Rino8

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers tells Stewart Downing to show commitment

Stewart Downing has been told he must fight for his Liverpool future.

The England winger has started just one Premier League game under Rodgers, who fast-tracked teenager Raheem Sterling to the side on his arrival at Anfield in the summer.

And the manager wants to see evidence of Downing's commitment before he considers using the £20m signing more regularly.

He said: "Stewart is a good guy and a good lad who came here for an awful lot of money. It hasn't quite worked out for him as he would want it.

"The big challenge for him now is that commitment to the cause to fight, because he has the qualities.

"He has a wonderful left foot but what is important is that it is more than

talent. Talent alone is not enough. You have to work hard, you have to fight for the shirt.

"We have seen that in a number of the young players and if you don't do that then longer-term you won't be here. It is as simple as that really."

Left-back Jose Enrique is in the same boat as Downing and Rodgers said: "What is important is that you have good communication. I don't waste my time waiting until January to tell both players what I know now."

Sky Sports

Poor Stewart, he's trying his best :(

:lol:

I am getting pretty sick of this club now.

Their manager (seemingly a good guy) and Gerrard have both openly expressed their feelings about decisions going against them and hoping to get the rub of the green. Gerrard are now saying that their two displays against Man City and Man Utd warranted 6 points etc etc, saying their draw against Sunderland would have been a good result if they had won those matches. Excuse me? You did not win those matches, and what are you saying, even on your best day you still cannot win?

Against Man United pretty much everyone agrees the Shelvey tackle was way over the top and deserved a red card. In the best case, it was "harsh", but still it was not wrong. There is a huge difference between wrong and harsh, as within every rulebook that tacle was wrong. The Suarez-penalty? Yes, it could and should have been a penalty However, from the refs angle it looked like Evans touched the ball and Suarez did overplay. All in all, slightly wrong decision maybe, but not a disaster at all and it really is something that happens every game. The Utd-penalty? When you tackle as the last man you have to get the ball cleanly. Johnson barely touched Valencia with his hand, as well as brushing his heel, but all in all that is enough to get him out of balance right before he is going to shoot. The two situations put together was pretty harsh on Liverpool, but in NO way was any of them diabolical. If a guy is tackled right at the ankle on his way through you can say it is a disaster if a penalty is not awarded, and if a player is diving without contact you can get mad if a penalty is given at the other end. However, in this case both examples are tough and it went against Liverpool. A referee cannot hold back a penalty call because he has heard that he should have given one 10 minutes earlier.

Anyway, I love the misery for Liverpool. Always bitching about every little decision. Tell you what, would Liverpool have won if Shelvey had stayed on? Why? Most likely United would have made moves in the second half and won the game anyway. They have better players and a better manager, something Liverpool always seem to forget.

I sincerely hope Liverpool lose against Norwich tomorrow, but just wait, something will happen that they will use as an excuse. If only Suarez had hit those 9 attempts inside the goalposts instead of outside, because he is world-class you know, and if only that outside-post hit had gone in, they hit the most crossbars you know!

Every line of that is untrue and nothing more than a silly bitter rant.

If I thought for one minute you were open and objective enough to be interested in the facts i would go into detail to put you right but we both know your only interested in the anti-LFC slight.

No-one connected with LFC has said Shelvey shouldnt of went, what they have said is that Evans' tackle was equally bad and he should of went too which the gif and picture earlier in the thread show. (It doesn't matter that he touched the ball btw, any two footed lunge is a straight red the FA rules say).

Suarez hasn't dived once this season and had 3 stone wall pens not given. Even Gary Neville who hates Liverpool with a passion said the tackle where he was booked for diving was a penalty when you watched the reply and he was booked for no other reason than the fact of who he was. You can't ref like that no matter how tempting it is.

Suarez's diving is over. He may throw his arms or head up but nearly all players do that, inparticular Chav and Utd players. I'm lucky to get info from a LFC player (who used to play for Villa) and I know Suarez has been given a code of conduct for sporting play this season by Rodger's of what he can and can't do and Suarez, as well as the rest of LFC players, have been told if they blatantly dive they'll be reprimanded.

Given how much work Rodger's has put in to try and make sure there LFC playrs stay sporting you can understand why he's cheesed off after doing all this he's getting no benefit from doing so and has actually said he may as well just not bothered and let Suarez carry on.

I find it hilarious that on the main Villa forum there is a thread about LFC which is posted in more regularly than a Birmingham thread and is much higher up on the board than it, when Birmingham are meant to be your biggest rivals, and LFC are not, and never have been since I've been around, your rivals.

Liverpool are just like any other club. We do whatever we can do to give us the best chance of winning in a fair and sporting way. Some are getting us and Chelsea mixed up. They have been by FAR the worst for diving etc this season and no-ones mentioned them?

All we want is some consistency which we haven't had from the Refs lately obviously (If you watched MOTD last night you will have heard them highlight this), and the FA (Terry ban less than Suarez's when there was actually some evidence of Terry doing the crime in his case).

