Rino8

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I remember Souness suggesting (without even knowing) that we probably let the grass grow long as it works against top sides like Liverpool.

What a absolute prick. 

the logic of what he's saying makes sense, if you're a crisp quick short passing team then it will take you a bit of time to grasp the speed of the ball and weight your passes correctly

apart from if you actually watched the game...it wasnt the accuracy of liverpool's passing that what their problem, it was their defending and world class footballers will take a shorter amount of time to adapt than pub league players, same as mane and sane will at the AFCON or even the whole team will in the CL in different climates or even every week in the PL in different weather conditions and pitches watered to different standards, if the grass is long the ball is slower if the pitch is wet the ball is quicker, they can get over it very quickly

why souness said it was because he knows there is a huge portion of their fanbase that didnt actually watch the game

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the logic of what he's saying makes sense, if you're a crisp quick short passing team then it will take you a bit of time to grasp the speed of the ball and weight your passes correctly

apart from if you actually watched the game...it wasnt the accuracy of liverpool's passing that what their problem, it was their defending and world class footballers will take a shorter amount of time to adapt than pub league players, same as mane and sane will at the AFCON or even the whole team will in the CL in different climates or even every week in the PL in different weather conditions and pitches watered to different standards, if the grass is long the ball is slower if the pitch is wet the ball is quicker, they can get over it very quickly

why souness said it was because he knows there is a huge portion of their fanbase that didnt actually watch the game

Sure easier to blame Villa than Klopp for organising the back 4 to play an offside trap from inside our half

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Sure easier to blame Villa than Klopp for organising the back 4 to play an offside trap from inside our half

their fans would probably understand long grass = slower ball better than they would can't be offside in our own half... 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I agree there is logic in the principle, it was just the fact that he was implying that Villa could only have won via some kind of foul play / underhand tactic without knowing if it was true that pissed me off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

He said it because he’s a sad angry miserable man and he couldn’t fathom why Liverpool were getting absolutely dicked and had to clutch at straws bu making up some excuse. I think our groundsman tweeted saying that the pitch was at the exact same length it is for every single game and likely exactly the same length as the one at Anfield. To be honest, considering these pitches are incredibly expensive hybrid grass/artificial surfaces I’m not sure it’s even possible to grow the grass out long.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

From what I've read, lateral flow tests have a false positive rate of about 1 in 1,000 or 0.1% (false negative rate is higher as they don't always pick up weak infections, hence the confirmatory PCR tests), while PCR tests aren't really prone to false positives at all aside from lab error, etc.

Presumably the PL use PCR testing for their results as these are more reliable, but suppose a team reported a lot of positive tests on DIY lateral flow tests within about 24 hours of a match such that they wouldn't be able to field a team if all the results were confirmed, then they would probably decide to call off the game as the results might not be obtained in time.

How many is "a lot" of false positives, enough that Liverpool wouldn't be able to name 14 first team players? Well from 26, Salah and Mane are already away at AFCON, TAA actually has Covid, and let's say they have a few injuries, then maybe they need 6 false positive tests. Of course they've played a lot of kids in the League Cup who, as we know, now count as first team players in the PL too, but let's forget that apparently insignificant detail.

Now, 1 in 1000 is a low enough probability that it's already unlikely they had even 1 false positive, but well it does happen so let's go with it. 2? I'm no statistician so excuse me if this calculation is wrong but I think it's (1/1000)^2 * 100% =  0.0001% chance. for n false positives the probability is (1/1000)^n * 100%, so for n=6 the chance is 1 * 10^(-16) % or 0.0000000000000001%. 

Yeah I'm calling bullshit on this one.

The media will just nod along and roll over so Klopp can scratch their bellies 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Salah seems to think Liverpool are lowballing him in his contract talks

When your starting point as an almost thirty year old is "I'd like five years of half a million pounds a week" it's likely that you'll see any offer from actual planet earth as lowballing.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

When your starting point as an almost thirty year old is "I'd like five years of half a million pounds a week" it's likely that you'll see any offer from actual planet earth as lowballing.

Strong case for him being the best player in the World right now, though.  He could go anywhere he wants, so can ask for silly money... and Liverpool probably do 'need' to end up paying it.

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Strong case for him being the best player in the World right now, though.  He could go anywhere he wants, so can ask for silly money... and Liverpool probably do 'need' to end up paying it.

It's a tough spot for them, he's a good player and their fanbase love him, but he's not getting any younger and in four years time it's unlikely he'll be worth being the highest paid player in the league - one way or another, they're going to have to bite a bullet - either by cashing in and upsetting the Liverpool fanbase, or by overpaying and making their rebuild more difficult.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's a tough spot for them, he's a good player and their fanbase love him, but he's not getting any younger and in four years time it's unlikely he'll be worth being the highest paid player in the league - one way or another, they're going to have to bite a bullet - either by cashing in and upsetting the Liverpool fanbase, or by overpaying and making their rebuild more difficult.

Agree with the points you make but sadly I doubt he will be the highest paid player in the league in 4 years time. Unless something changes I can see wages shooting up. If he gets this and then Haaland (or similar) signs for City, United or Chelsea they'll want compatible or more money. 

• Like 1

at £500k a week im not sure who else takes him if im honest, maybe PSG post mbappe and messi but after that who's paying those type of wages and can continue to do so? barca and juve look like they're out, madrid will go for mbappe, PSG, city or bayern will land haaland

he should be one of the best paid players in the world as he is quite obviously one of the best players in the world, im just not sure on the market for him if he does leave 

• Like 1

I was looking at what the top wages are, and was surprised to see that Salah's requested £500k would put him level with Gareth Bale. No wonder he didn't want to move :D

If Suarez can still demand nearly £600k at the age of 34, I can certainly see why Salah is pushing for more. It's absolutely **** grotesque though, isn't it?  £26 million pounds a year, base salary, doubtless with loads of addons and sponsorships to top that up. 

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Liverpool will cave in and then he will promptly go into a career decline.

That usually happens when Arsenal sign older payers to long contracts :D 

So apparently Liverpool claim to have had as many as 40 players and staff initially test positive, yet the EFL have no plans to investigate the manner. In other, completely expected news, Tuchel says he believes Klop.. Rocket polishers, the lot of them

• Like 3

Â