Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

I really don't want to be arguing this point because I'd love to turn out to be so wrong but there is no way Swansea and west brom will do anything but crumble like dry leaves at Wigan in my opinion and I know this game tonight isn't lost cause yet but it could be very big blow to us if united turn up and turn on the style and knock 4 or 5 past us there goes our goal difference that's been catching up on Wigan and there will go our recent confidence to. Hopefully the villa team that showed up against stoke Everton and Liverpool away will show up tonight and not the one that went to Chelsea

Villa's next 4 games:

Man Utd (A)

Sunderland (H)

Norwich (A)

Chelsea (H)

Wigan's next 4 games:

Spurs (H)

West Brom (A)

Swansea (H)

Arsenal (A)

For us, those 8 games are the big ones. We need to come out of those matches with 1 point more than wigan do and we're guaranteed safety

*edit*

Purely for speculation's sake...

Round 1

Man Utd 2-0 Villa

17 Villa Pl 34 GD -26 Pts 34

18 Wigan Pl 33 Gd -23 Pts 31

Round 2

Wigan 0-2 Spurs

Villa 1-1 Sunderland

17 Villa Pl 35 GD -26 Pts 35

18 Wigan Pl 34 Gd -25 Pts 31

Round 3

West Brom 1-1 Wigan

Norwich 1-2 Villa

17 Villa Pl 36 GD -25 Pts 38

18 Wigan Pl 35 Gd -25 Pts 32

Round 4

Wigan 1-1 Swansea 

Villa 0-2 Chelsea

Arsenal 2-0 Wigan

17 Villa Pl 37 GD -27 Pts 38

18 Wigan Pl 37 Gd -27 Pts 33

Rendering the last  game meaningless

I think that's a fair assessment - okay so even if Wigan pick up wins against Swansea and Albion I still think we can go to the DW on the last day and avoid defeat. 

Their 2 easiest fixtures on paper are in the week before the cup final so maybe 4 points from those 2 games might be a little bit generous?

About right for me.

WIgan will get a maximum of 4 points from their next 4 games, taking them to 35 points. Even assuming a win against us last game of the season, they max out at 38 points.

That means we need 5 points tops to be 'safe'. I would expect 4 points minimum from the Sunderland and Norwich games. Point against Chelsea at home is certainly possible, and I wouldn't rule us out tonight just yet!

Wigan's goal difference is +1 better than ours. I would hope this would turn around a little over the next couple of games too, hence it is critical that we don't get smashed tonight.

I really think we will be safe, but it is too close for comfort.

Villa's next 4 games:

Man Utd (A)

Sunderland (H)

Norwich (A)

Chelsea (H)

Wigan's next 4 games:

Spurs (H)

West Brom (A)

Swansea (H)

Arsenal (A)

For us, those 8 games are the big ones. We need to come out of those matches with 1 point more than wigan do and we're guaranteed safety

*edit*

Purely for speculation's sake...

Round 1

Man Utd 2-0 Villa

17 Villa Pl 34 GD -26 Pts 34

18 Wigan Pl 33 Gd -23 Pts 31

Round 2

Wigan 0-2 Spurs

Villa 1-1 Sunderland

17 Villa Pl 35 GD -26 Pts 35

18 Wigan Pl 34 Gd -25 Pts 31

Round 3

West Brom 1-1 Wigan

Norwich 1-2 Villa

17 Villa Pl 36 GD -25 Pts 38

18 Wigan Pl 35 Gd -25 Pts 32

Round 4

Wigan 1-1 Swansea 

Villa 0-2 Chelsea

Arsenal 2-0 Wigan

17 Villa Pl 37 GD -27 Pts 38

18 Wigan Pl 37 Gd -27 Pts 33

Rendering the last  game meaningless

I think that's a fair assessment - okay so even if Wigan pick up wins against Swansea and Albion I still think we can go to the DW on the last day and avoid defeat. 

Their 2 easiest fixtures on paper are in the week before the cup final so maybe 4 points from those 2 games might be a little bit generous?

West brom have won one in the last six, their form has been pretty poor for a long time, Swansea have also only won one in the last six, Wigan will probably win one of those two games and get something out of the other, their other two are against Spurs and Arsenal. so like ours against Man Utd and Chelsea, probably 0 points for either of us, 1 at the most. which means as we have guessed for a while we will in all probability need at least 4 points from the Sunderland and Norwich game, Then not lose on the last day. A few games ago I though Villa could win 2 and draw 2 of their remaining games, we've achieved half of that, i still think we can get the other win and draw, but I also think we'll at least one more draw more than that.

Villa 0-3 Wigan

Villa 0-1 Southampton

Villa 1-2 Newcastle

= why we will go down.

This is my thoughts too.

That awful winter period has cost us dearly.

Think it's more the Wigan result on it's own that may be the real big one there, considering our relevant goal differences. I guess the Rodreguez dive in the Southampton game could also hurt us because of that goal difference.

Even allowing for the three games that we lost at home as mentioned above,I feel what has really killed us is not beating Fulham at home. 

However, even though I think we've probably had it now, I am so annoyed that the bookies and media now have it as a two horse race between us and Wigan - are Newcastle not only one point above, Sunderland and Stoke only three points above?   :blush:

The Cup Final is a huge distraction for Wigan. But if anyone has the experience to get themselves out of a tight corner, its them.

The balls in our own court now and the Sunderland and Norwich games have taken on a monumental importance.

We need 6 points to survive BEFORE we play Wigan. We don't want a relegation decider on the last day.

I just hope the thought of relegating 'Arry and Reading overrides Manyoo's desire to win the title tonight.

I fear not. But you never know.

Even allowing for the three games that we lost at home as mentioned above,I feel what has really killed us is not beating Fulham at home. 

However, even though I think we've probably had it now, I am so annoyed that the bookies and media now have it as a two horse race between us and Wigan - are Newcastle not only one point above, Sunderland and Stoke only three points above?   :blush:

As the games left get less 3 pts becomes more significant and its really 4 because of the goal difference, the bookies take everything into account so the odds are normally spot on.

We will lose to man utd, sunderland and chelsea.

Its all about the norwich and wigan games.

I think we will be down before the wigan game. We had our little run and the fulham draw has **** us over.

If we are all worried about Wigan, then maybe we should go down :rolleyes:

Dont dismiss the effect the Cup final will have on them because its the biggest thing that has happened to Wigan.....ever!!!

Players will not want to miss out through injury, the prestige and pressure of that final will be on their minds all the time. They are not a top six club with a big squad. That Final will engulf everything, just watch!

Edited by MagicMushroom

I hope that West Ham defeat will have knocked the stuffing out of Wigan, what's more is that Spurs emphatic win over City should also give them renewed confidence. If Spurs could go there and ship a few passed them (Defoe & Bale need to start & Adebayor should be left on the team bus), all of a sudden they are on the back of 3 straight defeats confidence dries up, this time last year Wigan were in incredible form. I think we will get something tonight to be honest.

I think we will be down before the wigan game. We had our little run and the fulham draw has **** us over.

I don't expect anything tonight, I think we can beat Sunderland and the Chelsea game  maybe a point. I think Chelsea will be the team that misses out on champions league spot

We draw with Fulham. We are ****.

Wigan lose to West Ham. Will win the rest of their games.

Sound, logical assessment.

I think even if we were to lose our next 4 games, there's a chance we wouldn't be down by the time we play Wigan.

As it is, I think we'll pick up 4 points between now and the Wigan game. 

I also think Wigan have an eye on the Cup Final, it's already happening hence their recent league form is after all poor. They've just as tough a run-in as us yet we have three more points on the board...have faith Villans!