Villa fans would also be in uproar if you'd had the continaully abysmal ref performances we've had all this season and unless you have watched all 90 mins of all our games this season in the league and league cup I don't particularly value your opinion as you will have no idea what LFC are on about because most of the bad decisions are never on the highlights shows (like Barnetts Red card tackle that he only got a yellow for yesterday) and don't get mentioned in the media until Rodgers went out of his way to try and bring attention to it.

Its refreshing to see a few good obejctive posters in this thread though that are willing to put ill feelings to one side and debate the points as they appear (like the people who said about Agger being reqlly hurt and down for while which couldn't be helped when someone suggested it was done on purpose. He couldn't walk at the time and it was suspected he had a torn ACL, luckily for us it wasn't but we all thought he was out for the season!), rather than take it as LFC always being in the wrong and blaming them because of hatred so thanks to them.

What will be 'enough' commemoration do you think?

I'm normally all for slagging LFC but in fairness this is their first home game since they got their justice. It's also quite timely as it is a more significant gesture given the opposition on the day and I think it's an ideal opportunity to remind those (many) who have forgotten that not everyone within football is a word removed. Hell there is even rumoured to be a handshake between you know who and ju know who so it'll be quite the significant day all round.

Thanks for this post, its very welcome and heartening. I cant believe with everything thats come out about Hillsborough and the cover up and people are STILL having their little cheap shots.

That was LFCs FIRST and ONLY commemoration since the TRUTH finally came out to answer the original poster.

Was that too much for your liking was it?

The tribal nature of football is disgusting far too much of the time as the crass comment BOF was responding too goes to show.

Its refreshing to see a few good obejctive posters in this thread though that are willing to put ill feelings to one side and debate the points as they appear
Are you the poster who was giving it loads concerning Suarez's innocence only to disappear when the guilty verdict came out? :detect:

Villa fans would also be in uproar if you'd had the continaully abysmal ref performances we've had all this season....

Welcome to the real world, you better get used to it now you're just an ordinary Premier League team you'll find it happens most matches.

I don't need to have seen every minute of every game to know Suarez has dived this season, I only need to have seen him dive

Suarez hasn't dived once this season and had 3 stone wall pens not given. Even Gary Neville who hates Liverpool with a passion said the tackle where he was booked for diving was a penalty when you watched the reply and he was booked for no other reason than the fact of who he was. You can't ref like that no matter how tempting it is.

That. Is. Spectacular.

Are you suggesting there is a league-wide conspiracy theory against Luis Suarez? looooooool

Saurez has dived several times this season.

He's also been fouled and denied genuine penalties.

If he didn't dive he'd get them more often. Simple enough really.

If Liverpool fans think that Saurez staying on his feet once or twice when he would have gone down before will make referees think he's turned a new leaf then they are very deluded. Suarez has a reputation as a diver. I think everyone agrees that he doesn't get the decisions he perhaps should any more.. but it will take a while for him to shift that reputation, not just 'LOOK LOOK! HE STAYED ON HIS FEET THAT TIME! HE DOESN'T DIVE ANY MORE! SEE?!'

Even when he gets fouled he goes down like he is diving.

Not for the one I saw on Sat. He got elbowed in the back of the neck and had his legs taken away at the same time, it was a complete and utter hatchet job he had no time to go down in any fashion other than a sack of spuds.

It made me laugh, it really did, he reaps what he has sown. Zero sympathy, its karma catching up with him.

Must have been said already, but Suarez second goal :crylaugh:, he misses a chance and you can see several hundred/thousand Norwich supporter giving him the w.anker display and generally taking the piss. 15 seconds later he mugs the sleeping centre half and bends one into the far corner. I bet those fans felt small time after that.

I'd have just stood there with a stupid grin and my hand to my ear :D

Must have been said already, but Suarez second goal :crylaugh:, he misses a chance and you can see several hundred/thousand Norwich supporter giving him the w.anker display and generally taking the piss. 15 seconds later he mugs the sleeping centre half and bends one into the far corner. I bet those fans felt small time after that.

I'd have just stood there with a stupid grin and my hand to my ear :D

that reminded me of our fans vs Balotelli...

They're running a program called "Being Liverpool" over here right now. Three episodes in, and it's pretty tame stuff. Clive Owen narrates it. Not sure why. Starts off with them touring the States, boring interviews with players, some match footage, but a lot of Brendan Rogers. Not sure what to make of him. And the players don't seem to either...he's got a little David Brent in him, and found myself cringing a few times.

He's big on team speeches, but I have no idea how some of the foreign players who can't speak English understand what the hell it is he's talking about. Can't say I'm a fan of these "exclusive" club look-ins...If I was a manager, especially one at a new club, the last thing I'd want is a camera crew filming me and my players all the time. Too much information that could be used against you on and off the pitch.

Â