Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

He was rightly criticised last season and is being rightly lauded this.

He wasn't being criticised - he was being written off as a waste of money and not good enough. Big difference in being criticised (informed criticism) and written off as no good (shit in other words).

Ah, fair enough then. I personally was disappointed with him last season but never wrote him off.

Over a long distance - a run from inside his own half for example - Ramires would definitely have burned him. Over a shorter distance, I think Vlaar is probably the faster though - he doesn't take as long to get going. A red card would have been clearly the wrong decision.

https://vine.co/v/MheDAumV2O6

yet on MOTD siad he would not catch Ramires

The size difference between the two of them is quite stark actually - Vlaar looks huge next to Hazard.

He was rightly criticised last season and is being rightly lauded this.

He wasn't being criticised - he was being written off as a waste of money and not good enough. Big difference in being criticised (informed criticism) and written off as no good (shit in other words).

Ah, fair enough then. I personally was disappointed with him last season but never wrote him off.

Mate  I too was dissappointed in quite a few players but unlike some myself and many others (you included) wanted to reserve judgment which is what we should all do and not rush to conclusions.

• Like 1

Over a long distance - a run from inside his own half for example - Ramires would definitely have burned him. Over a shorter distance, I think Vlaar is probably the faster though - he doesn't take as long to get going. A red card would have been clearly the wrong decision.

The size difference between the two of them is quite stark actually - Vlaar looks huge next to Hazard.

That's because he is. Vlaar is 6'2 and Hazard is only 5'7. Vlaar's built like a brick shithouse.

That's because he is. Vlaar is 6'2 and Hazard is only 5'7. Vlaar's built like a brick shithouse.

Brick shithouse? Hahaa...

I don't even think he was *that* bad last season. Ok he definitely wasn't great but it didn't help that he had to babysit Clark and/or Baker all the time. We still depended on him immensely last season.

He was fine last season.

He's undoubtedly improved this season, but he was still good last season.

People just scapegoated him. We always have one, rightly or wrongly, and last season it was Vlaar

• Like 3

Just seen on wikipedia that his contract expires in 2015, getting him to sign a new one needs to be priority number one as soon as we're safe. He's so important to us it's frightening!

We're currently in talks to sort a new deal, taking a while though

I actually think he is our best and most important player. Obviously the stats back that up and we all know what happens if Vlaar goes off or is injured.

I know Benteke, as a striker, sticks out more to fans and the regular public alike but I seriously would not be surprised to see a big club come in for Vlaar this Summer.

I said it before but his attributes would be a perfect fit for say Serie A, Juventus for example. Somebody mentioned Man United possibly coming in for him, I don't think that is too far fetched either to be honest.

Stop making exuses for this guy he is our weake link bigtime as he was last season !!!!.Should not be captain let alone starting 11.It's a shame Okore is injuried.Lambert needs to wake up to himself and drop him.Problem is that now there is not much to replace him either.

Absolutely spot on. People keep making excuses for him having to "babysit" the likes of Clark and Baker, when I don't think he's as good as either of them. Terrible player.

Agree to disagree.

• Like 3

I had a disagreement with someone on this thread a while ago, who was questioning whether Vlaar was any better than Collins. I think it's now as clear as day that Vlaar is better than him.

I thought the fact it was even questioned was ridiculous. I guess some of us are just better at judging a players ability/ potential than others.... B)

;)

• Like 1

Ron is unimpeachable. I will never forget when he made a huge effort to return not fully fit against Sunderland. Hero.  :)

I agree, even though I'm not quite sure what unimpeachable means.

• Like 4

Â