Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

I see we're misinterpreting posts now. We are where we are because we deserve to be. No-one ever said otherwise. Tell me this. Do you think we're better since January than we were up to January?

Read my post again where it states 'even though our form has improved' and i haven't misinterpreted your post at all. Your league table on current form is correct but the improvement in form hasn't transferred to actual league placement has it and thats where i'm coming from.

I'm seeing too many excuses on here including one poster yesterday implying that one reason for our poor home form was due to the reaction of our home support. Now we're also blaming our own fans for our current predicament.

My worry is that we will continue to make excuses right up to the point of relegation rather than actually excepting what has been the real problem this season and last.

Poor management, poor player purchases and awful decisions by the chairman and that, is the reality.  

Edited by Morpheus
  • Like 1

That suggests the experience we have been going through this season is a common event, and those wise old moderators can just look at all the times it's happened in the past and reassure us all it's going well.

I'm not sure how old you are but it's certainly the first time since I've been following Villa where we haven't gone down the '3 years then bust' model. I see us trying to achieve something genuinely different here. So no I'm not a 'wise old moderator' and I'm not even sure what being a moderator has to do with it. I'm commenting on what I can see. I see us improving. I see us doing so after a terrible start to the season and I see us doing it with signings who were almost exclusively youth that was cherry-picked from the lower levels. I believe; and have said so in the past; that Lambert is doing the 'Dortmund model' of taking young talent from the lower levels and turning it into stars rather than buying stars. It has an inherent risk to it (as we can see) and we've started it from a much weaker position than Dortmund usually do and we're still not sure it will work. But that's what I see happening. Probably partly necessitated by Lerner's M.O. of reduced spending and partly influenced by Lambert's Dortmund days and his coaching and badges achieved in Germany.

But if you read the posts I've made since posting the league table you'll see that the table is only an appendix to the main crux of my point which is that this group of talented but inexperienced players are getting better simply by playing and getting that experience.

• Like 2

Read my post again where it states 'even though our form has improved' and i haven't misinterpreted your post at all. Your league table on current form is correct but the improvement in form hasn't transferred to actual league placement has it and thats where i'm coming from.

I'm seeing too many excuses on here including one poster yesterday implying that one reason for our poor home form was due to the reaction of our home support. Now we're also blaming our own fans for our current predicament.

My worry is that we will continue to make excuses right up to the point of relegation rather than actually excepting what has been the real problem this season and last.

Poor management, poor player purchases and awful decisions by the chairman and that, is the reality.

I read it again and it makes just as much sense the second time. You responded to a post by me that was claiming we have improved in the 2nd half of the season by basically saying that when you put the 2 halves together we are positioned exactly where we deserve to be. That's hardly a rebuttal because no-one is disagreeing with it in the first place.

I thought you intentionally misinterpreted my post. Now I see that you just missed my point.

• Like 3

Also in the year that tv money goes up if we spent no money in the summer i find it hard to believe we'll be comfortable.

Also I'm not sure a bit more experience is suddenly going to change such an abysmal defence.

I'll be very dissapointed if we don't make some quality signings in the summer and I'd be once again worried about our premiership survival.

Also with the increase in tv money and virtually all the big earners of the books I'd be annoyed if decent money for new signings wasn't given to the manager.

Are you really interested or are you just going to use what i respond with as some sort of reason to call me negative or create some other witty response? I suspect you're not really interested in my opinion given responses I've had off you in the past so forgive me for not biting on this one.

Are you really interested or are you just going to use what i respond with as some sort of reason to call me negative or create some other witty response? I suspect you're not really interested in my opinion given responses I've had off you in the past so forgive me for not biting on this one.

You suspect wrong, I am interested as you were not happy with last summers spending. Also my responses to you in the past haven't exactly been commonplace and I've never made things personal to you I've just been fairly tongue in cheek with you such as the post in the Thatcher thread, which I 'liked' your response. I apologise if you are taking things so seriously.

Edited by Houlston

You suspect wrong, I am interested as you were not happy with last summers spending. Also my responses to you in the past haven't exactly been commonplace and I've never made things personal to you I've just been fairly tongue in cheek with you such as the post in the Thatcher thread, which I 'liked' your response. I apologise if you are taking things so seriously.

Sorry, that response does come across a little strong. I know your posts are usually tongue in cheek and I was just assuming that's where it was heading.

I wasn't happy last summer as I felt the squad needed a lot of improvement. I also didn't think the wages lambert was able to offer was good enough.

This summer I would hope for around £20 - £25 million but instead of last summer having it made available to bring in 3 or 4 quality players. I would also hope that competitive wages will be offered to again try to bring in the quality to improve us.

With the new tv money we really shouldn't be cheaping out again.

• Like 1

Taking our last 9 league games into consideration, we've  W 4

D 2

L 3

The  three defeats being against Man City , Arsenal and Liverpool . This suggests that we're actually not in relegation form and are a different proposition to the team of nightmares earlier in the year and those nightmares have actually scarred most of us mentally into thinking we are still shit.

I think most people can see that we're definitely playing better than we were at the start of the season. It's just the case of whether or not that beginning of the season is going to be the the price we pay for performing so poorly or if we can pull it off and beat the drop.

Some of us are optimistic. Some of us aren't. Hopefully we beat it.

• Like 1

It's also whether the improvement in form is good enough to keep us safe in the premier league. I don't think it is and I think there is a lit of overoptimism on this thread at the moment. We've just beaten 3 of the worst performing teams in the league and suddenly we're suposed to be in the safety zone? Our performance is the bare minimum to keep us clinging to 17th place.

Edited by briny_ear

I read it again and it makes just as much sense the second time. You responded to a post by me that was claiming we have improved in the 2nd half of the season by basically saying that when you put the 2 halves together we are positioned exactly where we deserve to be. That's hardly a rebuttal because no-one is disagreeing with it in the first place.

I thought you intentionally misinterpreted my post. Now I see that you just missed my point.

No i've neither misinterpreted your post nor missed your point.

I just feel its a fruitless exercise in posting a table that has no reflection on where we actually are and where we have been for most of the season. 

What I want to ask is .. When people say we need experience players "which I agree with" but like whom exactly ?!

Last two years we had a couple of experience players yet we were in the relegation battle !