time. The way we play makes a lot of our players look poor.

Exactly. We have a plethora of issues. Even if AW was one of them (and I like him) he's way down the blame list.

That last sentence is a very good point in that if it is the case then why purchase players who do not fit the system?

Westwood is no better than Bannan and if we are taken over I do not see him being here beyond next season.

That last sentence is a very good point in that if it is the case then why purchase players who do not fit the system?

Westwood is no better than Bannan and if we are taken over I do not see him being here beyond next season.

No better than bannan?? Ffs I think my VT days are over, I can't keep reading this kind of shit.

• Like 3

Class player and is getting better all the time, it's clear to see that he would flourish with better players around him and more options to pass to. He sets up so much of our good play and is direct and accurate with his passing. I hope he is with us for a long time to come.

• Like 3

I think him and Delph would make a very effective midfield if they just had that creative spark Merson-type player in there with them. This player is the one position we have desperately needed to sort out since Lambert took over and never have done. 

I know I'm in a minority but I think we need to play a two-pronged attack e.g Benteke AND Weimann, Benteke AND Agbonlahor, Benteke AND Kozak etc. 

For that we'd probably need an improvement on Westy to partner Delph. (Just my opinion!!)