Rino8

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I really don’t think this is a persistent problem, in fact I can’t recall ever seeing a ref blow up before the minimum time.

Intertoto cup - Villa against Celta Vigo I think, we were at the Hawthorns while the Trinity Road Stand was under construction - the ref was utterly mental throughout, he blew the final whistle after 86 minutes, took the players off then had to bring them back on after someone had a word.

Those were happy times.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Intertoto cup - Villa against Celta Vigo I think, we were at the Hawthorns while the Trinity Road Stand was under construction - the ref was utterly mental throughout, he blew the final whistle after 86 minutes, took the players off then had to bring them back on after someone had a word.

Those were happy times.

Sent a few off as well, one was for taking a throw in from the wrong place, I'm pretty sure.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Salah has been very quiet in recent games. He will go but guess its going to break the transfer record to buy him. 

which record?

Neymar €220m

M’Bappe €180m

Coutinho €145m

Felix €126m

I’m not sure how much Salah would go for, £70-90m tops I guess.

3 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Sent a few off as well, one was for taking a throw in from the wrong place, I'm pretty sure.

Dieter Schoch - complete barmpot.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news/red-didi-may-feel-official-wrath-over-villa-farce-696596.html

The 37-year-old official from Basle - known as "Red Didi" or "The Sheriff" in the Swiss League - issued 12 yellow cards and sent off Villa players Ian Taylor and Alan Thompson, as well as the Vigo defender Juan Velasco. He was labelled "unbelievably petty" by the Villa manager, John Gregory, who also described him as "an embarrassment to Uefa".

Herr Schoch, who ordered both sides to change strips before the start and had a dispute with Villa officials about socks, caused further consternation by blowing for full time when the stadium clock showed more than two minutes still to play. Amid protests he then allowed the match to continue a further five minutes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Those were happy times.

Blimey I remember that now, very dubious all the game that one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I really don’t think this is a persistent problem, in fact I can’t recall ever seeing a ref blow up before the minimum time.

It isn't a problem, I agree. The 4th official holds up the board for the nearest minute of added on time. If the Ref thinks there is 30 seconds extra needed, then the 4th official will hold up 1 minute - but that doesn't mean exactly 60 seconds - it's just they don't say "there will be at least zero minutes of added time", whereas if he had 1 minute 20 secs to add on, they will hold up 1 minute and play longer.

They don't stop the clock for throw ins. They count as "play", not interruptions to play (like injuries, penalty kick stoppages and substitutions etc.).

At least that's how I understand it to be done.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

It isn't a problem, I agree. The 4th official holds up the board for the nearest minute of added on time. If the Ref thinks there is 30 seconds extra needed, then the 4th official will hold up 1 minute - but that doesn't mean exactly 60 seconds - it's just they don't say "there will be at least zero minutes of added time", whereas if he had 1 minute 20 secs to add on, they will hold up 1 minute and play longer.

They don't stop the clock for throw ins. They count as "play", not interruptions to play (like injuries, penalty kick stoppages and substitutions etc.).

At least that's how I understand it to be done.

I thought the board was for a minimum of x minutes - so that if the referee thought only twenty seconds needed to be added, he'd just blow the whistle after twenty seconds with no board - I know they do that for half time sometimes.

Regardless, in this case, it's not the best bit of refereeing, but neither is it anything to be reporting him to FIFA for - sadly I'm sure we'll see the traditional Mersey-fatwa in action.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Nobody is paying 220 million for Salah even in the old market, Liverpool be lucky to get 80

£220m!!   Where the **** did that figure come from.

Someone has been on the glue in ever suggesting such a figure.

He's a £60m striker imo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Added time should be done like the rugby, the match clock should pause for breaks and stoppages.

I've always thought the same. I like the way they just carry on playing until the ball goes out of play after the 80 minutes are up. That's the right way to do it.

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I thought the board was for a minimum of x minutes - so that if the referee thought only twenty seconds needed to be added, he'd just blow the whistle after twenty seconds with no board - I know they do that for half time sometimes.

Regardless, in this case, it's not the best bit of refereeing, but neither is it anything to be reporting him to FIFA for - sadly I'm sure we'll see the traditional Mersey-fatwa in action.

That’s correct, the 4th official tracks all stoppages (not the ball going out) during a half and that gives the time they put on the board which is the minimum added time. The ref will then add to that for delays within that time.

So if the board goes up with 4 mins then there is a sub or injury he will add additional time to that.

9 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

the 4th official tracks all stoppages (not the ball going out) during a half and that gives the time they put on the board which is the minimum added time.

I thought (I'm certain) that the on field ref was the arbiter and tells the 4th official (who also keeps a track on it, in case the ref's  forgets to note a play stopped time period for something?). It surely has to be the ref, because only he can decide about "time wasting" . Anyone else is providing a kind of back-up in case the ref has a problem.

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Added time should be done like the rugby, the match clock should pause for breaks and stoppages.

I really don’t know why they don’t do this already tho suspect it has something to do with advertisement/sponsors or some other related commercial crap.

It'd be difficult to know what constitutes a stoppage and when the clock is stopped - for example, do you stop the clock for throw ins, do you stop it between the ref blowing for a foul and the free kick being taken?

On average in a Premier League game, the ball is in play for 59 minutes and 23 seconds. 

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

£220m!!   Where the **** did that figure come from.

Someone has been on the glue in ever suggesting such a figure.

He's a £60m striker imo.

60 is almost as outrageous as 220. We're talking about the top goalscorer in the league for the past 4 years. Broke the single season scoring record. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

60 is almost as outrageous as 220. We're talking about the top goalscorer in the league for the past 4 years. Broke the single season scoring record. 

I think 60-90 million is fair, he isnt technical enough to worth investing more into him. I wouldn't be surprised if he went for less than Hazard

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think 60-90 million is fair, he isnt technical enough to worth investing more into him. I wouldn't be surprised if he went for less than Hazard

I don't know, it sounds to me like when people try to value Jack at 60m or whatever. By no metric is he worth less than what Lukaku went for, for example. 

58 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It'd be difficult to know what constitutes a stoppage and when the clock is stopped - for example, do you stop the clock for throw ins, do you stop it between the ref blowing for a foul and the free kick being taken?

On average in a Premier League game, the ball is in play for 59 minutes and 23 seconds. 

Yes agreed there would need to be ground rules, I think for VAR calls it should defo be stopped, likewise for injuries - if a player needs medical assistance for example (which might begin to cut down on the gamesmanship around treatment for ‘injuries’).

If a ref feels a team are time wasting purposely they could then threaten to have it stopped every time they get a set piece as well, rather than issuing an obligatory yellow card in the 90th minute after they’ve been time wasting for the whole match.

3 hours ago, Genie said:

which record?

Neymar €220m

M’Bappe €180m

Coutinho €145m

Felix €126m

I’m not sure how much Salah would go for, £70-90m tops I guess.

Why would you think he would go for less than some of those? Hes got an incredible goal scoring record for Liverpool. Hes one of the top players in world football. 

Â