General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

Ah but you're forgetting, he's foreign so must be good!

Fletcher meanwhile is boring and British.........no-one any good ever comes from boring old Britain.

Let's all go sign the next Bosko Balaban, or Vaclav Drobny, or Mustapha Salifou.......

stupid argument in my opinion. what about them great British players like Warnock, Heskey and Delph who cost a lhell of a lot more than 3 you mentioned.

people dont want to sign foreign or british players. they want good players

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnson seems like a young Downing to me. Do we want to spend 10M+ on another Downing?
Yes please

THIS.

Its exactly what we need. A winger who not only takes people on for fun, but one who has a fantastic delivery and can also score.

Guidetti linked to Sunderland again for £6m, they say City have given the greenlight for him to hold talks with Sunderland, so a bit more than just idle speculation MON may be interested.. could still be bull.

They're looking to have Saha + Guidetti as a partnership according to the article.

Really hope we're looking at Guidetti considering injuries to Gabby and Holman and the likelihood Bent will get injured again.

i dont think theres a sell to buy thing going on. i dont think were waiting to get rid off the deadweight before bringing new players in

I do however think that they are looking for some suitable players, and i do belive there are dealings going on that doesnt get leaked. There is some panicing going on here due to the silence, doesnt nessecarily mean they arent doing anything.

I could be wrong though, wouldnt be the first time!

Id want a striker (not fing carrol) and a defensive minded player or two.

On the whole - if you don't hear anything happening - its because nothing is.............I can't remember the last time a signing was announced a complete surprise .

Actually, a lot of our signings have comes as a relative surprise. No one had even mentioned KEA for example until suddenly a Dutch paper said he was joining us. Within about 4 days he'd signed.

Hearing about a player and him signing 4 days later is hardly a surprise signing.

Going against the tide, I personally don't really rate Adam Johnson. Attacking and direct, yes but also one sided and one dimensional. Also not convinced he would really fit in with PLs style of play + I think there have been some doubts cast over his attitude. I think Downing is a better player btw.

Also, I have more pragmatic view on our transfer activity. Getting the right players together isn't simply a matter of opening the chequebook and calling around agents. What's happening at Villa is a rebuilding process and this could take quite a few transfer windows to get to a good base. PL knows we need to be more sustainable and wants to really maximise his resources so I don't think he'll be making knee jerk reactions. I think this is the right long term approach.

FWIW I think we might see another couple of additions, esp if we see an out or two, but this might not happen unless other factors fall into place (though I think loaning J2M opens up some space). However, if we didn't make any more signings I wouldn't be getting my pants in a twist as the re-building is longer term than just this window and it's important to get the RIGHT players in and that sometimes takes time.

Going against the tide, I personally don't really rate Adam Johnson. Attacking and direct, yes but also one sided and one dimensional. Also not convinced he would really fit in with PLs style of play + I think there have been some doubts cast over his attitude. I think Downing is a better player btw.

Also, I have more pragmatic view on our transfer activity. Getting the right players together isn't simply a matter of opening the chequebook and calling around agents. What's happening at Villa is a rebuilding process and this could take quite a few transfer windows to get to a good base. PL knows we need to be more sustainable and wants to really maximise his resources so I don't think he'll be making knee jerk reactions. I think this is the right long term approach.

FWIW I think we might see another couple of additions, esp if we see an out or two, but this might not happen unless other factors fall into place (though I think loaning J2M opens up some space). However, if we didn't make any more signings I wouldn't be getting my pants in a twist as the re-building is longer term than just this window and it's important to get the RIGHT players in and that sometimes takes time.

I agree with all these points except i don't believe anyone would be pissed off if we signed Johnson, if City did let him go we wouldn't be at the front of the queue either.

Good post. I think as fans we have to appriecate the scale of the mess left behind by MON along with the sale of 3 of our best players. Last season was also a massive blunder by the club which has set us back even further. We are back at the stage we were when Lerner took over but with a different man in charge and not as much money to spend. I doubt he will ever manage to do the job MON did in terms of league position but hopefully the squad will be one that can grow each year instead of short time quick fix which eventually leads to starting all over again

It's time for a lot of patience again lads.

Good post. I think as fans we have to appriecate the scale of the mess left behind by MON along with the sale of 3 of our best players. Last season was also a massive blunder by the club which has set us back even further. We are back at the stage we were when Lerner took over but with a different man in charge and not as much money to spend. I doubt he will ever manage to do the job MON did in terms of league position but hopefully the squad will be one that can grow each year instead of short time quick fix which eventually leads to starting all over again

It's time for a lot of patience again lads.

i kind of agree with this although the feel good factor won't last long if we end up in a relegation dogfight again, and despite the fact Lambert is 100 times the manager of McCleish i don't think the squad has yet improved in depth or quality enough for us not to struggle especially if we get unlucky with injuries, and that is my main worry, Lambert is not a miracle worker, there has been no revolution, more evolution and the promise things will very slowly improve.

i dont think theres a sell to buy thing going on. i dont think were waiting to get rid off the deadweight before bringing new players in

I do however think that they are looking for some suitable players, and i do belive there are dealings going on that doesnt get leaked. There is some panicing going on here due to the silence, doesnt nessecarily mean they arent doing anything.

On the whole - if you don't hear anything happening - its because nothing is.............I can't remember the last time a signing was announced a complete surprise .

Actually, a lot of our signings have comes as a relative surprise. No one had even mentioned KEA for example until suddenly a Dutch paper said he was joining us. Within about 4 days he'd signed.

Hearing about a player and him signing 4 days later is hardly a surprise signing.

In the grand scheme of things it is in a way. How long has Johnson been linked to us for example?

It was a surprise in that we weren't linked with him at all (barring that one scouting report from February) and then within a couple of days the deal was all but done.

in football terms i probably say it is.. alot of transfers you hear about weeks before hand, people talking openly in the press "flirting" with players etc.

I wouldnt be supprised if lambert has inquired and had offers refused for players. Deals that never reached the press nor us.

Totally agree. For me Johnson is MASSIVELY overrated on here, people are calling him another Zog, but Zog has actually achieved more in premier league football. For me Johnson is Zog only faster feet, poorer shooting and Zog actually has a bit of a footballing brain, unlike Johnson!

Without a new winger and/or striker we can get by, but without a new LB we will have one hell of a glaring weakness! Our only LB is Warnock, and that terrifies me!

So long as we get a left back between now and the deadline I will be happy!

Totally agree. For me Johnson is MASSIVELY overrated on here, people are calling him another Zog, but Zog has actually achieved more in premier league football. For me Johnson is Zog only faster feet, poorer shooting and Zog actually has a bit of a footballing brain, unlike Johnson!

Without a new winger and/or striker we can get by, but without a new LB we will have one hell of a glaring weakness! Our only LB is Warnock, and that terrifies me!

So long as we get a left back between now and the deadline I will be happy!

I dont think adam johnson is any different to michael kightly in terms of ability. i dont get all the fuss over him to be honest.

johnson has not been given the same chance/playtime as downing or zog. I think he has the potential to be better than both, and in some cases thats what you have to go for. I think hed be a good signing, but not at any price or salary.