Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

You keep making out that I've said that the fans are the reason we're going down. I just haven't said this so stop saying it.

You've said our home fans are shit and that the home support can make a huge difference. Does this view not lay some of the blame on our fans?

I fear tomorrow's game more than I was before today. Surely the Premier League trophy will be at Old Trafford seeing as they are at home and can win the league tomorrow? If so, I fear a 3 or 4 goal drubbing :(

The problem is not the home fans, the problem is what is happening on the pitch and that is caused by what has happened to Mr Lerner. 

You have a fearful team that is not quite good enough and often a passive and nervous atmosphere at VP.

That is why we get more points away from VP. 

• Like 2

I think the home fans are a problem and have been for quite a while now. Far too quick to get on the players' backs if things aren't going well, either that or they go eerily quiet.

I think out of all the problems at this club the home fans who go week in week out are certainly near the bottom of the list.

I think under McLeish it was a problem - home and away by the end - the fans hated him and it wasn't helping.

This season I think for the most part there's been an awful lot for us to be proud of - the 19th minute thing, the way the fanbase has stuck behind the team and the manager during tough times, particularly in that run before christmas and the general air of patience. 

Numbers have been good in recent weeks too and if we can stay up, there's a feeling I think that we're on the right path - if we are, then that patience will have been justified and I don't believe will be forgotten by players or manager.

• Like 2

I think under McLeish it was a problem - home and away by the end - the fans hated him and it wasn't helping.

This season I think for the most part there's been an awful lot for us to be proud of - the 19th minute thing, the way the fanbase has stuck behind the team and the manager during tough times, particularly in that run before christmas and the general air of patience. 

Numbers have been good in recent weeks too and if we can stay up, there's a feeling I think that we're on the right path - if we are, then that patience will have been justified and I don't believe will be forgotten by players or manager.

100% agreed that the numbers have been great and that was never my point. For reasons stated by Briny_Ear, the atmosphere needs to get back to how it used to be. Last year it was directed at McLeish but this year it seems to be aimed at the players. It's really weird that we can get 42k against Liverpool and create so little atmosphere.

I think the home fans are a problem and have been for quite a while now. Far too quick to get on the players' backs if things aren't going well, either that or they go eerily quiet.

Terribly misguided post.

The fans at villa park, despite having to endure some terrible stuff this season (again), have been absolutely superb.

The fans have been the highlight this season .

100% agreed that the numbers have been great and that was never my point. For reasons stated by Briny_Ear, the atmosphere needs to get back to how it used to be. Last year it was directed at McLeish but this year it seems to be aimed at the players. It's really weird that we can get 42k against Liverpool and create so little atmosphere.

Has it happened that much? I don't really see how the fans have contributed to our issues this season.

During our awful Xmas period it would have been very easy for fans to get on the teams back but they really didn't.

In the recent game against QPR the fans were brilliant.

I just don't see them as a problem.

I read a few pages ago that the fans were a big reason why we are in a relegation battle...

Apparently.

Im sorry my defending has been shit in games, but im usually pissed and queing for a pie ten minutes befre half time, hence why i go missing at times ;)

Edited by MagicMushroom

As with every club there are fans at VP that demand instant success. I think since the influence of Sky a different attitude has evolved with some sectors of all clubs fan bases. For instance there were fans booing at the end of the first half against Everton at the start of the season  and there have been examples of this throughout the season.

It seems that there are some that demand and expect instant results and have less patience than perhaps others. I'm not suggesting that they are any less fervent in their support however maybe they are quicker to jump on the backs of under performing players than others. It's a reflection of society in general, everything nowadays seems to be current and disposable.

FWIW i think the fans have been magnificent this season, always at away grounds but in particular at the home defeat to Spuds.

I can hand on heart say in over 40 years of attending Villa matches I have never booed a Villa player as it is counter productive and all it does is help the opposition. Yes I have criticized them afterwards when discussing the game or I've criticized managers and officials but never any player whilst on the field of play.

All that matters to me is that we secure our premiership status at the end of the season, and in my view a supportive atmosphere at VP is more likely to help achieve it than a hostile atmosphere where players are nervous and edgy.

It doesn't make me a better fan than those that do, but maybe it means I'm more patient.

Edited by Robbie09
  • Like 2

We really don't need to be looking at it that deeply

Spurs winning today to make Utd more motivated will have no affect on whether we go down or not

neither will Spurs having more to play for against Wigan

We pick up at 6 points against Sunderland, Norwich and Wigan and we stay up

if we don't and fail miserably then frankly we deserve to go down

its in our hands alone

simples

This.

Its still in our hands quite simple.

Can someone explain why Sunderland and Stoke are safe as well?

Are they going to win all their remaining games?

Not so much a problem, more something we can improve on as a collective.

I think it could be improved.

One way of doing that, is reverting the north stand lower back to away fans. Knock the ticket prices down in the Holte, and get those fans back in there. Weve basicly split our vocal support, which is ok when your doing well, but when your struggling?

Holte is a like a morgue at times.

I read a few pages ago that the fans were a big reason why we are in a relegation battle...

Nobody actually said this. BJ10 seemed to think I'd said this, but we've seemed to have resolved the misunderstanding.

Edited by StefanAVFC