Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Vlaar is still our best defender when on his game he doesn't seem to go well with Clark though. We are quite solid really at CB and if he does sign we won't need to address it and can look at getting 2 quality FB's to finish off a good back four.

If he decides to stay then I would be happy about that. I think Tim has made such a difference at the club that players want to stay with/join the Villa now. I would far prefer him to be with us rather than playing against us next season. It would represent another positive signing and it might help Benteke want to stick around when he sees another international pledge his future to our club.   

I rate him more than some but his injury problems this season took an even bigger downturn and with him entering his thirties, it's not going to get any better. I'd rather let him go and prioritise the promising Clark/Okore partnership next season.

Not fussed if he stays or not. I suppose if he stays that saves us money as 5 CBs even with all their various injuries is more than enough for a premier league team even being in europe but can't say his performances have been anything special this season bar the first 3 games when he continued his level from the World cup.

You'd assume he'd sign any new deal on condition he remains a starter but I'd rather start next season with Clark-Okore. Clark-Vlaar is unconvincing, he's actually better with Baker for some reason and Senderos from the August games.

We're in quite a weird position with CBs - essentially got 5 players who have all shown capable of being very good at times, but all also had spells of being mistake-prone. Additionally they have all had a fair amount of injury problems, either regularly out for short-medium periods (Vlaar, Clark, Baker) or had one significant lay-off (Senderos & Okore). Generally you have to think that it's better to be picking the same CB partnership regularly throughout the season and this mix of inconsistent form & injuries are going to make that highly unlikely to happen for us.

At the same time though, keep Vlaar and we've probably got better depth in this position than most clubs in the league as not many clubs will have 5 CBs of equivalent experience. Reliable options are not that easy to come by, either. Players who look good in other leagues can look weak here (think of Fazio and Chiriches, two expensive Spurs purchases with good reputation who've not exactly shone in this league). Vlaar may be one of our highest paid players but we do know what we are getting if we keep him & you could easily spend those wages on a transfer fee that turns out to be a total waste.

• Like 2

Tim Sherwood says Ron Vlaar is ready to sign new Aston Villa contract

• Holland defender has been linked with Manchester United

• ‘I’ve sat down with Ron and he says he wants to stay’

Sinclair set to join Aston Villa in £2.5m deal from Manchester City

Tim-Sherwood-Ron-Vlaar-003.jpg
Tim Sherwood, left, says he has made it clear to Ron Vlaar that he does not want him to walk away from Aston Villa when his current contract runs out this summer. Photograph: James Marsh/BPI/Rex Shutterstock

Stuart James

Friday 22 May 2015 22.30 BST Last modified on Friday 22 May 2015 22.32 BST

Tim Sherwood believes Ron Vlaar will give Aston Villa a major boost by signing a new deal. Vlaar is out of contract this summer and the expectation was that he would leave Villa on a free transfer but Sherwood recently held talks with the Holland international and, on the back of those discussions, said he was confident the defender would commit his future to the club.

“I’ve actually sat down with Ron and I’ve told him I want him to stay, and he says he wants to stay,” Sherwood, the Villa manager, said. “He’s indicated to me that he’s happy here at the football club and that he would like the club to talk to his representatives about him staying. I’m thinking the same way so I’m sure something will get done. Both parties are willing so I can see him being here next season.”

Outstanding in the World Cup last year, when he helped Louis van Gaal’s Holland side reach the semi-final, Vlaar has been linked with Manchester United at various points in the season as well as with a number of overseas clubs. Villa were resigned to losing Vlaar at one stage but Sherwood’s arrival as manager, allied to an improvement in results in the final three months of the season, appears to have prompted the 30-year-old, who was signed from Feyenoord in 2012, to give serious thought to staying.

“Obviously Ron is going to have a lot of options, he’s a free transfer, he’s still a full international, he came back from the World Cup last year and he’ll go to the European Championship next summer,” Sherwood said. “He’s just been called up for the national team again, so he’s a man who’s in demand. It’s credit to the football club that he feels this is the best option for him.”

Although Villa look much more secure defensively with Vlaar in the team, the centre-half has suffered badly with injuries this season and missed more than half of the club’s Premier League matches. Sherwood admitted that was something that would need to be addressed in the long term.

“I want to keep him fit as long as I can, so we’ll have to have a look at that process as well because I think the best results come when Ron’s playing,” he said. “He’s a good character to have around, he’s a good teacher to the younger players, a very calming experience, knows the game and he’s got that level of experience.”

Here

Not a good move at all!! Specially when can get someone like Fabian Schar who's like 6 years younger on bosman free with the money that Ron will want and Schar is much better

His contract is until 2016 and no guarantee he would go to Villa

Would be fairly happy to keep him. If only we could get Senderos fit... as good as the Okore/Clark pairing has been at times, Senderos/Vlaar at the start of the season was the most complete I've seen from us in a long time, and Okore in particular doesn't need to be playing every game just yet anyway.

Edited by the_eristic

I'm happy if he stays. He has qualities we need, is respected and experienced.

Clark was my POTY and together with Okore they had a very good spell during the season. Their success is a relatively new story though, so I wouldn't count on them being our clear cut first choice pairing next season. With all the injuries we likely need many good CBs during next season aswell. Our current five know each other and are good enough, therefore I'm content with all them continuing.

• Like 1

Not wanting to sound cynical but this strikes me as if no other clubs, despite plenty of speculation have offered him a deal so he'll stay put.

This is possible, but it works for us. We'll get him cheaper.

• Like 1

I rate him more than some but his injury problems this season took an even bigger downturn and with him entering his thirties, it's not going to get any better. I'd rather let him go and prioritise the promising Clark/Okore partnership next season.

I'm sure Fergie thought the same about a certain mr McGrath. The rest as they say......is history .

All of that back line has injury problems mainly caused by not working as a unit,  the balance of our defence in large has never  been right.

We need new blood in there and a leader or captain if possible,the season we have had proves that this defence cannot perform over the entire

year and usually ends up of a miss match and fish out of water. Think vlaar could stay it is all about the deal and position we plan to play him in.

Â