Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Yeah but most sides wouldn't suffer to this extent even if they had their first-choice centre-backs out.

Is it how good Vlaar is ? - or how poor the replacements are ? - If when Vlaar was injured we had another decent calibre CB to step in, his absence wouldn't be so painful. Really poor from Lambert to have only 1 senior CB

How do we know he didn't try to rectify this? We hear nothing from the club regarding potential transfers or transfer targets. For all we know he was doing all he could to bring someone in, but there was no-one better available within our budget.

Do or do not - there is no try.

• Like 1

Yet the assertion that he 'only looks good because of the players around him' comes back again. Why can't we, as fans, celebrate a decent player as a decent player without slagging them off.

Because nothing related to Villa can ever be good. It's why when we win it's just because the other team are poor.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 2

Yet the assertion that he 'only looks good because of the players around him' comes back again. Why can't we, as fans, celebrate a decent player as a decent player without slagging them off.

Because nothing related to Villa can ever be good. It's why when we win it's just because the other team are poor.
Yeah, VERY annoying and disappointing to read that our own fans turn Vlaar's quality performances into Clark's incompetence. Edited by AVTuco

I think its depressing that as a football club our season hinges on whether we can keep a £2.5million defender fit.

Or, just saying that a more positive view exists and is logically defensible..... "What an amazing piece of business to get an absolutely critical player to our success for such a small cost.... well done to the business end of the club!"

I don't disagree with that at all, for what we paid we got a bargain, but we are so reliant on two players, him & benteke that its worrying, as a team without these 2 we struggle and that's not right

Every club has those few players who are arguably more important than others, but we fall apart when vlaar isn't in the team, its scary just how important he is to us

I think its depressing that as a football club our season hinges on whether we can keep a £2.5million defender fit.

Or you could look at it we’re a couple of decent players away from a very solid decent team, especially as the only real thing Vlaar offers is experience. Imagine what a couple of decent players with that experience would do...

Aston Villa’s Ron Vlaar claims to be match fit following injury as he targets a leading role in the midlanders bid to steer clear of trouble.

With Paul Lambert's side sat just four points above the drop zone, the Dutch defender told the Birmingham Mail: "I feel good, it's 100 per cent now.

"It was frustrating, after my calf injury in December, but I've only missed the West Ham game this time.

"Sometimes you have to make a choice. It is not about one game, it is about 12 or 13, so that's the most important thing.

"The West Ham game was just a little too soon and I shouldn't have played, so that was the right decision from all of us.

"You have to take it from one game to another. Fitness is so important and you can't play at 95 per cent in the Premier League."

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/vlaar-ready-battle-villa-s-premiership-survival-4008200#.UwKUUvl_ua8

• Like 1

I'm sorry for this result, unnecessary, can't say more now....

-Ron Vlaar on Twitter

Other than that one uncharacteristic mistake that Newcastle hit the post from, I thought Vlaar was excellent again today.
Edited by jayEm
  • Like 1

I love the man, he was brilliant today (attempted turn in the box aside). It's nice to have a player you can tell is as gutted as us when we lose, and as happy when we win. His passion for the club is great.

• Like 1

I'm sorry for this result, unnecessary, can't say more now....

-Ron Vlaar on Twitter

Other than that one uncharacteristic mistake that Newcastle hit the post from, I thought Vlaar was excellent again today.

He better be careful with messages like that, or people on here will be slating him for caring again. What a bastard.

Good buy from Lambert and a calculated risk obviously at the time with Ron's injury history. Shame we have to put so much pressure on him as our only proven defender but let's sign him up again and look for a more decent backup than Clark or Baker.

He didn't want to square it to Baker in case he lost it, then went on to lose it himself.

Playing in our side, he's really having to take a lot on his shoulders.

I don't think he's 100% fit myself, but he has to play on or we'd lose every game.

• Like 1

Â