Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Think we've gotten away with one there. Would have snatched your hand off for it to finish 3-0 at half time. 2nd half gives us something to cling onto. They slowed but we pressed and hassled well. Would start the Sunderland game with the team that finished tonight

Think we've gotten away with one there. Would have snatched your hand off for it to finish 3-0 at half time. 2nd half gives us something to cling onto. They slowed but we pressed and hassled well. Would start the Sunderland game with the team that finished tonight

Have to agree with this. Tonights result has little impact on our survival chances, in the grand scheme of things.

That suggests the experience we have been going through this season is a common event, and those wise old moderators can just look at all the times it's happened in the past and reassure us all it's going well.

I'm not sure how old you are but it's certainly the first time since I've been following Villa where we haven't gone down the '3 years then bust' model. I see us trying to achieve something genuinely different here. So no I'm not a 'wise old moderator' and I'm not even sure what being a moderator has to do with it. I'm commenting on what I can see. I see us improving. I see us doing so after a terrible start to the season and I see us doing it with signings who were almost exclusively youth that was cherry-picked from the lower levels. I believe; and have said so in the past; that Lambert is doing the 'Dortmund model' of taking young talent from the lower levels and turning it into stars rather than buying stars. It has an inherent risk to it (as we can see) and we've started it from a much weaker position than Dortmund usually do and we're still not sure it will work. But that's what I see happening. Probably partly necessitated by Lerner's M.O. of reduced spending and partly influenced by Lambert's Dortmund days and his coaching and badges achieved in Germany.

But if you read the posts I've made since posting the league table you'll see that the table is only an appendix to the main crux of my point which is that this group of talented but inexperienced players are getting better simply by playing and getting that experience.

The thing is any club that doesn't want to pay the going rate for fees or wages - comes up with some'long term plan spiel' - the reality is, with one or two exceptions, you get what you pay for. Sure every clubs picks up the odd diamond for a song, the odd starlet comes through the ranks - but these should be viewed as 'bonus' players not the whole strategy.

Biggest concern for me is chairman is hardly ever here - whatever his excuses, thats not healthy, watching MOTD at the weekend - numerous other chairman were there to support there clubs. When was Randy last at a game ? October\November ? - 

Much as we wish it weren't true - the overwhelming evidence is that Lerner has lost interest, he is no longer prepared to invest time - let alone money in Aston Villa, Until that changes, were a Nottingham Forest, Leicester type.

Have to agree with this. Tonights result has little impact on our survival chances, in the grand scheme of things.

Yes nothing has changed. We were never going to get anything at utd. Maybe 2 instead of 3 goals would have been nice but big game is next monday

As other posters have said, tonight has changed nothing. Anything out of tonight would've been a bonus.

There's not too many teams that would've stopped Man Ure tonight especially after conceding so early. We've got rid of the hardest of our fixtures and the goal difference hasn't had too much of a hammering. If Spuds can grab 3 points and a decent goal return against Wigan then we're one game closer to the end of the season and one game less for Wigan to catch us.

Next Monday's game is huge but i'm confident we'll be ok.

Looking more and more like it'll be us or Wigan. They've got a game in hand, better GD, and play us at home...not looking good right now.

They are also 3 points behind and have a tough run in with a lot of games. It's going to be tight. We need 4 points from Sunderland and Norwich I think.

Got a feeling it is Wigan's turn, thank heavens

Feckin' hope so, but the fact remains that they are serial survivors, bastards keep pulling it out of the bag somehow. Please God, not this year!!

4 points from Sunderland and Norwich will do, 6 preferably, if 4 a draw at home to a off and on Chelsea team depending which FSW side turns up. Just want to be four points ahead of Wigan going into the final game of the season. Don't fancy even being 3 ahead as our GD is worster than Wigan's and can see them maybe actually beating us at the DW.