Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

We need to beat Sunderland & Norwich and then rely on Swansea and WBA to turn up to the Wigan games. What a horrid season.

I want to put numbers to some of the ridiculous things people are posting.

So we need two wins, which will take us to 40 points, and still need to "hope" that will be enough?

For it not to be enough, Wigan would have to win three of their last five games.

Again, you didn't address anything I said. Your original point (which you post over and over and over in every thread to attention seek like a pathetic little child) was that Lambert's lower league players will relegate us. When in fact, the lower league players have been wholly positive. Are you disputing that Westwood and Lowton haven't been positive for us?

I'm not talking about the 'squad' as a whole so your question is irrelevant. I'm talking about the lower league players. Which you so kindly keep bringing up.

I'll just throw this in here again.  The six weeks of hell from late December to early February:

Chelsea away 0 - 8 (L)
Spurs home 0 - 4 (L)
Wigan home 0 - 3 (L)
Swansea away 2 - 2 (D)
Ipswich home 2 -1 (W)
Bradford away 1 - 3 (L)

Southampton home 0-1 (L)
West Brom away 2 -2 (D)
Bradford home 2 - 1 , 3-4 on aggregate (L) 
Millwall away 1-2 (L)

Newcastle home 1-2 (L)

Everton away 3-3 (D)

There are four cup games in that run which I have crossed out because they have no effect on our league standing, but the results and performances were an indication of our lack of quality and fighting spirit.  

Just for the league games though our form looked like this:

P8 W0 D3 L5 F8 A25 GD-17 Pts3. 

The three draws were points dropped too, we conceded injury time equalisers to Swansea and Everton and blew a two goal lead against West Brom. 

It's the worst run of results I have known in over twenty years as a Villa fan.  The home defeats to our immediate rivals in the table in Wigan, Southampton and Newcastle could still prove to be disastrous.  If we go down then that run of results is a huge part of the equation. 

**edit**

L 2 spell. 

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

Yes, but I'm presuming the majority of people who post on here actually go down and that negativity resonates throughout Villa Park. It's a horrible place to play football I presume because our fans are shit.

Because they've been doing it all year John, yourself included.

I do think some of Lambert's signings have been an issue. However, using the 'lower league' argument is a complete nonsense, because his signings from the lower leagues have made more of a positive impact on this season than his signings from abroad (Benteke withstanding) and the players already here. Don't let that stop you from completely twisting my words though.

Yep. I have been saying it for two years. Our home record is not a coincidence. We have the reputation of having the worst, most miserable fans in the league, and I have seen nothing in my years of supporting to say any differently.

• Like 2

Lambert's lower league players will relegate us. When in fact, the lower league players have been wholly positive.

Well considering 2 are part of an abysmal defence i'd say they are playing a part in our relegation battle.

Westwood has done well and Bowery has done little to contribute during this season.

If the manager and his signings aren't to blame where's the problem?

Those results without context show no fighting spirit, but against Everton and Swansea, we fought to gain the draws we did and were extremely unlucky not to get wins from those. Swansea, especially when we getting battered at the start, then we turned it around. 

Even against Newcastle after the abject 1st half, we did enough to get a point in the 2nd and probably deserved more. The problem was the 3 games around Christmas. 

Yes, but I'm presuming the majority of people who post on here actually go down and that negativity resonates throughout Villa Park. It's a horrible place to play football I presume because our fans are shit.

Sounds like someone on their high horse again.

You're making an assumption and you've called our fan base shit.

Haha

Our HOME FANS are shit. Note I didn't say 'fans' or called our entire 'fan base' shit. Can you please stop twisting my words? You're doing it every time you quote me and it's against site rules. Thanks :)

And our home fans aren't great. It's nervy all the time at Villa Park, and goes quiet even when we're drawing. If you went down you'd see that and know that I'm not just spouting an opinion based on nothing.

Raymond said the same but you're not jumping on him.

Lambert's lower league players will relegate us. When in fact, the lower league players have been wholly positive.

Well considering 2 are part of an abysmal defence i'd say they are playing a part in our relegation battle.

Westwood has done well and Bowery has done little to contribute during this season.

If the manager and his signings aren't to blame where's the problem?

Must be a nightmare for you when you're driving and get to a roundabout.

But again, how much difference does that actually make?  If the volume of your home support was so important then why have Portsmouth just been relegated to division four league two while Manchester United sit ten points clear at the top of the Premier League? 

• Like 2

Well considering 2 are part of an abysmal defence i'd say they are playing a part in our relegation battle.Westwood has done well and Bowery has done little to contribute during this season.If the manager and his signings aren't to blame where's the problem?

Must be a nightmare for you when you're driving and get to a roundabout.

Hilarious.

If you went down you'd see that

Been there the last 12 years thanks.

Are these the same shit fans that not once have turned on this manager or who stand at 19 minutes every game to support a player?

