Joe Bennett

Si.

Delighted with this signing. We have got a good player, who will get a lot better IMO. We have (probably) paid a sensible fee, with sensible wages.

We have taken the first choice LB from the 25th best team in the country. He has also been their player of the year, and is still young. For me, this is a lot better than taking the 2nd or 3rd choice LB from (say) the 8th best team in the country, given that nobody seems to be able to name which current PL reserve LB we should be signing. There may be better available in Europe, but I don't know of one, so great signing and in Lambert we trust.

This thread reads exactly like the Fabian Delph thread when we signed him. I'll just wait and see.

Good news for me then! Delphs a talent and a vocal passionate player, can only want more young ones in like him (minus injuries and played our of position.)

Excited by this. Four young attacking full backs. Can't remember ever having had that. Key for them is our skipper in waiting - Concrete Ron - coming up to speed quickly and getting the two holding CM'ers sorted out. For me the latter has to be KEA plus one of Delph or Herd with the possibility of another option coming in before the end of the window. I could also see a diamond working to release these guys given the lack of width. This will then give them the licence to push forward and fill the gaps left by our narrow wide players.

The last full back we got from Boro' - even if we did buy him a year too late - didn't do a bad job for us albeit mostly on his wrong side!

LUke Young was pretty average to be honest.

Another player in the squad who's not crippled with the scars of last season ;-)

Hopefully he'll bring the same enthusiasm Ron and KEA have brought.

Good luck Joe.

:D That could be a crucial thing.

Yep, hopefully. :)

Meanwhile, Villa wrapped up the signing of left-back Joe Bennett from Middlesbrough last night for a fee believed to be in the region of £2.5m.

The England Under-21 international has penned a four-year deal at Villa and admitted he is desperate to make his debut at Newcastle this weekend.

“I am really excited to have joined a massive club in Villa and I’m eager to fight for a starting place and get in the team,” Bennett said. “It’s up to the manager to pick the team, of course, but it would be great to go back to the north east this weekend and make my debut against Newcastle at St James’s Park. I am excited to get started.

“My priority will be to impress the manager and gain a place in the starting XI. It will be a special moment when I pull on the claret and blue shirt for the first time.

“I’m determined to earn the respect of my team-mates and the Villa supporters. I know it’s going to be really exciting here in the years ahead and I really want to play my part.”

Express and Star

The last full back we got from Boro' - even if we did buy him a year too late - didn't do a bad job for us albeit mostly on his wrong side!

LUke Young was pretty average to be honest.

.....Yet still the best full back we have had in a decade!

Good luck Joe

Â