Charles N'Zogbia

Daveburnside

I'd strongly dispute he was "one of the reasons" for the up turn in form but that is one we could debate forever.

Agreed.

He had maybe two good games.

• Like 3

I'd strongly dispute he was "one of the reasons" for the up turn in form but that is one we could debate forever.

Agreed.

Under Lambert he would come into the side for 2 or 3 games look ok or no worse than anyone else, but we would always get spanked in one game and he'd be the first player to be dropped.

Surely there is a pattern where a dire relegation haunted club is completely unable to play a purely creative midfielder who isn't a part headless chicken workhorse and fast paced enough to operate purely on the break.

It's not the entire story, but I think the fact we've had a midfield of cloggers and spent years fighting relegation is part of the reason players like Zog don't get a chance at a sustained run in the team, as unless a player instantly scores or assists and the team don't lose they get dropped.

It says something about Sherwood that his first move was to put together a team that went on the offensive, rather than be set up not to lose, and Zog was part of that. Whether he deserves to be I don't know and I don't want to argue that he has proved anything in the shirt or not had enough opportunities, just don't think he has been as bad when he has played as people make out.

Edited by VillanousOne

Agreed.

Under Lambert he would come into the side for 2 or 3 games look ok or no worse than anyone else, but we would always get spanked in one game and he'd be the first player to be dropped.

Surely there is a pattern where a dire relegation haunted club is completely unable to play a purely creative midfielder who isn't a part headless chicken workhorse and fast paced enough to operate purely on the break.

It's not the entire story, but I think the fact we've had a midfield of cloggers and spent years fighting relegation is part of the reason players like Zog don't get a chance at a sustained run in the team, as unless a player instantly scores or assists and the team don't lose they get dropped.

It says something about Sherwood that his first move was to put together a team that went on the offensive, rather than be set up not to lose, and Zog was part of that. Whether he deserves to be I don't know and I don't want to argue that he has proved anything in the shirt or not had enough opportunities, just don't think he has been as bad when he has played as people make out.

He's looked no better under Sherwood than he did under Lambert, apart from maybe two games where he was good.

It's not enough. he's never been good. Not for us, his whole career. he's never strung his form together for more than a handful of games.

he had one half a season at Wigan where he kept them up, and that's it. 

It's that peak that is the blip in his form, not the other way round.

Nothing against the guy, but he's not good enough and if we can get rid of him this summer I'd be all for it.

N'Zogbia's best times at Villa were the turn of the year in what I think was Lambert's second season (IIRC).  He scored a few goals and got a few assists and I think every single one of them, bar maybe one, directly resulted in turning a draw into a win or a loss into a draw.  The points he helped to get us during that period contributed massively towards us staying up that season when all was said and done.

That was his only purple patch in a Villa shirt and then he drifted back into obscurity.  His time has been largely wasted here.  I won't say he hasn't had the odd good game but then you'd hope someone who cost the guts of £10m would have plenty of those.  It'll be a case of thanks for very little when he does end up going and I'd hope he doesn't play a big part next season.  The role he might have played should be given to Scott Sinclair as it stands.  He is 5 times the player Zog is.

• Like 4

It's odd because I've always thought it was mentally that Zog fell short, he doesn't strike me as someone who was desperate to make the best of his ability and be a 'winner' as Tim puts it, yet he relied on him throughout. He did play a part in our turn around to be fair to him but I would be worried if long term he is a major player for us.

• Like 1

N'Zogbia's best times at Villa were the turn of the year in what I think was Lambert's second season (IIRC).  He scored a few goals and got a few assists and I think every single one of them, bar maybe one, directly resulted in turning a draw into a win or a loss into a draw.  The points he helped to get us during that period contributed massively towards us staying up that season when all was said and done.

That was his only purple patch in a Villa shirt and then he drifted back into obscurity.  His time has been largely wasted here.  I won't say he hasn't had the odd good game but then you'd hope someone who cost the guts of £10m would have plenty of those.  It'll be a case of thanks for very little when he does end up going and I'd hope he doesn't play a big part next season.  The role he might have played should be given to Scott Sinclair as it stands.  He is 5 times the player Zog is.

think that was actually lambert 1st season when he seemed to connect with Benteke and had good games at WBA, home to West Ham and think at Everton as well

Sherwood managed to get a tune out of him, but I doubt he rates him. I think he will go on a free next season to a team lower in the pecking order to us and do sod all.

Untie then, I think we will have to put up with him.

He is a decent squad player but the problem is he isnt paid a squad player salary. If he was getting paid what Richardson or Bacuna was getting paid then you would accept it

It's odd because I've always thought it was mentally that Zog fell short, he doesn't strike me as someone who was desperate to make the best of his ability and be a 'winner' as Tim puts it, yet he relied on him throughout. He did play a part in our turn around to be fair to him but I would be worried if long term he is a major player for us.

Yes, that's a good observation sharky, Sherwood did rely on him despite everyone here saying he's lazy and selfish. I wonder how he convinced Tim.

I'm really not sure where Tim stands with him now.

Yeah I found it strange that Sherwood persisted with him while public scolding unnamed others as being lazy 'losers', from what I've seen that describes him down to a tee.... 

He's just never done it for us, and I can't see that changing. Would love to see him shipped out this summer but sadly just don't see it happening.  On good money here and hasn't performed well enough to really interest anyone into bidding.

I think he is a decent depth player to have. 

We aren't really in the business of having £45k-50k a week players here in order to be 'depth players'. It's simply a waste of resources, we should be paying that for undisputed first team regulars not squad players. 

Â