I don't know where you sit but people have been turning on Lambert by me for a while. And fans near me even started booing our own players. The fact that a few people have said the same shows that it isn't just near me.

Using the Petrov thing is completely irrelevant. OF COURSE we'd do that. That isn't a measure of whether or not we're good fans. And anyway I was talking about how negative and nervy VP gets when the crowd should be making as much noise to get behind the players. Liverpool especially was a dreadful atmosphere.

Rev, because Portsmouth have an extremely weak squad due to financial restraints? Home support makes a difference, but when your squad is made up of youth team players and players who aren't even being paid, it can't make a difference. Same with United for the opposite reason.

With us, the quality is there, but I feel like the players need the confidence and playing in front of a loud, positive crowd gives you that. If there's 30 odd thousand people booing your every touch, or going 'oooohhhhh' when somebody makes a mistake then of course it's going to have a negative effect. I don't see how that can be disputed.

• Like 1

If there's 30 odd thousand people booing your every touch

Has this actually happened?

I don't see how that can be disputed

So you won't blame lambert or his signings but you've got no issue with laying the blame on our home fans?

Ridiculous.

Rev, because Portsmouth have an extremely weak squad due to financial restraints? Home support makes a difference, but when your squad is made up of youth team players and players who aren't even being paid, it can't make a difference. Same with United for the opposite reason.

With us, the quality is there, but I feel like the players need the confidence and playing in front of a loud, positive crowd gives you that. If there's 30 odd thousand people booing your every touch, or going 'oooohhhhh' when somebody makes a mistake then of course it's going to have a negative effect. I don't see how that can be disputed.

We have a weak squad due to financial restraints too.  We are where we deserve to be and the crowd tend to be quiet because the team have given them very little to sing about for three years.  

• Like 1

Again, stop plucking out bits of my post to make your argument stronger. I mentioned earlier in my post that people booed players after they'd made a mistake. Clark after Man City's goal, Bennett after QPR's first goal. Why would I mention it if it didn't happen?

Secondly,

THAT ISN'T MY **** POINT. STOP PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH AND TWISTING EVERYTHING I'M SAYING.

I disputed that signing lower league players was the reason we're down here, then in the SAME post I said the players he signed from abroad (Benteke withstanding) and the players he already has are to blame. I even **** said that outright. Lambert has to take a portion of the blame because of his stubbornness and tactical naivety. The players have to take a portion of the blame because a fair few have under-performed. Please tell me where I've blamed our home fans. Because I never even implied they're to blame for us going down. I said Villa Park isn't a nice place to play football this year because of our home fans. We look a different team away from home because we play without the shackles of a home crowd.

I feel like there's no point debating with you, because I'll post a long comment explaining my reasoning and you'll pluck out a bit from a middle of a sentence and completely twist my words.

We have a weak squad due to financial restraints too.  We are where we deserve to be and the crowd tend to be quiet because the team have given them very little to sing about for three years.  

Haven't you just disputed your point? Portsmouth have financial issues and a weak squad yet still turn up every week and sing. The problem with VP is that we'll go 1-0 up and everything will be great. They'll equalise and everyone will just go silent and become hugely nervous. When the game is level, we should be pushing the team on, not anticipating the other team scoring.

Our home form has been pretty dire for years, VP just isn't a fortress it should be but there's such a huge sense of expectation amongst the fans that we should be winning alot more at home than we do, and there lies the problem when 30 odd thousand pay hard earnt money and expect to turn up to see us beat the likes of fulham, wigan norwich and the other mid table jobers when we just choke. The fans play a part in what happens on the pitch, when you get behind the team it lifts the players but to blame the atmosphere for our current predicement is wrong

Edited by Jimzk5

When did I solely blame the home fans for where we are? I said that home atmosphere makes a huge difference and our fans are home just aren't great, for reasons I've stated numerous times.

I don't recall our home fans being shit years ago and there is no reason to believe that those fans have suddenly turned shit.

What has turned shit is our home form and our season upon season performances and 3 consecutive seasons of fighting relegation is enough to turn any clubs fans into manic depressives.

Certain posters on here should stop laying the blame for our **** up owner and his succession of **** up appointments at the feet of our very loyal support (nearly 40,000 for a team struggling around the relegation zone again!).

Again, please point me to where I've blamed the fans. BG10 stated that I blamed the fans and called our entire fan-base shit so it must be true right? I've blamed numerous factors for our demise this year, not least PL's tactical naivety and consistent underperformance of the players. Randy Lerner screwed up last year without a doubt, but last summer, I feel like it was PL's tactic to buy the players he did and RL has happy to facilitate that. However in January when we needed reinforcing, the money was obviously not there so the blame lies at RL's feet.

We had 42,000 there against Liverpool and the atmosphere was dire.

• Like 1