Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Is this the very same Ron Vlaar that many on here were saying is not good enough or the quality of player we need at Villa. I gues it is common on most forums not just VT to suddenly realise that actually the said player is not at all that bad and that maybe just maybe that said player was judged too soon.

I said to my mate on Saturday - that he is deceptively quick and reminds me in some ways of Alan Evans. He is the rock to build the defence on (and when Okore is back they will be the foundations that the defence will be built on).

Is this the very same Ron Vlaar that many on here were saying is not good enough or the quality of player we need at Villa. I gues it is common on most forums not just VT to suddenly realise that actually the said player is not at all that bad and that maybe just maybe that said player was judged too soon.

He was very much a scapegoat last season.

Admittedly, he wasn't as good last season as he has been this season. But he was still a decent player, and the contrast in our results with him in the team compared to without was obvious back then too. But people decided he'd take the brunt of the blame for everything.

No more obvious than after the Bradford game. Remember Ron's passionate interview afterwards where he was visibly upset about losing?

People were actually using that as a negative. As if they'd rather he didn't give a shit.

He was very much a scapegoat last season.

Admittedly, he wasn't as good last season as he has been this season. But he was still a decent player, and the contrast in our results with him in the team compared to without was obvious back then too. But people decided he'd take the brunt of the blame for everything.

No more obvious than after the Bradford game. Remember Ron's passionate interview afterwards where he was visibly upset about losing?

People were actually using that as a negative. As if they'd rather he didn't give a shit.

Oh! I agree - remember it well. It took him around a season to adjust or to 'find his feet' as it were. It took Bacuna a little less but he was treated with the same sort of judgement after just a few games. At least not enough to make a sound and informed judgement.

Hope we have learned our lesson and give players more time than currently given at this moment in time.

I don't even think he was *that* bad last season. Ok he definitely wasn't great but it didn't help that he had to babysit Clark and/or Baker all the time. We still depended on him immensely last season.

He was rightly criticised last season and is being rightly lauded this.

He wasn't being criticised - he was being written off as a waste of money and not good enough. Big difference in being criticised (informed criticism) and written off as no good (shit in other words). 

• Like 4

He was rightly criticised last season and is being rightly lauded this.

He wasn't being criticised - he was being written off as a waste of money and not good enough. Big difference in being criticised (informed criticism) and written off as no good (shit in other words).

Even last season he was Premier League quality...just not premier league top quality. Now I think he's Premier League top quality.

Â